Employer home visit whilst off sick?

I've been signed off sick from work by my GP for almost 9 weeks now with depression, something I've suffered with for many years but the loss of my only parent last year sent me over the edge and my job was just exacerbating the problem. I'm taking my medication as prescribed but i feel no better and certainly do not want to go back to work yet. This week i have been informed (via text, apparently they've sent a letter to my old address even though i updated my details when i moved) that my employer wants to come and do a home visit, not exactly sure what this is for?

(Not sure if I'm allowed to name my employer, it rhymes with bapita)

I find it very difficult to talk about my issues with people and the fact my flatmate is always in the house and i am now panicking about this home visit. Do i have to agree to this, can we agree to meet somewhere else, can i just ignore it and keep sending in my fit notes?

It's payday on the 27th and I'm worried if i haven't spoken to them and arranged this visit that i wont get paid (i get company sick pay). Can they do this?

Any advice would be gratefully received, many thanks. :(
Debt Collection Agent
All views are my own.

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Have you sent them any progress report detailing your condition?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You are not obliged to let anyone in your home that you don't want to. Maybe they want to have a catch up without making you come to the office whilst you are unwell?
    I'd agree to see them but not at home. I prefer to keep work / home separate! Call and see if you can arrange a meeting at work instead.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 March 2017 at 9:34AM
    Have you sought advice from your union?

If you aren't in one then maybe you should consider joining.

My father, when employed as a school caretaker and off having had pneumonia, had a home visit.
    Interestingly, one of the visitors seemed to have "medical knowledge" and had lots to say about the medical treatment dad had received, all inaccurate and not in his remit!
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Get in touch and ask if you can meet at a coffee shop instead. That's perfectly reasonable.

If they're paying you sick pay and have so far been supportive I'd strongly suggest you don't just ignore it, but continue to play ball with them. They can't force you to go to meetings you don't want to, but it's in your interests if you want to stay employed with them as long as possible, or ideally want to get to a point where you can go back to work.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • Yes they can visit you at home - my brother's did when he become paralysed. He couldn't go anywhere as he was confined to one room at the time.
    Over 10 years of service
    For all the 2 year no protection fears - Currently being dismissed on ill health, despite trying to go back to work :(
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 March 2017 at 11:04AM
    I've been signed off sick from work by my GP for almost 9 weeks now with depression, something I've suffered with for many years but the loss of my only parent last year sent me over the edge and my job was just exacerbating the problem. I'm taking my medication as prescribed but i feel no better and certainly do not want want or can't? to go back to work yet. This week i have been informed (via text, apparently they've sent a letter to my old address even though i updated my details when i moved)I would ensure you have written/text confirmation they now have your new address. that my employer wants to come and do a home visit, not exactly sure what this is for? Well the days of people languishing on long term sick,handing in countless sick notes and being left to rot are (for the private sector at least) gone IME

(Not sure if I'm allowed to name my employer, it rhymes with bapita)

I find it very difficult to talk about my issues with people and the fact my flatmate is always in the house and i am now panicking about this home visit. Do i have to agree to this, can we agree to meet somewhere else, Have you refused to attend meetings at work? If you can meet 'somewhere else' then why not at work?can i just ignore it and keep sending in my fit notes? Would you like to keep your job?

It's payday on the 27th and I'm worried if i haven't spoken to them and arranged this visit that i wont get paid (i get company sick pay). Can they do this? Well if you fail to keep your side of your companies sick policy,do you feel they should keep theirs?

Any advice would be gratefully received, many thanks. :(

I have been more blunt that most likely will be.
    I speak from experience of managing sick absence. So I'll be honest its less touchy feely.
    You have been off 9 weeks,you are on prescribed meds and say you are no better.
    From a well being point of view,what you have done so far hasnt helped( I appreciate grief is individual and 2 months isnt long) so why would you think continuing the same will help?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    It reasonable for an employer to keep in touch when somebody has long term absence. At my previous employer they would start doing that after 2 to 4 weeks. If you're off with depression / stress I'm guessing you wouldn't want to go into the office to discuss. If you're OK going out I would agree with the suggestion of meeting in a coffee shop or similar. That way, if things get difficult, you can walk away. You wouldn't be able to do that in your home.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes they can visit you at home - my brother's did when he become paralysed. He couldn't go anywhere as he was confined to one room at the time.
    Over 10 years of service
    For all the 2 year no protection fears - Currently being dismissed on ill health, despite trying to go back to work :(

Well, no they can't unless the OP invites them in. Ultimately it is up to him / her who can and cannot come into their home!

That said, if they want to keep their job they will need to engage with their employer. It may under some circumstances be more appropriate to meet elsewhere but they will need to meet them somewhere unless they have strong medical evidence that they should not.

Nearly all company sick pay schemes are "discretionary" which means the employer could easily cut them down to SSP only. Even if they have one of the increasingly rare contractual sick pay schemes they will still have to carefully comply with the terms and conditions. That may well oblige them to attend meetings, OH assessments etc.

Ultimately people are employed to work. "Management" of sickness absence gets ever tighter and is perfectly lawful if done correctly.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    edited 19 March 2017 at 11:54AM
    Please can I reframe this. I do appreciate that you probably feel crap, and that your anxiety levels are likely to be raised.

Your employer is actually behaving immaculately by keeping in touch. It is reasonable (and in fact may be helpful to you*) for them to see you. Please do reply, explaining that it would not be helpful for them to see you at home for personal reasons, but that you are happy to see them in a neutral venue such as a coffee shop. You can suggest somewhere (you are likely to know better than they do whether your local coffee shop is quiet or busy at various times of day) or leave them to suggest somewhere.

*If you are anything like me, you would find it quite stressful returning to work after an absence. Keeping in touch really does help to reassure you about what's going on - it is helpful to you as well as them, even though it feels scary before it happens.

PS - if your contract states that you will be paid x amount of sick pay whilst employed, then they have no reason not to pay you. BUT if you don't respond to their reasonable requests to keep in touch, they are more likely to speed up any attempts to dismiss you on capacity grounds (not being well enough to do your job). The fact that they have asked to see you means that they are following their own procedures, not that they are determined to get rid of you, by the way.

Do think about whether something like an hour in the office each day might help your recovery. This is what phased returns are all about.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Put it to them that considering your personal circumstances you feel that a referral to occupational health may be better suited to both parties at this point.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport