Walk 2000 miles in 2017

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Good effort SplanK, but come on, you did 2 ... only one more for the set! :rotfl::rotfl:
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • SplanK
    SplanK Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Part way up pen-y-ghent i was tempted to drive to the bottom of the 3rd to do the lot, but fatigue and leg/feet started to complain so scrapped the idea quickly...!

Y3P is going to be tough, but i did do 16 miles and the challenge is 21 so not far off, but going up a 3rd lump of rock.... Hhmm!
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well done SplanK, I've considered doing the Welsh three peaks (Snowdon, Cadair Idris and Pen-Y-Fan) but I don't think I'm fit enough yet. I've previously done Snowdon and as Pen-Y-Fan is only a ten minute drive from me have done it countless times over the years but the thought of coming down one and going back up another and then to add a third I know is well beyond my physical fitness right now.

I've had a better week, since my last post on the 5th I've added another 63 miles taking my total for the year so far up to 571 which has tipped the balance back in my favour slightly and I'm ahead of schedule again......but only just, I need to bank some extra in the next few weeks so if I have any low weeks later in the year it won't kill my chances.
  • indesisiv
    SplanK wrote: »
    Part way up pen-y-ghent i was tempted to drive to the bottom of the 3rd to do the lot, but fatigue and leg/feet started to complain so scrapped the idea quickly...!

Y3P is going to be tough, but i did do 16 miles and the challenge is 21 so not far off, but going up a 3rd lump of rock.... Hhmm!

Its not too bad doing it in one go as the last climb is fairly steep (so over quickly) then its a very long descent. I've always found the walk between pen-y-gent and whernside to be the worst bit. It just seems to drag.

I was hoping to fit them in as a training run in July but sadly timing wise it doesn't fit in :( so going to have to hold off running them till next year.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    I'm probably not fit enough to do one. Well done SplanK!

Not sure of my tally tho week. Fit it died, tried app on phone, forget to take phone with me. Gone back to traditional pedometer.

Two 15 hour work days didn't help.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Well done SplanK, great effort.

In my humble way I did a hard climb on Sunday this week, Largo Law from sea level to the top, only about 2.5 miles in distance but a 950ft climb.
    Good week for me considering the side effects from new meds that I am on, 61.2 miles bringing my total to 798.2 miles, way ahead of target. :)
  • SplanK
    First Anniversary
    I must admit the ~5 miles back from Ingleborough seemed to drag and go on and on, so the path from Pen-Y-Ghent to Whernside must be a right chore! However I am planning to do the 3 peaks with a few of the guys from work (including the boss) so hopefully we should be able to bounce of each other to keep us going.

Although the last 5 miles walk back is not the nicest of paths and I did end up going over on my ankle a few times and boots slipped on what seems like 'polished' rock/limestone (probably explains why I am now experience a little knee discomfort since doing it)

Pen-y-Ghent 'blue route' was a reasonable and 'easy' climb that I would have flown up with fresh legs so well worth looking if anybody fancies it!

1 more day for me but hit the min of ~38miles this afternoon so anything over this will now add to my growing buffer. Just hope there is a gap in the weather to pop in a reasonable urban walk!
  • indesisiv
    38.5 miles for me this week. Mainly down to no long runs this weekend due to a stint as race director for my local parkrun yesterday and then a 10k race today.
    Next week may be low too as I am away Tues and Weds, but back into normal training after that.
  • SplanK
    First Anniversary
    I lost all interest in going out for a walk today so my mileage is 38.4 so just scraped by with weekly average and takes me to 674.5 total...

Lazy week last week really other than the 2 peaks, hopefully will have a word with myself and get back out tomorrow and put in a decent walk!!
  • Jonbvn
    Jonbvn Posts: 5,562 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Reporting in at the end of the 15th week 16 April 2017:

As of midnight Sunday night, I have walked 1465.63 km (910.70 miles) putting me 522.94 km (324.94 miles) ahead of schedule.

As expected my holiday led to a drop in mileage. Fortunately, I managed to walk enough so that my buffer was not used. Quite pleased about that TBH.
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure