Tesco Mobile Price Increase

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    boatman wrote: »
    Perhaps you should take the time to read what I suggested:

These systemic issues are not unique to the mobile phone sector - successful action has been taken to tackle similar problems in the water, energy and financial services markets.

In the second and final section we therefore consider whether similar steps could be taken to address these problems in the mobile phone market.

right so how is that got to do with expensive phones ?

Where is the link back to your earlier post
    You really would need to be a complete muppet to pay that for a Huawei!! At least an iPhone keeps some of its value, you can then sell it to another fanboy who likes to be easily parted with their money.. Let's face it, all those iPhone screen repairers need to be kept in work.

If you want to change how people access money then take your issues to the money boards and don't call people muppets for buying a phone or label people who buy iPhones fanboys.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 December 2017 at 9:35AM
    john22 wrote: »
    right so how is that got to do with expensive phones ?
    This is part of the conclusion from Citizens Advice:
    Mobile phone contracts are a substantial financial commitment. Currently
    networks allow consumers to build up levels of debt which are far beyond their
    ability to pay, either through selling inappropriate contracts or allowing
    practically unlimited spending. Networks can also pursue consumers for
    substantial sums which are the result of criminal activity. Avoidable errors during
    the contract exit process can also result in the accrual of unnecessary debts and
    leave marks on customers’ credit records - affecting their ability to take out loans
    in the future. Networks need to take more responsibility for mitigating these
    risks.

As stated by Citizens Advice, much of the problem is caused by the mobile phone companies, its in their interest to sell expensive phones.

Anyone would think some of those on this mobile board have an interest in that, while being adamant its all about a persons right to spend their money how they like. It sounds very similar to the NRA and their obsession with the 2nd amendment and a persons rights, when really its about profit.

This article is from 2013 and mentions iPhones costing £500 and the debt problems, some iPhones now cost over double that, so I think its easy to see that the problems are now increased:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2499074/Thousands-debt-mobile-phone-bills-Number-calls-helpline-rises-15-year.html

This is a mobile phone industry problem, hence why its here and not on the money board.
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    yip and the point is you can't see why others buy something that you wouldn't buy which is sometimes called being inward thinking.

Yes I can see why. I have explained why. Gimmicks and impression that a particular phone is superior and the fact that an implement that costs over £1,000 is seen as affordable as it spread over 24 months

On the subject of inward thinking nevertheless, you have just added 'well people can buy what they want', which doesnt actually add anything to the discussion. You could use the same simple response to any forum on here discussing costs/worth/quality of item....
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    d123 wrote: »
    Which is not what you said, if you want to be argumentative at least have a foundation for your argument.

You specifically stated iPhone (twice)...

Sorry, do I have to dig out other mobile phone names for balance or to fulfil your? Why did I need to highlight that iPhone is just an example? You are the only person making this 'point'.
  • System
    boatman wrote: »
    This is part of the conclusion from Citizens Advice:
    Mobile phone contracts are a substantial financial commitment. Currently
    networks allow consumers to build up levels of debt which are far beyond their
    ability to pay, either through selling inappropriate contracts or allowing
    practically unlimited spending. Networks can also pursue consumers for
    substantial sums which are the result of criminal activity. Avoidable errors during
    the contract exit process can also result in the accrual of unnecessary debts and
    leave marks on customers’ credit records - affecting their ability to take out loans
    in the future. Networks need to take more responsibility for mitigating these
    risks.

As stated by Citizens Advice, much of the problem is caused by the mobile phone companies, its in their interest to sell expensive phones.

Anyone would think some of those on this mobile board have an interest in that, while being adamant its all about a persons right to spend their money how they like. It sounds very similar to the NRA and their obsession with the 2nd amendment and a persons rights, when really its about profit.

This article is from 2013 and mentions iPhones costing £500 and the debt problems, some iPhones now cost over double that, so I think its easy to see that the problems are now increased:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2499074/Thousands-debt-mobile-phone-bills-Number-calls-helpline-rises-15-year.html

This is a mobile phone industry problem, hence why its here and not on the money board.

As I have said before debt has always been around since money has been invented. I can pull stories from the past with regards to anything....

1. Easy access to credit cards.
    2. Mortgage debt.
    3. Christmas.
    4. Car leasing.

The government can pass laws to tighten how easy it is to access money BUT I can still spend MY money on what I WANT within the confines of what the legal framework is!

So what exactly is it you want to do with expensive phones...

1. Do you want them banned after a certain price?
    2. Do you want people who have these phones to wear “muppet” badges?
    3. Do you want people who get into money problems with these phones to wear “muppet badges”?
    4. If people buy them do you want to take their money off them and control what they spend their money on?
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    The prominent logos act as muppet badges so no need for those.
  • System
    pmduk wrote: »

Do you wear a “I’m bitter and judge others” badge? :rotfl:
  • System
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    Yes I can see why. I have explained why. Gimmicks and impression that a particular phone is superior and the fact that an implement that costs over £1,000 is seen as affordable as it spread over 24 months

On the subject of inward thinking nevertheless, you have just added 'well people can buy what they want', which doesnt actually add anything to the discussion. You could use the same simple response to any forum on here discussing costs/worth/quality of item....

You calling them gimmicks and pretty graphics adds nothing to the discussion because that’s all you think an expensive phone is and you have no explanation as to why people buy them or appreciation as to why people buy them (inward thinking)

There is a lot of things i don’t buy in life but I can still appreciate and understand why people buy those things. Also I have an appreciation of what goes into advancing technology and moving things forward.

I’m all for discussion if it’s based around what someone requires. So if someone has certain requirements for a phone and has a budget or looking for a good mobile phone deal then people should offer up suggestions based on those requirements.

Your post had nothing to do with what the OP had said and just came across as a gripe against expensive phones and mobile phone contracts.

The cheapest way is to always buy your phone separately with no added interest and have the data plan separate. But if someone wants to do it over 24 months and pay extra I won’t jump into the timeline and declare that the phone is just pretty graphics and gimmicks.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    BUT I can still spend MY money on what I WANT within the confines of what the legal framework is!
    That's more like it, because phones have become so expensive, it needs better regulation, funnily enough, that's what it says in the report I linked to..

So what exactly is it you want to do with expensive phones...

1. Do you want them banned after a certain price?
    2. Do you want people who have these phones to wear “muppet” badges?
    3. Do you want people who get into money problems with these phones to wear “muppet badges”?
    4. If people buy them do you want to take their money off them and control what they spend their money on?

1. Do you want them banned after a certain price? NO
    2. Do you want people who have these phones to wear “muppet” badges? Already answered by pmduk
    3. Do you want people who get into money problems with these phones to wear “muppet badges”? Think they have enough problems
    4. If people buy them do you want to take their money off them and control what they spend their money on? No, because they might well be able to afford it, refer to question 2.
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    pmduk wrote: »

Show me an example of a cheap phone whose logo isn't equally prominent. Ironically it applies less to high end phones because they have mostly dropped any branding on the front to make space for more screen.

It's just really sad that people aren't allowed to decide how to spend their money without being deemed "muppets" by some individuals that seem to deem all technological advances as gimmicks.

OLED screens give increased battery life is that a gimmick?
    Quality cameras take excellent photos, is that a gimmick?
    Is fast charging a gimmick?
    Is being waterproof a gimmick?

You get what you pay for, and it's your choice how much you spend and what features are useful to you. But to then maintain that any features you aren't prepared to pay for are gimmicks is ridiculous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure