Ja-NEW-ary 2013 - Take your lunch to work thread

Comments

• kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No probs cw what do you want me to put for your total instead? that's pretty costly for the tea isn't it?
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • does anyone have a recipe for non-wheat bread thats doesnt involve a bread maker? Im willing to give it a go!
    Sealed Pot no 2011 :D
  • kittiej
    Forumite
    edited 29 December 2012 at 5:21PM
    Hi iwditt, have you asked on the OS board? What they know about stuff is amazing, I'll try to have a look around as well for you. Is it the gluten you have a problem with?

PS did you want me to put a savings figure down for you?

Found this on EHow

Try making white, gluten-free soda bread. You make this with eggs, buttermilk, rice and tapioca flour. Combine these, along with other standard baking ingredients, according to a recipe, being careful not to overmix the dough. This bread should bake for about half an hour.

Enjoy brown yeast bread. This kind of bread is based on rice flour and cornmeal. Again, xanthan gum is another important ingredient. There are numerous recipes for this available online. This will give you a tastylb_icon1.png, light brown bread with an even consistency. It will take about an hour to bake.

Experiment with pancakes, cookies, pizza dough and muffins. There are tons of gluten-free recipes out there for all your favorite baked goods and pastries. Using fruit and ground almonds will give your sweet baked goods a moister texture.
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • thanks Kittiej. I will put the ingredients on my shopping list for Monday and give it a go. I could slice it then freeze two slices at a time for each day.

I will also check in the supermarket for rye bread - Im sure Ive had this at some point in the past (when I tried to do wheat free before).

Yes - its gluten I need to avoid. I know it makes me feel better (and stops me having a mega painful stomach) but its sooooo hard to do!
  • kittiej
    Forumite
    I'm sure I've seen rye bread in Lidls but don't quote me lol
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Hi there, I need to do this.

Lidl do indeed sell rye bread.

I love peanut butter and marmite sarnies but can't have them at the mo as one of our pupils has serious nut allergy. We are a nut free zone!!

I salivate at other peoples home bought lunches while i eat a very high fat, high cost sarnie from the local shop which has about 5 different varieties. Every day I say...I must bring my own lunches.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Rice cakes and hummus. Crackers or carrot sticks or pitta bread cut into fingers and dip in taramasalata for those who eat fish. Hardboiled eggs cut in half lengthways and smeared with mayo - I defy anyone to be hungry after 3 whole eggs. Hardboiled eggs keep for a week in the fridge if you keep the shells on; I sometimes cook 15 on a Sunday night and just grab them in the morning.

Greek salad - tomato, cucumber, feta (or cheap equivalent of feta), splosh of salad dressing or minted yoghurt sauce (I use 0% Greek yogurt, a little milk to thin it and a couple of teaspoons of mint sauce). Another good sandwich filling is Russian salad - cold small-diced potato, cooked peas, cooked diced carrots in salad cream or mayo.

Crustless quiche is a good one for those avoiding wheat; just grease the pan and cook the filling as normal. I usually do bacon lardons and a tin of cut green beans, make it deep to allow for the lack of crust, and freeze in large wedges in tin foil. Spanish potato frittata is also good. If you can tolerate a little wheat, make a spanakopita with filo pastry, cottage cheese & feta. Cold flavoured couscous for wheat-eaters with roasted veg (onions, mushrooms, peppers) mixed in. Make some falafel or onion bhajis or samosas with a yoghurt dip. Bombay potato, sag aloo, mutter paneer. They all work cold. Think of your favourite picky buffet bits. Cold cocktail sausages, cheese & pineapple, pickled onions, roasted peppers in olive oil, cold homemade pizza.

I have access to a microwave at work so sometimes I'll have a jacket spud, or a tin of cheapo macaroni cheese, or beans with mini-sausages. I've been known to take in an extra portion of meat and two veg, and add gravy I keep at work.

This is going to sound disgusting but it's wonderful - Whooshie Pie from my Atkins days. Line a pie dish or deep muffin tins with raw seasoned beef mince (press it in with your fingers), fill with cream cheese mixed with horseradish or mustard, add raw mince lids, and cook. It looks incredibly oily but once you serve it, all the grease drains away, and it's very filling.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Mouth watering at all that. Thanks.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • i agree - thanks Tiglath!
  • kittiej
    Forumite
    Thanks Tiglath, the crustless quiche sounds yummy and I'm sooo hungry right now!

Does anyone else eat curry sandwiches (like madras) or am I just weird? If we've had curry and I've got leftovers I'll put it in some bread as a tasty snack the next day.

Oo-oo I've got to stop, I've been dreaming about curry lol

Edit, Sorry 365 days welcome to the thread and thanks for bringing new ideas. I've not heard of marmite and pb sarnies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure