Living richly; simply and debt-freely

Comments

• Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS Posts: 7,833
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    edited 29 June 2015 at 9:30PM
    Evening Greying, just stopped by to post about Nigel S but not about his leftovers. His last programme about them irritated me slightly, as who seriously, has the types of leftovers he 'appeared' to have. Anyhow, I've watched one of his Eating Together programmes this evening. Somehow I've missed them and will catch up on iplayer.

The one I watched covered Moroccan as well as others. It was lovely to see someone preparing cous cous properly - rolling it, steaming three times etc. He seemed really interested in how home cooks prepare their food. He's gone back up near the top of my favourites :)

I'll be checking the BBC website to see if there are recipe links.

HFW Everyday is my book of the week from tomorrow onwards.
    Night, Tilly x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • satchmo1
    satchmo1 Posts: 2,729
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    GP, as a newlywed (1st time round) 20-year-old, my best used cookbook was "Left Over For Tomorrow". It inspired many a meal, and had an index by recipe and also by left-over-ingredient.

It finally fell apart, and unfortunately it's out of print. I saw it on bay of e for about £20 last year (I wasn't tempted to bid though).

I hope the HFW book is priced accessibly, and inspires a new generation to "make ends meat"

Sleep well
    What would you get if all you got was what you were thankful for?
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,335
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Tilly - tis Hugh Furry-Whittingstall that has done the leftovers book this time. But I agree, Nige's leftovers constituted the contents of the fridge of a family of 14 at times! Leftover 3/4 of a cooked chicken indeed! Tsk! DP has taped tonight's 'Nige' - he wanted to watch the MotoGP which was on the other side.

Mmmm. Have to say, still undecided about Nige. Prefer this series to his others, but I don't think that he rocks the beard and long hair vibe. The beard at a push, but not the hair. Sorry to Nige's stylist and all.... :rotfl:

Greying x
    Pounds for Panes £2,300/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (March) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £45/90)

Grocery spend March £174.96/215  Charity Blankets completed 1/24

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Forumite
    edited 29 June 2015 at 9:41PM
    Mmm satchmo - there was a book out relatively recently (I borrowed it from our library) about what to do with leftovers. A female author - who's name escapes me at present (she had/has a blog)........ that was quite good - although I can't remember writing out any recipes from it....But it was certainly set out in the sort of style of the book that you had. ETA: Suzy Bowler - The Leftovers Handbook

How are you anyway? Are you OK? :D Ta for popping by :D

Greying x

• Upsidedown_Bear
    Upsidedown_Bear Posts: 18,264
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    satchmo1 wrote: »
    GP, as a newlywed (1st time round) 20-year-old, my best used cookbook was "Left Over For Tomorrow". It inspired many a meal, and had an index by recipe and also by left-over-ingredient.

It finally fell apart, and unfortunately it's out of print. I saw it on bay of e for about £20 last year (I wasn't tempted to bid though).

I hope the HFW book is priced accessibly, and inspires a new generation to "make ends meat"
    Sleep well
    I don't know if you mean "Leftover for tomorrow" by Marika Hanbury Tennison but if you do there are plenty of copies about :)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Left-Over-Tomorrow-Penguin-handbook/dp/0140461655/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1435614554&sr=1-1&keywords=LeftOver+For+Tomorrow
    Some on fleabay too.

Goodnight all :wave:
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    I got some cut price economy cookbooks from Am@zon last year.
    Allegra McEvedy's 'Economy Gastronomy' was bought for 1p, as was Susan Campbell and Caroline Conran's 'Poor Cook'.

I still have very battered copies of Shirley Goode's books, my favourite being 'More for Your Money', written with Erica Griffiths. I just looked at Shirley's SH books on Am@zon and discovered one I didn't own. 'Goode For One'.
    No wonder I didn't buy that with the others in the 80s with a OH, DD and DS plus large dog.
    Now DS is finally about to move out, so I ordered it for 1p, plus postage. Oh well, it's well gone midnight so yesterdays' NSD is still intact.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Forumite
    edited 30 June 2015 at 6:18AM
    I don't know if you mean "Leftover for tomorrow" by Marika Hanbury Tennison

I wondered as soon as I saw that name if she was married to Robin Hanbury-Tenison, the writer/traveller/explorer chap. No wonder she knows how to make summat out of nothing. They did live in the middle of dartmoor or exmoor - don't know if they still do. ETA - they actually lived on Bodmin Moor (knew it was remote) and Marika passed away in the 1980's according to the online encyclopedia.

Greying x

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Forumite
    Good Morning :hello:

I was wondering how I would categorize last night's dinner. Leftovers or bulk cooking. The stew (Mongolian) was left over from last month's menu planner - but had been stored in the freezer - natch ;) The rice was in the store cupboard and the broad beans and spinach were in the freezer. I had bought the veg for dishes last month and this month, and used up the excess - or what was leftover has I hadn't made the original dish I had intended..... :think: Mmmm, guess this is why I don't 'get' the idea of leftovers.........or how you know what you'll have. But I do agree with satchmo that any tome that helps each generation with what I would term 'home economics' is a good thing! :D

They've just said it will go up to 30 degrees this afternoon. Appreciate they may have been talking about Londinium and the tennis, but phew!

We shall be having soup for dinner. Because that is what it says on the planner! I don't think it will be roasting hot soup though, it may well be allowed to cool slightly :D I shall be making flatbreads to accompany - hopefully. Unless the heat gets to me and I shall be lying down in a darkened room!

Have a great day, one and all.

Greying x

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,562
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Maybe leftover-type cook books are aimed at people who aren't already as adept at creatively using and storing any leftovers as you are, dear Greying! :kisses3:

I confess I'm a bit rubbish at using recipes - I tend to be quite wayward and ignore half the instructions :o :rotfl: but I'm feeling quite stuck in a food rut at.the minute so I think it's time to start investigating...

I'm veggie too (Mr Cheery eats fish, but not meat, but all our meals are veggie, he'll just stick a tin of fish on a sandwich occasionally). I know I have an enormous hardback Rose Elliot cook book under the sink and the few things I've made have been simple and nice, maybe I'll investigate...

I never know where to start with looking though :o Do you start by looking up things you have, or looking at things you fancy then going shopping?

Mr Cheery went shopping yesterday so maybe I'll start with what we have :D :rotfl: Staples we tend to have all the time are
    pasta
    risotto rice
    pasatta
    chick peas
    lentils
    cabbage
    frozen spinach
    porridge

a good thrifty selection :rotfl:

Having just been shopping we also have assortment of onions and other veg, including a giant.mountain of potatoes...

We usually fall back on risotto, omelette, home made pizza (although we have to buy cheese specifically for that else we.just scoff it all :o ), and pasta/tomato/lentils. I'm bored of those things
    which makes me reluctant to cook, so I end up eating nowt but yogurt and porridge!

Anyway, sorry for hijacking :o I was just inspired by all your talk of recipe books :D In fact I'm going to drag myself out of bed and see which ones I have :j I know we've got a few of those little Stork margerine ones from the 1950s- including one called somethig like 'Stork goes on a caravan holiday' which gives meals for an entire week! But ALL the recipes involve copious amounts of margerine amd I'm podgy enough at the minute :o :rotfl: Wonder if I've still got 'Vegetarian grub on a grant' from when I was a student? (suppose they'll have had to think of a new title for the later editions :eek: :rotfl: )

Right, will stop waffling, sorry :o:D
  • satchmo1
    satchmo1 Posts: 2,729
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't know if you mean "Leftover for tomorrow" by Marika Hanbury Tennison but if you do there are plenty of copies about :)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Left-Over-Tomorrow-Penguin-handbook/dp/0140461655/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1435614554&sr=1-1&keywords=LeftOver+For+Tomorrow
    Some on fleabay too.

That's exactly the one, THANK YOU: it's in my basket. I remember buying it from a book club offer, along with two reference books that also got used until they fell apart. Well, we didn't have a telly for the first few years, and were both bookworms. I still am!

The self imposed rule is that fiction books go to the CS, but it's unbearable to part with reference books; hence the mountain of book boxes still awaiting shelf space.

I'm surviving thanks GP, keeping active and splitting my time between voluntary work that promises to turn into paid work, and looking after mum and DH. Pursuing joy has felt like a mammoth task for much of this year, but I keep on, and am rewarded with occasional glimpses. Your diary is a good source.
    What would you get if all you got was what you were thankful for?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure