Blue Badges becoming useless?

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    As we are constantly told on this website, if you get a ticket for parking in a disabled bay without a blue badge at a supermarket then you can just ignore it. I don't see how supermarkets could even enforce parents babys.

When I could still walk a bit, we used to park in parents parking bays as they were right next to the entrance. While the disabled bays went down the car park across from the entrance. So even the first disabled spaces were twice the distance from the entrance than the disabled.

I think if parents had to go through the struggle of genuinely being disabled then they would not be bothered about disabled people parking in parents bay and may actually get their precious kids to use the correct toilets instead of taking them in the disabled ones. I am not talking about babies, that is the fault of places ticking two boxes at once by lumping baby changing in disabled ones. I am talking about parents shielding their precious kids from the horrors of public toilets by letting them use disabled ones. This is great way to bring up kids as when they get to adults they think its alright to use disabled toilets and let the disabled person wait outside and wet themselves.

Not Tesco Seacroft by any chance? I've always thought the layout there is crackers.

Although Leeds council seem to be equally ignorant, with their 'commitment to increasing pedestrianisation of the city centre' which has led to the removal of several sets of blue badge bays. My 'favourite' was when the reason given was to allow a cafe to have more outside tables (although they also said something about having to pay a private firm £40k if they didn't extend the pedestrianised area). Not to worry though - they'd add three to another set, 320m away and up a hill. I can only assume that the planning department don't know what the rules are for getting a blue badge.

Although anyone with a WAV has always been effectively banned from the city centre, since almost all the spaces are the type that are a row one behind the other. I can only think of one set that's not like that, and it's on a street that's regularly closed off.
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    Don’t even get me started, I got an angry emoji reaction on Facebook for daring to suggest to a woman that she stands outside the gents while her 8 year old boy goes to the toilet as he presumably manages to go alone at school. She was ranting as the door to the disabled loo had a radar lock fitted and she was too embarrassed to ask for the key and she felt judged when she took him into the ladies!

Oh and she was writing to the shopping centre to complain about them installing the radar lock

Sadly I doubt the company will reply honestly - 'Thank you for confirming that we made the right decision to install radar locks due to inconsiderate customers abusing the provision of accessible toilets'. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if she got vouchers or something.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If legislation allows blue badge holders to park on double yellow lines then I’m sure it would allow parking in “parent and toddler” bays which have no legal standing and are used by supermarkets purely as a selling point. If your child is also disabled then the child would have a blue badge and be able to use the blue badge spaces. And parents have always herded their children across busy car parks, parent bays are a relatively new phenomenon in relation to the inventions of the car and the supermarket.

Yes because all disabled children get blue badges!

And all children are cattle to be herded?

Parent bays are not relatively new, my eldest is twelve next week and they have always had them since she was born.

The main point was though that if OH only needs space to get in and out of a car, unless they are the driver, why not drop them off and then park in a normal bay for want of a better word, there is no need to take up a disabled or parent bay in that scenario.

It's like those people with blue badges who park in bays whilst OH nips into the shop and just sit there reading the paper. Total micky take.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    tomtom256 wrote: »
    Yes because all disabled children get blue badges!

And all children are cattle to be herded?

Parent bays are not relatively new, my eldest is twelve next week and they have always had them since she was born.

The main point was though that if OH only needs space to get in and out of a car, unless they are the driver, why not drop them off and then park in a normal bay for want of a better word, there is no need to take up a disabled or parent bay in that scenario.

It's like those people with blue badges who park in bays whilst OH nips into the shop and just sit there reading the paper. Total micky take.

Not all disabled people get blue badges but disabled children who can’t qualify for a blue badge on DLA grounds due to age are given a badge if they need extra equipment such as oxygen or adapted buggies due to being too small to need a wheelchair. If they’re in a standard buggy with no additional stuff then they don’t need a blue badge and can use the P&C.

I’m not a driver and if we get a blue badge space he parks the car there. It’s much easier than parking elsewhere then hoping a wide space comes available again when we need it bearing in mind he’s dealing with a seizure prone seriously ill paraplegic, her wheelchair, her service dog and a bag full of expensive medical kit that can’t be removed from her side so if he leaves and I flake out and someone moves me to a first aid room that bag, which is essential to my life, needs to stay with me and I can’t communicate that. The dog can but often she’s shoved aside as people don’t realise what she’s trained to do even though it’s written in huge letters on her harness.

And parent and child spaces didn’t exist when I stated working for Asda and I’m only 31 and we’ve never broken any labour laws so yes, they are certainly a new invention relative to the car and the supermarket. Somehow everyone coped before they arrived and yet now it’s pandemonium when one isn’t available and people who are certified as virtually unable to walk are painted as villains and expected to go home instead of daring to use one.

It’s like wheelchair spaces on buses, non existent twenty years ago and now they might as well not exist because everyone parks their buggy there and bleats on about how hard it is to juggle a baby plus shopping and disabled people are so selfish for expecting mums to move out of the only area the wheelchair can occupy.

Disabled people fought for all these adjustments, another group realised that those adjustments also made their lives easier and so the disabled people have been shoved aside to make way for the people with the louder voices and we are almost back to square 1.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post

And parent and child spaces didn’t exist when I stated working for Asda and I’m only 31 and we’ve never broken any labour laws so yes, they are certainly a new invention relative to the car and the supermarket. Somehow everyone coped before they arrived and yet now it’s pandemonium when one isn’t available and people who are certified as virtually unable to walk are painted as villains and expected to go home instead of daring to use one.

It’s like wheelchair spaces on buses, non existent twenty years ago and now they might as well not exist because everyone parks their buggy there and bleats on about how hard it is to juggle a baby plus shopping and disabled people are so selfish for expecting mums to move out of the only area the wheelchair can occupy.

Disabled people fought for all these adjustments, another group realised that those adjustments also made their lives easier and so the disabled people have been shoved aside to make way for the people with the louder voices and we are almost back to square 1.

There weren't any parent and child spaces or special parking places on buses when my sons were little. In fact going to the supermarket by car was a luxury (only for me at weekends when my husband was free) it being necessary to walk with a pram and later a pram and youngster in tow, together with bags of groceries. (I have survived and so have the boys,who use the bays for their children).

Another unheard of was a space for pushchairs. You had to fold you pushchair and put it on the luggage shelf, then do the reverse. You sometimes got ,help, but rarely. You may have been offered a seat by young and old, if standing holding a child, but you always gave up your seat, if at the front of the bus, to anyone infirm or older than you.
  • tomtom256 wrote: »
    And force their little kids to walk across an unsafe car park.

You could drop OH at the drop off point and find a space and then pick them up from there afterwards.

I can't. He is the driver. I'm not always with him either (I ride a motorbike).
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    That's complete nonsense. I have a Blue badge because i'm entitled to it. Why should i use another space when i have my badge. I've never heard of anything so ridiculous.

I think you completely missed the point of the post.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    I have a Blue badge because i'm entitled to it. Why should i use another space when i have my badge. I've never heard of anything so ridiculous.
    Because the blue badge gives you ADDITIONAL parking privileges. You have more choices.

I assume that if all the disabled and P&C spaces are full you would just go home? Or are you the type to block a vehicle in a disabled spot because you can not see the blue badge and think that they have no 'right' even though you have no information or right to make that judgement?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    tomtom256 wrote: »

Walking across a car park is not inherently unsafe. That's what parents are for, to keep their children from diving under passing cars or whatever. And teaching them road safety so they can keep themselves safe.
    I used to work with adults with learning and physical disabilities and could not have left them while driving round trying to find a parking space. I would certainly use a parent and child space if no disabled spaces were available.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • tomtom256 wrote: »

How about holding the kids hands surely as there is no such thing as an unsafe car park more like unsafe parents tbh.

All this nonsense about children's parking is utter dribble why can't they use normal bays like we used to for decades when our children were young the only thing that has changed is the size of the 4x4s they have to have.

Disabled bays are for bluebadge holders only if none are available then the last resort use a child bay as the need for the disabled person far out weighs the need of a child with a parent.:)
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,092 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Using reins stops a child wandering off but it seems nowadays children are allowed to run where they want regardless of the danger.

Mums of my generation became adept at holding the baby in one arm and folding the pushchair with the other hand and a foot. You clambered on board and hoisted the pushchair into the luggage rack, unless some kind sole offered to help. Then you sat with the child on your knee.

Same when you got off. You did everything in reverse.

Are modern mums really so incapable?

Here's an idea when going to the supermarket. Park near a trolley bay and you can get a trolley and put child into it before heading to the shop.
    I recently used a supermarket whose parent and child places were not near the entrance but at the back of the car park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure