SkyQ question...

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    almillar wrote: »
    Anyone saying all HDMI cables are all the same because it's 'digital', and that all HDMI cables are the same, is wrong. This thread is proof of that. Look up 'bandwidth'.
    Nothing wrong with starting with a £1 HDMI cable, though...
    Although he didn't say that though. All he said was that there's no such thing as a 4K HDMI cable, which is true.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    There are 2 types of HDMI cable.

HDMI and HDMI 2.0

The former doesnt have the bandwidth to handle 4k video, the latter does.
    Most cables sold these days are of the 2.0 flavour.

I guess you could call these 4k HDMI cables

Further reading : https://turbofuture.com/computers/do-i-need-hdmi-cable-4k-hdmi-20-guide
  • neilmcl
    AndyPix wrote: »
    There are 2 types of HDMI cable.

HDMI and HDMI 2.0

The former doesnt have the bandwidth to handle 4k video, the latter does.
    Most cables sold these days are of the 2.0 flavour.

I guess you could call these 4k HDMI cables

Further reading : https://turbofuture.com/computers/do-i-need-hdmi-cable-4k-hdmi-20-guide
    Again wrong and misleading.

There are a number of HDMI "standards" with HDMI 2.0 being one of them but an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable. Some have gone through testing to prove that they can work with 4K and therefore can put that on their packaging and no doubt charge an arm and a leg whilst there are plenty of others that haven't and still may (or may not) work with that standard.
  • AndyPix
    edited 17 October 2016 at 4:09PM
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Again wrong and misleading.

There are a number of HDMI "standards" with HDMI 2.0 being one of them but an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable. Some have gone through testing to prove that they can work with 4K and therefore can put that on their packaging and no doubt charge an arm and a leg whilst there are plenty of others that haven't and still may (or may not) work with that standard.

Sorry, you're wrong on this one ...

Standard HDMI Cable: 1,782 GBit/s (74,25 MHz × 8 bit × 3, Type A)
    Highspeed HDMI Cable: 8,16 GBit/s (340 MHz × 8 bit × 3, Type A + C)

Although it is really only a matter of symantics as like i said, most HDMI cables you can buy now are "high speed" and you certainly dont need one that is branded as "4K".

I guess the OP installed his cable back when HDMI 1.0 was out, hence why it cant handle his 4k stream
  • neilmcl
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Sorry, you're wrong on this one ...

Standard HDMI Cable: 1,782 GBit/s (74,25 MHz × 8 bit × 3, Type A)
    Highspeed HDMI Cable: 8,16 GBit/s (340 MHz × 8 bit × 3, Type A + C)

Although it is really only a matter of symantics as like i said, most HDMI cables you can buy now are "high speed" and you certainly dont need one that is branded as "4K"
    It is symantics. A high-speed HMDI cable is only called so because it's been tested to deliver that speed. I could go out and purchase an unbranded £1 cable without any specification attached yet is still may deliver the same performance.
  • AndyPix
    neilmcl wrote: »
    It is symantics. A high-speed HMDI cable is called so because it's been tested to deliver that speed. I could go out and purchase an unbranded £1 cable without any specification attached yet is still may deliver the same performance.

Yes, it most likely will because like i said, most cables available on the market are now 2.0

There is a difference in the 2 standards that i have provided above.
    So for you to say there is no difference, and that a HDMI cable is a HDMI cable, is wholly incorrect
  • AndyPix
    What are the HDMI certifications?

Cables are rated by speed, There are only two certifications: The original HDMI 1.0 Standard cable, designed for the first HD transition, so 720p, 1080i support, which are very rare now.
    Any cable that claims to be high speed must support the full bandwidth.

HDMI 2.0 makes the signaling method more efficient, That means that existing High Speed HDMI cables, which should always be labeled as “High Speed,” both on the packaging and the cable itself, can handle 4K content at 60 frames per second. If you’re buying a new 4K TV and you already have a High Speed HDMI cable, then there’s no need to buy a new one.
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    There are actually 4 types of HDMI cable, not 2.

Standard (Category 1)
    Highspeed (Category 2)
    Standard with Ethernet
    Highspeed with Ethernet

The Ethernet versions have an additional channel.

Despite what people say, better quality cables, can make a difference. But mainly just in the length of the cable that will work. It doesn't make a difference to visual quality
  • AndyPix
    Cycrow wrote: »

Standard (Category 1)
    Highspeed (Category 2)
    Standard with Ethernet
    Highspeed with Ethernet

Despite what people say, better quality cables, can make a difference. But mainly just in the length of the cable that will work. It doesn't make a difference to visual quality

I didnt want to complicate the discussion by throwing the E versions in there too :)

Fully agree regarding signal degredation over length too
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Cycrow wrote: »

Standard (Category 1)
    Highspeed (Category 2)
    Standard with Ethernet
    Highspeed with Ethernet

So, if your cable will be short (about 1metre), there is no gain from buying a better quality cable ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure