PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• aliadds
    aliadds Posts: 26,242
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Congratulations Pennygrabber...what a lovely start to the year for you!:j
    A no spend day today for me. Just done my @sda online shop for delivery tomorrow and its coming in at £47 so I'm pleased with that! So far so good. Thanks for all the support from everyone!:T It's a big help!
    Less is more
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Congratulations Pennygrabber!
    Have been scheming for a few days, as I have only £40 left of my £350 budget I could go 2 ways-either I could say "what the heck" and blow the budget or take a leaf from Earthmothers' tree and divide the money between the weeks I have left, ie:-£20 per week (I get paid on the 26th-roll on!) As I only need fruit, veg and a few dairy products it may be achievable! I've put my list onto Mr Ts online and it comes to approx £20, I've printed it out- sooooo all I need to do is buy those things (or look for cheaper alternatives when I go shopping tomorrow) Wish me luck!! Kitty.

"come on Kitty" go on i dare you to not go over :D
    I`ve done exactly the same before and come in about 4 pence under budget. Go on have a go - just to see if you can :D

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • albacookie
    albacookie Posts: 273
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So far my spend for this month looks pretty good - £18.97 - but I've been away for a week so not very representative! Fingers crossed for the rest of the month!
  • CherryPie
    CherryPie Posts: 429 Forumite
    edited 9 March 2010 at 11:34PM
    Tonight's dinner in the SC is comfort food heaven - sausages, onions, tinned tomatoes and beans. I'm going to peel some potatoes to make mash with and root around to see what veggies I can find to go with it all. It's OH's favourite and fills him up at least. :D

My fave dinner too! What did we all do before the invention of the slow cooker??:T

A couple of NSD's to add, and a huge spend of 86p for me today! But if you look at my sig, then you'll realise I can't afford more than that if I'm gonna come in under budget this month.

Lamb stew thing didn't go well on Sat. As I'm not used to cooking lamb, i wasn't sure if it tasted OK. So I bottled it and went to tesco and ended up making steak pie instead. Friend came over and said it was delish! :j A compliment indeed as it was her & her family who taught me to cook in the first place!!

CherryPie x

Having just caught up with 7 pages over weekend, Congrats Pennygrabber. Fantastic news!!
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • scotdebs
    scotdebs Posts: 566 Forumite
    hey all - well despite my otherwise gloomy predictions today was an NSD day - still need weetabix, aptamil, dog food but am trying to train myself that i dont need them right NOW .........and for me i think that is the key - not running to the supermarket to stock up just because you have run out of one thing!
    CC debt Aug 2018 £50.2K
    CC debt Nov 2018 £48.6K
  • savvyshe
    savvyshe Posts: 96
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 10 March 2010 at 6:53AM
    Goodmorning everyone,

Congratulations Pennygrabber, lovely news,

Another small spend yesterday, went to DS3 Parents Evening and was very pleased with him (I always expect the worst I don't know why) so spent £4.20 on a bag of M&M's for him and a bottle of Cider for us. that brings total spend to date to £108.50/£160 not bad but I really need not to go near the shops again if I am going to reach my target. I totally agree Scotdeb, I think running to the shops when I have run out of something is my problem too, so I'm going to try to use a substitute, if it's not essential... we will see, will try anyway (I'm very trying) anyway bye for now

Savvyshe xx
    M&S 2,200.00
    Barclaycard £3840.00
  • dazzle21
    dazzle21 Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Hi everyone, we have spent approx £70 so far this month, and i was feeling the need to top up on fresh fruit today but I was slimmer of the week at SW last night and came away with a huge selection of healthy treats including lots of fruit! Which has saved a few GC pennies! Need to meal plan today, i keep putting it off, and OH is fussy so won't just eat whatever unless he thinks some thought went into it! Hope everyone is doing well, and congratulations to the Mummy's-to-be x
    August: £149/£150

Sept: £200
  • remmie
    remmie Posts: 122
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    First spend(s) of the month £108.81. Sailing really close to the wind budget wise, but have made a meal plan and we have got enough in to last the remaining three weeks of my challenge. Am trying something different this month and made a list of everything we use and bought it. This includes £19.50 for dog food, so the remaining money will be used for fruit mostly as we have frozen veg. May pop to Ali* this week and get some more 49p spuds.
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 10 March 2010 at 10:56AM
    Forgot to ask I want to make some of the millionaires shortbread thats listed on the first page. The recipe says to use soft brown sugar, I have dark brown sugar, will this be ok?

Yes, it'll be a wee bit darker than usual but will taste fine, yummy!;)

Also : congrats to Pennygrabber - lovely news!

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    dazzle21 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, we have spent approx £70 so far this month, and i was feeling the need to top up on fresh fruit today but I was slimmer of the week at SW last night and came away with a huge selection of healthy treats including lots of fruit! Which has saved a few GC pennies! Need to meal plan today, i keep putting it off, and OH is fussy so won't just eat whatever unless he thinks some thought went into it! Hope everyone is doing well, and congratulations to the Mummy's-to-be x

Well done :j

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure