Mobility New Car question

I'm a support worker for a blind lady. Her partner is also registered disabled.

He drives and was telling me he wants to buy a new car. I said to him that I'm 100% sure they can get a car on mobility. He said they will cut their benefits if they do.

Is this Right?

Surely they will be better off than going out and buying a brand new car??

Matt

Comments

• w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Not necessarily

To use the Motability scheme you have to be in receipt of enhanced mobility PIP or higher rate mobility DLA (or one of the armed forces equivalents).

If you use the motability scheme you stop receiving the mobility component and instead effectively rent a car for 3 years, with restrictions on how you use it, and then give it back at the end of the 3 years.

Over the 3 years you pay £9000 of benefits to Motability, which covers the car, insurance and recovery.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Skivey wrote: »
    I'm a support worker for a blind lady. Her partner is also registered disabled.

He drives and was telling me he wants to buy a new car. I said to him that I'm 100% sure they can get a car on mobility. He said they will cut their benefits if they do.

Is this Right?

Surely they will be better off than going out and buying a brand new car??

Matt
    To have a car through motability a person must have an award of either high rate DLA mobility, Enhanced mobility PIP or war pensioners mobility supplement. See this link about mobility.
    https://www.motability.co.uk/

If they have any of those then yes they can have the car BUT instead of recieving the mobility payments it would be paid to motability for the use of the car. It wouldn't affect any other benefits. If either of them don't have one of those awards above then i'm afraid they wouldn't be able to have a mobility vehicle.
  • Skivey
    Skivey Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ok that makes sense.

Ill have a read up for her.
    She receives a higher rate of disability as she is 100% blind since birth.

THanks

Matt
  • Please be careful giving advice/guarantees in these situations unless you understand disability benefits a bit more.

Even if they did get a motability car, if their ESA is reassessed (if they get this) or they are assessed for PIP instead of DLA and they no longer get high rate mobility, the car will need to go back. So many people in this position.

They may be better staying with buying normal cars. If he isn't disabled and doesn't need an adapted car himself it doesn't give him any real benefits. He may well be better off sticking with the system he's got now.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary

They may be better staying with buying normal cars. If he isn't disabled and doesn't need an adapted car himself it doesn't give him any real benefits. He may well be better off sticking with the system he's got now.

It depends how much income they have. Turns out that a lot of disabled people are not that well off. We get a new car with fuel being the only extra outlay. If it needs to go the garage for servicing then we get a replacement car. I pay a fixed amount every month with no sudden shocks or big bills that comes along normally with car ownership. It is one less stress in a stressful situation.

I know there are people that paid £100 for a car 15 years ago and have never spent a penny on it. Also that mobility have a huge cash excess.

However, it really depends on individual circumstances. If you are happy owning a car and can take any sudden bills then its not for you. However if a sudden car breakdown would cause you serious problems then its worth considering.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

I totally agree with mrcol here. Not everyone has the money to buy a car upfront. For those they reply on benefits most don't have the income or the credit rating to even begin thinking about a loan or any other HP to buy or lease a car. If buying a used car then you really do have to be careful what your buying and no what you're doing, it's always a risk and can end up costing a fortune. Some can't even afford 2nd hand cars these days.

I had my first mobility car just over 1 year ago and i'll be honest it's the best thing i've ever done. No bills, no worries, just fuel. While i understand it's not for everyone and depending what you choose can work out expensive in the long run but for some people they have no option. Mobility car or nothing.
  • The Motability scheme is a fantastic And the easiest way to get a new car every 3 years however it can be bad value for some and depends on many variables.

Pro's

Completely worry free motoring
    No insurance costs to worry about
    NO servicing costs or MOTs to worry about
    No unexpected repairs or breakdowns costs to worry about
    20,000 annual mileage allowage
    Great choice of cars

However it's not for everyone as mentioned earlier as there are cheaper and better value ways to get a new car if........

You do limited mileage or low mileage.
    Only need a small car (city car)as you can lease these for under £120 a month
    Need a good credit file history

But you have to pay and arrange everything else yourself every year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure