Breaking Through, Travelling On

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Oh KC - i must admit i looked at your list and thought you would do well with the calls as i have much the same experience of ringing round / trying to get hold of people etc. that takes much longer than you think it reasonably should - well done you getting so much done i say :T:T
    Thanks! I experienced exactly why I loathe doing that sort of thing :eek::rotfl:taking forever. Only the accounts work got missed out on, and tho I'll care about that in a week's time, I really don't care about it now :rotfl:

And :eek: to the request for pics of jobs needing doing :eek:
    He was very matter of fact about it, but very defensive too, he knew it was, erm, a bit unlikely :D

Are you planning on moving then KC?
    Not in the next four years or so. But there's stuff that needs doing - a shower screen, a grab rail, air brick covers, laying ceramic tiles on the bathroom floor, and the biggie - repointing an entire wall :( he stuck an exploratory knife into the mortar and it went right through to the cavity :( its the wall that takes the brunt of this weather, and its a nightmare.

I do want to move from here, its not where I want to grow old :o but I wouldn't mind keeping it and renting it out. My plans are quite fluid :D

And i am looking forward to reading your blog but *must* study first :cool:

And.. um .. KC what are wall ties ? :o should i be able to see them or are they inbetween the brickage ? :o
    Don't worry about the blog, I haven't written about Delany yet - I hate to say it, but I won't be trying to publicise anything till February - even tho I'm a bit cavalier about my accounts, time is getting short :o

Wall ties look like ginormous great screws, with no head, they literally tie the two walls together that make up a cavity wall. Apparently in the 1930s they were put in as the house was being built, but unless they're installed carefully (without concrete bits on them from higher up the wall dripping on them, etc etc) then in years of severe weather like this, they can act as riverbeds for water, which then attacks the internal plaster - and thats what happened :(

I hope your studying is going well - I'll hopover to your thread again and check it out :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Ahh - this house i'm in was built about 1900 i think - so no wall ties as there is no cavity *brr*

I have a post i think on the front page of my thread and its where i can jot down all the jobs that need doing as i remember them - they really are needs and not wants - after over 6 years of not having a penny to do anything these jobs have become more and more important :o I know what you mean though i have several biggies that need doing :eek: and even just 1 of them makes me :eek::eek::eek:

Current studying is reading something else i really don't want to read :o There are a few on this course that i was looking forward to and then got to them and they are just hard work rather than a pleasure sadly. Still i'll get my head down and get on with it - i can't promise lights out by midnight mind as i'm hoping to get over 1/4 of the way through this bit as i need to push myself to catch up (always fall behind at assignment time).

Fluid plans are good - life is full of change isn't it so nice to be able to move with things :D
    CC1:T £[STRIKE]2531[/STRIKE] £1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: £10575.20 Target £12,100
    MF Date: [STRIKE]August 2042[/STRIKE] May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
  • I learnt about wall ties today - thank you!

Hope you got out and about me dear......

And fluid plans are the best kind.
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • Karmacat
    Yep, wall ties rule OK :D There are little cracks in plaster that have appeared, but thats the 2nd builder who's told me they're nothing to be worried about - I have another one coming round late this afternoon, and I'll go through the same rigamarole with him, so we'll see what he says :p

Waves at DDFW :kisses3: and Pippi :kisses3:

Didn't get out yesterday tho :o apart from gathering dead grass in the garden :rotfl: and today won't be much better, except I need to do the banking, so I'll walk into town.

So here's the list:
    - do banking in town.
    - meeting with business partner (at my house, so no travel this time).
    - builder popping round - an hour? Sigh .... necessary.
    - accounts work! Done nothing at all since Friday ...
    - to stop myself going insane, I'll try to get out into the garden and tidy up a bit more.
    - ring my mum WITHOUT FAIL - she's got another day op tomorrow, my sister will be with her, but its not a light thing.
    - already done the shopping :D which will be delivered Tuesday - every 3 months or so, I do a huge, ginormous, tremendous shop, which is over £100 and so delivered free. And I don't have to carry any of that, or troll round the store and pack it :D I !!!! that.
  • Karmacat
    Made myself do a few accounts, and thought I'd found they'd overcharged me by £103 - they haven't, they had to send my bill a second time because I moved bank branch :rotfl: never mind, they were nice, and I can't say I didn't try :rotfl:
  • mizmir
    mizmir Posts: 3,710 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    KC! :wave: feeling more at home back on MSE already having tracked down you and Bob! Sadly for my sins I am still over at DFW - and in a worse state than last time but with more determination and a proper plan!

Great to find your diary! :D
  • DedicatedDFW
    DedicatedDFW Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Hope your mum is ok KC x

And hope it goes well with builder and your meeting with your business partner too x
    CC1:T £[STRIKE]2531[/STRIKE] £1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: £10575.20 Target £12,100
    MF Date: [STRIKE]August 2042[/STRIKE] May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
  • Karmacat
    mizmir wrote: »
    KC! :wave: feeling more at home back on MSE already having tracked down you and Bob! Sadly for my sins I am still over at DFW - and in a worse state than last time but with more determination and a proper plan!

Great to find your diary! :D
    mizmir!!!! :wave:Hi! Sorry to hear its worse for you than last time :( I'll check at dfw and see if you have a thread :) and of course, you're living the dream to a large extent - well, it may not feel like that, if the debt is bad, but a dog lover doing what you do ... well, it sounds a dream to me :kisses3: great to hear you've got a plan.
    Hope your mum is ok KC x

And hope it goes well with builder and your meeting with your business partner too x
    She's feeling a bit better, thanks, DDFW - my brother took her out this afternoon, and I encouraged her to talk about it all, plus she's happy to hear I'm getting stuff done on the house, she knows it needs it :o:rotfl: Builder wasn't a patch on the one yesterday, so I know which one I'll be choosing :j and my meeting with my business partner was very satisfying, thank you!

I'm shattered now tho - just having a mooch around forums and diaries before I shut it all down and get a reasonable night's sleep :cool:
  • mizmir
    mizmir Posts: 3,710 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Karmacat wrote: »
    mizmir!!!! :wave:Hi! Sorry to hear its worse for you than last time :( I'll check at dfw and see if you have a thread :) and of course, you're living the dream to a large extent - well, it may not feel like that, if the debt is bad, but a dog lover doing what you do ... well, it sounds a dream to me :kisses3: great to hear you've got a plan.

Yes - am definitely living the dream - and am very happy with it all despite the debt. I am cross with myself because if we had stuck with it we would be debt free by now. :mad: But no point in looking back. Am here now and am getting things sorted. I will be concentrating on income generation - as that will be the key to success for us.
  • Karmacat
    I'm sure you're right about income generation - some things, like ebay sales are worth it, but I wish I'd never got involved with trekking about doing mystery shopping, I really do - I think I exhausted myself, when I could have been thinking about a new business to start, and instead I was faffing about making £1.30 an hour and being out at all hours.

Matched betting, otoh, is great! Like you, I've moved, and have a new account with a new branch. I'm researching a thing I heard about with laying against favourites (heard it from Homes Under The Hammer, of all places, while I was ill) - I'll let you know if the research proves or disproves it. Not good so far, I confess :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport