Help Dvla Sorn Fine!

Happy new year folks ,well i have problem DVLA have sent me a letter saying that i have a eighty pound fine for late licensing .The vehicle in question was of the road and sorn for a year and two months before the sorn ran out we sold the vehicle in our local newspaper,we notified dvla of the new owners name address and date of sale,these new owners have not got the vehicle on the road or have not taxed it ,so low and behold dvla have written to me asking for this fine,i have the V11 with the expiry date for licence disc or sorn date which is a month after we sold it ,i also have a letter from dvla saying they have updated there records.why should i be made to pay a fine just because the new owners have not taxed the car /sorn it and dvla say they did not receive notification of new owner ship when i first sold the car,only after my second letter did i receive a letter from dvla of a update of there records.HELP:confused:

Comments

• hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    if you sent notification to swansea as soon as you sold it then appeal against the fine,they are known for losing documents and I have letters from them stating that
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • flutterbyuk25
    flutterbyuk25 Posts: 7,009 Forumite
    You can submit an appeal in writing but if your first notification did not reach DVLA and your acknowledgement letter is dated after the penalty letter then it is unlikely that your appeal will be granted unless you have exceptional circumstances. This is because it states on the documentation to contact DVLA after 4 weeks if you have not received acknowledgement of the disposal. (Please don't lynch me all you DVLA-haters I'm just stating how it works!).

If you submit an appeal before the penalty due date then the max you would pay for the penalty is £40, no matter how long it is for your appeal to be considered, which is usually 2-3weeks.

If your acknowledgement letter is dated before the penalty letter then you just need to send a photocopy back with the penalty letter with Section A completed and then you should get an acknowlegement that the case is closed with no further action within 2-3weeks.

If you have any evidence such as copy of the original V5C with new owner's details or recorded delivery slip for the posting of the original then include a copy of that as well if you are appealing.
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • gentlepurr
    gentlepurr Posts: 4,122 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    I had exactly the same thing happen to me two years ago. i had notified dvla, and even had a cheque refund from them for the unexpired portion of road tax. i rang them up, but its not actually the dvla that you are ringing for your sorn fine, so they dont want to know, and just told me pay up or else, and if you dont pay in the next xxx (cant remember how many) days, the fine will double :eek: :o .

There are words for people like them. i ended up paying, and i have heard of many more who have done the same. i could have paid up and then persued it, but i was going through a messy seperation from the ex at the time, so had other things on my mind. i would definately persue it if i were you now though.

good luck

xx
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
  • hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    flutterby,we cross swords again,it is not for the owner to prove that they sent the documentation,IF dvla has not processed it ,it is down to DVLA, if the OP wants to appeal I will gladly supply them with letters from DVLAA saying that they do mess up.

I and many people are fed up with this heavy handed cobblers from govt departments stating we are god get fined,

OP,I will as stated supply you with letters from DVLA agreeing that they lose documents,If they then wish to proceed,I will pay the costs.I am fed up with the attitude of this govt and their officials
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • :question: Thanks hartcjhart for your reply,i have tryed again to phone dvla today but again was told i would have to pay,well i will not give in without a fight ,i did not send the letters to them by registered post so i cannot prove i sent them but they dont tell you to do this.Having sorn the said vehicle for a year why would i not inform them that i sold it even before the sorn ran out knowing that i could be responsible and be fined?Does anyone know the procedure when you opose the fine?
  • WANTED:Contact Number For SORN Fines Office Please?
    :mad:
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    A stumper thread, I see, notice the OP did not say if the DVLA confirmation of updated records letter was issued after the penalty letter or before.

maverick,
    The SORN fines department give their phone number on the SORN fines letters that they send out top right hand corner. The SORN fines are dealt with by regional offices so the number I gave you London/Kent, or Cardiff, would be the wrong number for you. Don't you have a SORN fine letter to refer to? If not why do you need the number?
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I think we need a "Stumper" image/smilie to post in these sort of threads :D
  • I realise that the telephone number is on the letter I returned to contest the fine, I simply asked for the number. But thanks for stating the obvious. But I now have the number and the office is closed on the weekends.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Ahh, I see, yes I was annoyed also that the part to fill out is on the reverse of the letter, therefore you lose the contact details when you return the letter. I had forgotten about that.

And it is not obvious that the form is on the reverse of the letter, hence it was perfectly reasonable that I had forgotten. Nor is it obvious that they use regional offices. How are we to know which regional office was dealing with your fine?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure