£170000 in 10 years

Comments

• try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi themadvix ,sorry ,i hadnt looked up the page .Definitely a good idea at the minute to save and also have it there ,available if desperately needed at some time and it feels wonderful to have some money in the bank for the first time ever .I am not sure when i first came on to this board and began overpaying and saving ,i will have to look it up ,maybe six months ,so in that time i have saved £11700 and paid £3000 overpayments rougly so very happy with that and aiming for another £1000 in november and december .Its so nice that we can all support one another and when i see everyone on here doing so well it helps to motivate me too and i seem to be able to rise to the challenge ,what a great group of supportive people on this site ,i am so pleased i found it.
  • McTaggus
    McTaggus Posts: 279 Forumite
    Hi Try Harder, just wanted to drop in! Looks like you've had an amazing journey so far and well done on the savings and overpayments! Great work!!! Will be following your progress :)

Good luck with your journey! x
  • try_harder
    Thank you Mctaggus.Well another week has passed by and i have kept to my weekly food budget of around £48 and eaten very well on it too,i must say.Petrol and diesel too for both cars ,on budget.Savings all on target and another £100 into my isa ,which is doing well in all funds apart from one.Christmas present buying has started and two main presents bought ,two of my children are on the other side of the world travelling so it will be money for them and their partners this year.My aga is now on so all my washing is on the airer in front of it and all cooking now done on aga which will hopefully result in a reduction in my electricity usage over the next few months.Lots of work being done on the outside of my house over the next few months ,all materials bought and no labour costs as my husband will do all the work.Selling all going well and i have hit my £10 a day this week but i have lots more i could put on so must get motivated.Love having a diary ,it makes you realise which parts are going well and which are not.
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Sounds good TH, especially the £10 a day!

An Aga will be part of my dream kitchen - sounds so warm and homely in your kitchen!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• try_harder
    Ah thank you the madvix ,it definitely is nice and cosy ,the only problem is i have to get up and go out shopping and i find it so hard to drag myself off of the sofa and the other rooms in the house are not quite as warm ,makes you sleepy too.Yes i am very pleased with the £10 a day ,it all goes into the big pot .Will pop over to your diary when i come back .
  • themadvix
    Ah, but by not wanting to go out shopping you're saving yourself money! :p

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• try_harder
    I hadnt thought of it that way,yes of course its so true and because i want to get back to that nice sofa in that cosy room i only go to the shops on my list and hurry home .Thats a very good way of looing at it ,not that im lazy ,of course.Now off out to get some bits for a little halloween tea party this afternoon ,i have been very careful this week and have left myself enough money to buy a few treats ,i am so pleased ,i have kept below £46 for the week with 3 adults in the house and other children and grandchildren popping in at various times plus todays tea party.The savings on food all goes into the pot and makes a difference of around £5000 a year compared to how much i used to spend.Its a lovely day again here today ,so looking forward to seeing the grandchildren this afternoon ,its been a great half term.
  • themadvix
    Wow, that's an excellent saving TH, and i'M very impressed with your food budget for 3 adults. I have to confess that I don't actually know what I spend on DH and I, but I suspect it's about the same for two of us. We tend to buy organic and have a veg box, but that's balanced out by me being veggie and DH usually eating veggie at home, which saves a lot. Will probably have a shock when I finally get around to my SOA and discover that we spend a lot more!

Enjoy your tea party - it sounds lovely!

• try_harder
    I always ate mostly organic and had a vegetable box twice a week too but have stopped for the moment ,just while i am working on the challenge ,i will see how things go and if i can reduce the bill even further then i might reintroduce one of the boxes.I have been following one of the bloggers on yt who shows how to live on £20 a week as a vegan ,she cooks for one but the meals are enough for two so i am going to try some and also some of a girl named Jack .We do eat meat but only about once a week ,we have slowly been cutting down and would probably only eat it once a month if it wasnt for our son who likes meat ,we have vegetarians and vegans in the family so we try to have some variety .In the new year i am going to try to cut back to £40 a week just to see if i can.We eat really healthily too,so i am really pleased.It is amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it.Thank you ,i am now off ,i have just over £18 left for today and tomorrow plus £10 as i havent put my £10 diesel allowance in the car this week .I love it ,its all very addictive .have a good day .
  • themadvix
    I honestly don't know how people afford to eat meat all week - it's so expensive! Will have to check out the blogger on YT, what's her name?

It's amazing how well you can eat on very little sometimes though - totally agree with you about eating well! And it's so satisfying! We had roasted tomato risotto last night - a Delia recipe - and while not the cheapest it certainly beat going out for cost and was delicious!

Hope you had a good weekend!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure