Drawing a line under the debt. Take two.

Comments

• Hi 5 to you for being the poster person for Ynab and being a month ahead in your budgeting. A month ahead in ynab is something I only ever dreamed about. (Technically I think I could have juggled things to do it from savings etc, but never did)

Have a lovely end of term, my little one loves the trampoline place near us, but we only ever go during toddler time.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Thanks for stopping by, it feels.good to be ahead in ynab. We managed to do it because when my husband was unemployed our tax credits covered the bills. These are paid four weekly so over the year we manage to get ahead.

The kids enjoyed the trampoline park, so it was worth the expense. They have a quiet day tomorrow, mine is busy, si hours work, but then I am officially off until the 3rd January.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Yesterday was such hard work, but all done and got some chocolates from some clients so that was nice.

Braved the food shop this morning at 7am, with, what seemed like half the town, twas hell :eek: but it is done, just a small list of fresh bits to pick up tomorrow, we live within walking distance of a large supermarket, do will pop in after church.

Because I was up so early I am having a quiet one today, finally got the rest of the books onto the big bookshelves and put up some more pictures. Husband grumbles 'why did we bother paying for all that to be plastered if you are just going to hide the entire wall again', but the awful artexed walls have gone so I don't care :rotfl: it was certainly an expense that wasn't strictly necessary,but I hated them and they desperately needed painting again, so had to take down the shelves and pictures anyway. It's such a big stairwell I actually had to get a local handyman to come in and paint the ceiling and top two inches of the walls where I couldn't reach :rotfl: he had done work for me previously and is very reasonably priced. Well worth the £50 tbh, it gives it that professional finish I just can't achieve when painting, my cutting in is shocking :rotfl:

Anyway I need to get ready to pick up a friend from town, I have her son here today as her hubby is on nights atm and needed to sleep. She was getting the bus but I offered to take and pick her up as I am free.

Need to plan out what to do tomorrow, being a Sunday it means two church services, so less time to do the stuff we normally do. Definitely think a trip out to a park is in order at some point though.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Wow you are brave to be doing a food shop today even if it was at 7am! I did mine online at the start of the week and then my dad is going to bring the rest of stuff. I might have to pop to the local shop tomorrow to top up bread and milk but that will be it.
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    So Xmas break done. Had a lovely relaxing time, but back to work tomorrow (along with the normal January viral cold). Sent in my time sheet for December, my pay will cover the mortgage, £50 for 'entertainment' and £50 towards a special relax session for the smallest. Hopefully January should be an ok month wage wise.

We had a family Xmas, then me and he husband had a night away on the 28th (mum had the kids for 24hrs and gave us money for the hotel and dinner as our Xmas gift) which was lovely and relaxing. Husband was blown away by his present (been saving up for it in ynab for six months, but told him we couldn't afford it ;) ) so he asked if I wanted to go shopping for some jewellery while we were away. I was shocked, mainly because he doesn't buy me jewellery and I don't really wear it, and I told him so and that if we were staying in a hotel NEXT DOOR to an IKEA he was taking me shopping there as I had a list :rotfl: we have been together 20yrs, really, he thinks I want jewellery over IKEA?!!!

So a fun few hours for me, not for him:rotfl: but we came in budget so all good.

We had a quick trip to in laws over the weekend which was lovely, and a quiet new year. Been to London to visit my oldest friend today, we never get together enough which is a shame.

So back to it now, savings goals are not going well this month, and I need to get passports for the three boys if we are to go to France for the smallest birthday like he wants :eek:
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Drawingaline
    Back to school for the kids today. The smallest was so sad, broke my heart. Did my two jobs and joined the boss for an extra one, so another hours pay in next month's money. Also discussed the possibility of taking on a new client, Will mean some juggling of school runs, but hopefully my sister can help out.

Long day tomorrow, six hours and three jobs. But nothing really planned for the weekend, although I do need to get the flooring up in the kitchen and hallway.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Just popping in to say hello, you are very organised I'm impressed! I would love to get the stage of ageing my money so I'm paying for this month's bills with last month's wage, Utopia :j
    £20k debt paid off, now saving for mortgage deposit
    In the process of shedding 42lbs
  • Drawingaline
    Thanks for stopping by fiscalpickle. I checked my age of money today on YNAB and it has jumped to 43days, the highest yet :j

So had a quiet weekend, I actually lefty phone upstairs and read two books:eek: I really should read more, I have found browsing on my phone has replaced reading, which isn't really a good thing. Me and hubby watches the second series of Dirk Gently which had been released on netflix and really enjoyed it. We used to watch a lot of things together, but again technology has made it easier for us to just do our own thing.

Money wise I have been paid. Mortgage category filled and small amount set aside for entertainment. But I have £200 ready for the weekend away next month and have been looking at how we will sort this (possible) trip to Paris for two adults and four kids :eek: been looking at Airbnb, which is a new thing for me, but seems the best option as we have our own space rather than two hotel rooms. Think we can do two nights in may for under £800, which seems reasonable. Then spends/food on top of that, but as it is the smallest birthday and he requested to go we can buy him a small present to unwrap (like £10) and ask grandparents for money to go up the Eiffel tower etc.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Drawingaline
    Right, I have been unbelievably slack at updating the diary again!

So what has happened. Well my son was in the final of a national talent competition with his dance group. So a trip to the Midlands the other weekend. I decided not to stay over so an early start, breakfast, dinner, petrol, but all budgeted for so no stress. Hubby stayed home with the other kids as the tickets were £20 and couldn't really afford two. So I had to sit through three hours of acts waiting for them to come on. They were the last act performing. They were awesome, but I am well aware that mother's pride doesn't always tally up with what the judges think :rotfl: I thought they might place fourth or fifth, when they weren't called I kind of relaxed as thought at least they had had a fantastic experience. AND THEY WON :j the whole thing:beer: I was a bit gobsmacked :rotfl: so so proud of them all. He is the only boy out of 14, and they practice once a week for an hour, but they were all so commited.

Then to take the shine off that there has been a big fall out between me and my mother. She isn't in the best of health and I have to rely on her for some childcare. I managed to scale it right back when I quit my evening job, but there is still one time I need her. Well something quite serious happened and I have had to drop a client so I can now be available to cover the time she had the smallest. And my mum is taking no responsibility for any if it at all. The smallest has reacted badly and is having nightmares and separation anxiety which is so stressful for everyone,and he seems to have taken a step backwards. I feel responsible as I knew mum was struggling, but because it was a short term arrangement I thought it would be ok. But mum didn't say she wasn't coping and now isn't talking to me as she thinks I don't want her round the kids because I have cancelled some plans where she was babysitting (mainly down to funds tbh).

So financially what is going on. Well I sat down and had a serious look at where we are and have come to a realisation. I am beyond rubbish with credit cards. I think nothing about popping the odd £2/3 on it and it ends up adding up. However I am super good at overpaying loans. So I have consolidated :eek: saving has been rubbish too so I took out enough to sort the trips we have planned. The loan was a low Apr and I have already made an overpayment in the first two weeks. My plan is to make the normal payment out of my wages, then when hubby gets paid throw anything over at it. Annoyingly this month it will be around £300 as the tumble dryer died. And then I will pay the interest charge extra every month out of my entertainment budget (will be around £20.) I cleared 7k off a loan in 2016 in 8 months, I have high hopes we can do this.

Going forward I have entered the credit card into ynab as an account and watched some videos on how to use it correctly. I honestly think this will hold me accountable with it. Tbh it will sit in the drawer anyway.

So total debt atm is £11565.00 :eek: we are up for remortgage in September 2019, I want it gone by then. Or at least under 5k :rotfl: so will be updating a bit more regularly now. Have also figured out how to subscribe to the diaries I like reading so hoping to have more time to catch up and comment :)
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Drawingaline
    So after discussing and debating for what seems like forever we have booked a weekend to Paris for the whole family :eek: Eurostar booked, Airbnb booked, plans being out in place for excursions. Very excited. Going at the end of April. Need to sort three of the kids passports (the girl got one last year to go to Belgium with school and the boy needed one anyway as he is off to France in may half term with school.) It's all budgeted but still a massive chunk of money. We are using it to see how the wierd one and the smallest react to being abroad, travelling etc. We are staying in a suburb north of Paris in a house, but it was the best option I could find at an ok price. So town on sat for passport pics and to pick up the forms. Our vicar will sign them as she sees them regularly at church so that's one less thing to worry about.

Still feels a bit surreal even though I printed out the Eurostar tickets. Won't be taking many euros, enough for food and metro and a couple of souvenirs. And we will have to travel light as we will leave to lug our bags around before and after checking in/out. But feel like we are finally getting to a stage with the kids where we can have these kind of adventures :T
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure