How do you get over it?

Options
124»

Comments

• Sir1973
    Options
    Hi. you'll be fine, trust me. I went through bankruptcy in 2009. It was a good decision if I'm honest as it gave me a fresh start and was an immense relief. I understand losing your home is very stressful but you'll pull through. Keep your family and friends close to you as their love is priceless. Money has never been a friend to me throughout my adult life, I hate the stuff at times. I had some of the happier times in my life when I earned even less than what I do now. It helps you get back to basics in some ways.

I was fortunate when I went bankrupt in that I didn't actually "lose" my home, there was a government backed scheme at the time called "mortgage rescue" which meant an approved social housing provider purchased my home from my mortgage provider at the time then rented it back to me, so my Son and I didn't have to move out ! I don't know if similar schemes still exist but may be worth looking into.

Good luck and stay positive, you'll be fine
  • threeofus
    threeofus Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    thanks @sir1973 sadly that scheme doesn't exist now. I wasn't bankrupt, had very little and manageable debt. I was abused emotionally and financially and as a result can not keep my home. I can't borrow enough to buy the beneficial interest so have no option. I am terrified of having to agree to vacant possession as the children and I would then be homeless. I was told this wouldn't happen, lied to and given false promises, he may have the fresh start he wanted debt free and is indeed starting his life again whilst I'm having to sort this out and it's stressful. Saying that I have amazing friends who have really helped keep me strong, don't know what I'd do without them to be honest
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Unless you sell to a landlord, your sale will be made with vacant possession. Who is advising you otherwise?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • threeofus
    Options
    I meant having to vacate before sale, we can not do that as I'd have no money to house ourselves, think I have got my plan in place so feeling better xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure