Janey's Journey to Becoming a MFW

Comments

• ljaneyr
    ljaneyr Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you for popping in :wave:

Renovation stuff is sooo expensive isn't it?! Unfortunately we pulled our house to pieces - we basically gutted the inside and built an extension - so we have no choice but to keep on spending until it's finished :o It's great to see things improve and gradually tick things off the list but the J£wsons invoice is always eye-watering when it arrives :eek:

Janey x
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Bought our house 2012 :) Married 2015 :D Started renovating 2015 :eek:
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • ljaneyr
    Hi watty

All good luck is very much appreciated :)

Although officially I'm trying not to get my hopes up etc etc.

xxx
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • ljaneyr
    Hello again :)

First week back at work done :j Yes I know it was only three days... I am mighty relieved it is over though. I've had a nearly constant headache. I've got a bit of work to do tomorrow but otherwise the workload isn't going to be too bad this weekend.

Money update:
    We are still plodding away with our £600 per month to our regular savers or 'future' savings. I'm also putting a bit into the emergency savings at the end of each month after buying the new car but there's still a way to go before it's back to the target.

We are going to a wedding in August and have arranged to take the dogs and go to Pembrokeshire for a week afterwards. We are really looking forward to some walking and probably lots of eating :D. All accommodation paid for but saving for spending money.

Anyway, that's enough for now. I will do a more in-depth financial update another time :p

It's DH's birthday today so we're going to get some chips and eat them on the beach :beer:

Janey xxx
  • ljaneyr
    What a lovely weekend! I hope you have all had a bit of sunshine too?

On Friday I actually went out :eek::eek::eek: for a friends leaving do and it was lovely to have a bit of a catch-up. Yesterday we went shopping for DHs birthday present. He wanted walking boots and ended up preferring the cheapest ones that he tried on :T We also had 15% off for being NT members which made it even better. We didn't do a lot of shopping as we hate it but did have a nice lunch :D

It's been so warm today - I even wore my shorts! We went for a nice coastal walk to try out the walking boots and it was super scorchio! We even saw three lizards sunning themselves :j

The dogs are now sound asleep, DH is making a roast and I've got my feet up - what a perfect weekend :beer:

Janey x
  • chumpy45
    chumpy45 Posts: 495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Ljaneyr, just been catching up with your diary. Sounds like a great weekend. Nice to have a relaxing time together. You are doing so well with all the house renovations. I struggled when we had our extension a couple of years ago so take my hat off to you and all the work you are having done. Am really enjoying following your adventures.
    Starting Mortgage 01.08.08 £171,209.24. [STRIKE]01.08.16 £42,418.93[/STRIKE]; [STRIKE]01.02.17 £36,584.00[/STRIKE]; [STRIKE]01.04.17 £34,694.7[/STRIKE]1 [STRIKE][STRIKE]09.06.17 £32,828.89 MFW Target date Sept 2017; :[/STRIKE][/STRIKE]) [STRIKE]06.08.18 £24,769.47[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]01.11.18 £23,825.00[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]22.01.19 £21,990.00[/STRIKE] [STRIKE][STRIKE]06.02.19 £21,200[/STRIKE][/STRIKE] [STRIKE]03.03.19 £19,862.93[/STRIKE][STRIKE]01.05.19 £18,509.63[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]01.08.19 £16,750.00[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]01.10.19 £15,400.00[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]01.11.19 £14,700.00[/STRIKE] 01.12.19 £13,956.00 01.02.20 £12,503.61 01.04.20 £10,999.00
  • ljaneyr
    Hello chumpy :wave: Thanks for reading, although I can't imagine what it's like reading my whole diary. I haven't even made an overpayment yet!

What has happened to the weather? It was bucketing down this morning so hard that it set off some car alarms :eek:

Anyway, work has been busy this week and I was so glad when Friday came around! I finally got my hair cut which was a relief as they had cancelled my last appointment and it really needed it. I used my full loyalty card to claim £5 off as well.

Yesterday I went through all of my spreadsheets and updated my savings for last year which I still hadn't gotten around to doing - oops! We had managed to save 40% of our income which was great... even though we have spent most of it already :rotfl:
    I also added up what we have spent on the house so far which actually wasn't as bad as I thought...

Righteo, I'm off to be nosy and catch up on some diaries!

Janey x
  • ljaneyr
    Me again :)

I've updated my signature but it's a bit vague because we are in a sort of limbo with most things.

Building work is ongoing. Kitchen, bathroom and living room are mostly finished (which actually means there is a long list of jobs to do before they are complete but we can comfortably use them!). Bedrooms and upstairs WC are yet to be started. Our bedroom has working plug sockets but otherwise we are sort of camping. The other bedroom and WC are basically a shell awaiting electrics, plumbing, plastering and everything else you can think of. We are currently focusing on the outside and garden. We need a bigger shed so that the tools that are currently in the second bedroom can be stored outside allowing us to finish upstairs!
    We are way over our original budget which I now realise was totally unrealistic, but have not reached the 'we must not spend more than x' amount that I have in mind :o

The future fund is ticking away quietly via our regular savers and is currently at £9000 (this doesn't go very far in the world of fertility treatment). We could save more but I'm determined to do other things with our time and money and not put every penny into this very frustrating 'area' of our lives.

The emergency fund is at 40% after we bought a new car last October. I'm gradually paying this in as and when we have a bit left over.

We put money into 'pots' for the car, presents and pets as these are expenses that are hard to predict and irregular.

Finally, the pot that is my current priority is the Holiday fund :j We have two weekends away in the big smoke planned in May and June and an actual holiday in August which we have tagged onto travelling for a wedding. All accommodation is booked and payed for except one of the London trips. We're now saving for spending money.

Next year we want to do a proper holiday somewhere exciting (depending on what happens in the fertility department). Possible destinations include two weeks in Croatia or Sri Lanka so mucho saving will be required :o

I'm looking forward to having something positive to look forward to and plan and plot :D It will also help to have a savings goal as we have drifted a bit recently.

Thanks for reading! It was most helpful to get my thoughts out on the page, Janey x
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi Janey! Wow you sound very organised! Good luck with the house, saving up and fertility treatment! Looking forward to reading your progress! x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • muddywhitechicken
    muddywhitechicken Posts: 3,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    ljaneyr wrote: »
    We are way over our original budget which I now realise was totally unrealistic, but have not reached the 'we must not spend more than x' amount that I have in mind :o

Sounds familiar except our original new kitchen budget wasn't unrealistic, we just got seduced by lots of lovely things... :o

I can highly recommend Sri Lanka. We went for our honeymoon - a 1 week tour of Sri Lanka followed by 1 week in the Maldives. Absolutely brilliant :D
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Mortgage-free: January 2021
    Retired: June 2022 (186 months early!)
  • ljaneyr
    Jessy103 wrote: »
    Hi Janey! Wow you sound very organised! Good luck with the house, saving up and fertility treatment! Looking forward to reading your progress! x

Thanks for dropping in Jessy! Hmmm, I'm not sure there's been much progress since I started my diary :whistle: but I might actually have something MFW related to report for once...
    Sounds familiar except our original new kitchen budget wasn't unrealistic, we just got seduced by lots of lovely things... :o

I can highly recommend Sri Lanka. We went for our honeymoon - a 1 week tour of Sri Lanka followed by 1 week in the Maldives. Absolutely brilliant :D

MWC that has happened to us a bit as well, especially as our ideas about how long we might stay in this house vary hugely from time to time. Sometimes it's move asap, sometimes 5 years, sometimes 10. That seems to greatly effect how much I want to spend on something.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure