Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Browntoa
Browntoa Posts: 49,288
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
Ambassador
edited 28 September 2016 at 7:45PM in Phones & TV
Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• Annel
    Annel Posts: 24 Forumite
    We have Virgin TV/broadband/phone. I had a letter offering me a discount on my annual line rental. The first time I rang Virgin, I was told there was no further discount on the line rental but I could have a £4 per month discount on my Virgin package. Said I'd think about it and rang off.
    I rang again 2 weeks later and said I was thinking of leaving and using Freeview. The offer I eventually accepted was a £12 per month discount and Netflix thrown in free for 6 months.

Package:
    VIVID 100 Optical Fibre, Up to 100 Mbps, Unlimited
    TV: XL (+2 x multiroom)
    Phone: Free at weekend
  • wazza2004
    wazza2004 Posts: 107
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for creating a new thread. Like to see what discounts are available before I ring them end of month.
  • DanStan
    DanStan Posts: 37 Forumite
    Going to try this! My renewal is up soon.
  • grace2much
    grace2much Posts: 366
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 19 June 2016 at 8:33AM
    Thanks for the thread, I'm with sky at present but am considering VM but my significant concern is that there is rumour that VM are going to be adding a new tivo box to compete with sky Q. So I'm worried about signing up for 12 months to an old model.

Anyone else heard about this
    “Having, first, gained all you can, and, secondly saved all you can, then give all you can"....John Wesley

AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0062 come and join us make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the Ebay Board
  • Thanks for this hopefully it gets populated with some deals.
    I have just began my 30 day notice with VM as of today as they were offering me £4 off my current subscription and a reduction of the bb speed from 150mb to 100mb, The package price was recently increased by £10 as I came out of the fixed contract and lost a 'loyalty £10 discount'.

Basically I was happy with my package and price point and wanted it back to where it was at 45 a month for a package consisting of min phone , Medium TV and 150bb but they could not help do it for me

Will be interesting to see if retentions deals exist and if I get a call from them at all soon
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    grace2much wrote: »
    there is rumour that VM are going to be adding a new tivo box to compete with sky Q. So I'm worried about signing up for 12 months to an old model.
    Even if you did sign up to the old model, there would be nothing to stop you upgrading to any new one when and if they launch one.
    Hardly a "significant concern" at all.
  • Why does anyone stay with VM if they have Skysports or Skymovies ?

I was with VM many years ago.

I went to Sky after I saw Quidco offering circa £120 for new customers moving to Sky. Took it but Sky refunded my £240 by mistake (Can't say why but nobody else will be able to do this now). Transferred TV (only had VM M TV), b/band and phone to Sky. Got basic entertainment pack with Sky. Waited 12 months and ever since, I have got 50% off my TV for Sky Sports and Entertainment package.

VM just cannot compete for Skysports of Skymovies, when you can get 50% off any TV package if you wait for 12 months after you join Sky.
  • grace2much
    Forumite
    Even if you did sign up to the old model, there would be nothing to stop you upgrading to any new one when and if they launch one.
    Hardly a "significant concern" at all.
    Well maybe not to you and thats fine, but I have 3 sky hd boxes and I don't want to be hoping VM does not hike the price of the new Tivo box while i'm tied in to a contract.

For others that may be not a problem but i prefer to know before hand so no nasty surprises......:D
    “Having, first, gained all you can, and, secondly saved all you can, then give all you can"....John Wesley

AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0062 come and join us make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the Ebay Board
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    grace2much wrote: »
    I have 3 sky hd boxes and I don't want to be hoping VM does not hike the price of the new Tivo box while i'm tied in to a contract.
    Virgin lease their decoders to customers, so any upgrade would simply involve swapping the boxes. If the price is "hiked" while you are in contract, you will be allowed to leave without penalty.

Regardless, until the rumour becomes fact, it's all moot.
  • grace2much
    Forumite
    Virgin lease their decoders to customers, so any upgrade would simply involve swapping the boxes. If the price is "hiked" while you are in contract, you will be allowed to leave without penalty.

Regardless, until the rumour becomes fact, it's all moot.
    agreed and good point about the leasing I forgot this as I've been with sky so long.......thanks for the reminder....:)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback