Asda Opticians only £50 for Complete glasses INC Thinnest Lenses for NO EXTRA COST

Comments

• jojo1978_3
    jojo1978_3 Posts: 1,432 Forumite
    Did he say the offer would be ending though? As I'd be tempted to get another two sets of frames if it's going to end soon (but acc. to my store it's not).

Interesting you say about customers with double figure prescriptions - I wonder if it's only these very high prescriptions (eg. -10 or more) that ASDA make a loss on? I would have thought they were also making a loss on prescriptions on 1.67/1.7 lenses too (as well as the very, very thin ones), but maybe not?

Does anyone know what the REAL cost of these lenses are? And just what type of mark-up customers are paying? (I know lots of frames only cost a few pounds to make).

I asked if it was a temporary offer and my optician confirmed its an ongoing/permanent offer
    :)Henry James Born 18/03/2011-11 days late!:)

• deefadog
    deefadog Posts: 2,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deefadog viewpost.gif
    Also what info do i need to get the glasses, as i can only find a slip with some details on:

SPH
    CYL
    AXIS

Is this all the info i would need?

Thanks for any help, planning on going up lunch time :)

You need a current dated prescription with the name of your optician and the above details. If the Asda optician is unsure of the details they will ring your own optician to confirm.

Thanks the last eye test was last December, so that's my current one!

I have a slip from spec svers but there is not much detail inside, just a sticker with the prescription on as i posted above.

Hope that will do?
  • Did he say the offer would be ending though? As I'd be tempted to get another two sets of frames if it's going to end soon (but acc. to my store it's not).

Interesting you say about customers with double figure prescriptions - I wonder if it's only these very high prescriptions (eg. -10 or more) that ASDA make a loss on? I would have thought they were also making a loss on prescriptions on 1.67/1.7 lenses too (as well as the very, very thin ones), but maybe not?

Does anyone know what the REAL cost of these lenses are? And just what type of mark-up customers are paying? (I know lots of frames only cost a few pounds to make).

I've no idea TBH, only saying what he said. I'm collecting mine on Sunday so I'll squeeze for more info. When he phoned to say they were in, I asked him about the number of applicants with high prescriptions, and he said that six out of the seven customers he was calling that afternoon had high prescriptions.

I really am tempted to get another set, will just hold off and hope they don't pull it without any notice.
    Not just a sucker for sweeties..:o
  • jaymac_2
    jaymac_2 Posts: 1,740 Forumite
    if your last eye test was last December then it might be worth paying the extra £10 to £15 for a new one, you don't really want to pay for new glasses if your prescription has changed. If there are any mistakes you're on more solid ground if the optician supplying the glasses also did the test - they've no one else to blame!
  • The customer service at newcastle under lyme was second to none. beats specsavers etc hands down! cant wait get my new glasses.
    Ahhhh.... lemony fresh victory is mineee!!!
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    deefadog wrote: »
    Also what info do i need to get the glasses, as i can only find a slip with some details on:

SPH
    CYL
    AXIS

Is this all the info i would need?

Thanks for any help, planning on going up lunch time :)

Did you go at lunchtime?
  • deefadog
    deefadog Posts: 2,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No, i got half day, going to book an eye test their as better to be safe than sorry!
  • Hi - does anyone know if they will do a thinned down lens for a child's glasses? - My 9 year old has a -5.25 & -5.5 prescription and my optician wants £90 to give him thinned down lenses - so much for free glasses for a child!! - they also charge me £12 a time for a scratch resistant coating and I am not always convinced they have actually put it on.
  • Jessilu
    Jessilu Posts: 359 Forumite
    Little bit irked with these. I ordered my specs (2 pairs, single vision sunglasses and reading specs) on the 12th of November. I was told they'd take one week, and maximum of 10 days. I rang them yesterday and they still weren't in.

T'day 14 days after the 12th, I've been informed that they only have one pair ready to pick up !!
  • annie0000 wrote: »
    Hi - does anyone know if they will do a thinned down lens for a child's glasses? - My 9 year old has a -5.25 & -5.5 prescription and my optician wants £90 to give him thinned down lenses - so much for free glasses for a child!! - they also charge me £12 a time for a scratch resistant coating and I am not always convinced they have actually put it on.

Hi I am sorry I dont know if they thin down lenses, if not it might be worth getting the deal of 2 for £90 instead if £90 is what you are charged for thinning, I know you can use your nhs vouchers towards the cost :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure