Appeal against decision for being a student

Options
Hi I was wandering if anyone has ever appealed against being turned down carers allowance for being a student?

I am currently in University my course is classed as full time I do 7 hours contact time in uni and the suggested self study is 16 hours.

I am a carer for my son who is 22.
he has a very rare genetic disorder which includes ASD behaviour problems ect.

He currently goes to a day service provider from 8-4 Monday to Friday.

I tried to claim carers allowance and this was turned down because my course is classed as full time.

I really think that individual circumstances should be taken into consideration, regardless of my uni work (which is done when he is at his day service provider) I still look after my son for 65 hours a week not including overnight.

I cannot get a job to gain some extra money because I have caring responsibilities, I feel I am being treated unfairly and was wandering if anyone had been successful in appealing the decision because of being a student.

I have spoken to my MP and he is going to look into it and speak to the DWP on my behalf.

I just wanted some opinions really as to whether it is worth appealing or is it just a waste of effort ?

I am seriously thinking of giving up as I am not sure I can afford to carry on, which is so disheartening.

Thanks for reading
gave up smoking 07/01/09 :j:j:j

Comments

• w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    edited 10 February 2018 at 2:05PM
    Options
    It's the rules, exclusions include: you're not in full-time education and you're not studying for 21 hours a week or more

The person who receives carers allowance for helping me did just as much for me for 4 years before he finished his PhD but wasn't entitled to claim carers allowance

I suspect any challenge will be unsuccessful because you'd be asking for the rules to be changed.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    samanthag wrote: »
    Hi I was wandering if anyone has ever appealed against being turned down carers allowance for being a student?

I am currently in University my course is classed as full time I do 7 hours contact time in uni and the suggested self study is 16 hours.

I am a carer for my son who is 22.
    he has a very rare genetic disorder which includes ASD behaviour problems ect.

He currently goes to a day service provider from 8-4 Monday to Friday.

I tried to claim carers allowance and this was turned down because my course is classed as full time.

I really think that individual circumstances should be taken into consideration, regardless of my uni work (which is done when he is at his day service provider) I still look after my son for 65 hours a week not including overnight.

I cannot get a job to gain some extra money because I have caring responsibilities, I feel I am being treated unfairly and was wandering if anyone had been successful in appealing the decision because of being a student.

I have spoken to my MP and he is going to look into it and speak to the DWP on my behalf.

I just wanted some opinions really as to whether it is worth appealing or is it just a waste of effort ?

I am seriously thinking of giving up as I am not sure I can afford to carry on, which is so disheartening.

Thanks for reading

Carer's Allowance is not payable to those who are classed as full time students. Is there any possibility of transferring to a part time course? I did my degree part time, over five years instead of three, and as it was a part time course, I was able to retain my CA. As it happens, there is no way that I could have managed a full time course in addition to my caring responsibilities.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure