Living richly; simply and debt-freely

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,058
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Heard an ad for those offers yesterday GP and thought they sounded good. I would no doubt have passed o the toms as I suspect they were NOT British at that price and we only buy British ones. However all our shopping for the week is very definitely done and dusted and I will not be going NEAR another supermarket until Sunday at the earliest! :D

Hope your coffee & cuddles were both lovely! :T
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • I suspect they were NOT British at that price and we only buy British ones.

Hope your coffee & cuddles were both lovely! :T

No, clearly marked produce of Andalucia, Spain.

Coffee was stone cold :( But cuddles more than made up for it :D:T

So I nipped up the high street, but determindly purchased just what was on my list. Regrettably, I have no excess in last week's budget to purchase anything for the food bank this week. I shall aim to do better for next week though, as I have a suspicion that it is half-term, and I think milk will probably be even more in demand. And that is British, which does please me to buy and to say :D

We put a cash gift from the non-gardening grandparental into BG's saving a/c- get them into the saving habit young!

I also forgot to say that i made some hummus with the kala chana over the weekend - red pepper with the left over merguez spices. It was nice, and definitely the best use for the kala chana. i think I have one tub of cooked left over in the freezer and about 250g? of dried left. Then i'm DONE :j:rotfl:

Right, a sanger, with my name on it needs to be made! :D

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,300/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (March) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £45/90)

Grocery spend March £174.96/215  Charity Blankets completed 1/24

• try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Really enjoy your postings gp and love all the recipies ,great diary.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,336
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 17 October 2016 at 7:10PM
    Good Evening :hello:

Thanks try harder - that's a very kind thing to say :D

Tea was OK. Not quite as tasty as I had hoped, I think cheese/dairy was the missing link. I should have either sprinkled in some grated grano padano, used some yoghurt or used some nutitional yeast. It was nice, but could have used a bit more 'toothsomeness' I think :D So basically I fried up some onion, garlic and celery. Whizzed it up in a blender with some cannellini beans. Fried off the chopped leeks in a little butter - stirred it all together with my leftover egg whites and the last 2 eggs and then transferred into a greased pan. Sprinkled over some sesame and nigella seeds and cooked at 180 for about 25 mins. Served with buttery mash, made with wilja potatoes, some mrL carrots and some (frozen) green beans. Picture here;

029_zpsfbxs3a9q.jpg

There is a portion of mash left over and two slices of the bake. First to the front door, gets dibs on it ;) Whilst I had the oven on, I also made an apple crumble. The apples - which I think are probably bramleys, were off a roadside stall when we went to a NT place the other week. Not content with buying apples from there, we bought from the roadside too! It smells delicious though, really applely - hope it delivers on taste. I will be partnering it with the last of the clotted cream & raspberry ice cream.

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

help and generosity from a near neighbour

gifted, HG produce - so tasty! And I saw the leeks actually being dug up!

menu-planning - hope it gets me through a lean week :D

Thanks for popping in and reading. Mucho appreciated.

Greying X

• Ok, I'm being cheeky but the mash is mine if you have some hp sauce.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 9lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 30.15% through my pb challenge.
  • Ok, I'm being cheeky but the mash is mine if you have some hp sauce.

As it's you darlin' I just got off my b u m and checked. We have about 3/4 ters of a 425g squeezy bottle - is that enough??????? ;):rotfl:

Greying X

• Good Morning :hello:

We're up, breakfasted and all systems firing already - what a boon to be ahead :D

Unless it stops raining, we'll be able to snag a nsd, as the only thing on the list is the TV listing guide, and frankly, we don't 'need' that today.

Tea this evening will be soup - thick and hot - if this weather don't let up! :( I was going to make vichyssoise (leek & tattie), but I used up 2 leeks for tea yesterday, and there is only one left. Not enough to flavour the soup - unless anyone knows what the french is for 'mostly potato soup with an accent of leek'? :rotfl:

Tidying is on the agenda - is it ever off?

Right, I'll quit whilst I'm ahead. DH is on 'daddy duty' so I've been able to drink my coffee whilst still hot :j (and safely away from curiosity :D). So I'd better shift-a-tail-feather and tag in for 'mummy duty'.

Thanks for popping in and reading. Mucho, mucho appreciated.

Greying X

• You were up and at it before I was this morning GP! I was only about 5 minutes behind you though! :D

Mash....Mmmm! :T

What flavour soup we having then as there's not enough leek?!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her

• What flavour soup we having then as there's not enough leek?!

I'm leaning toward lentil and vegetable, as that will best use up what we have. But a neighbour dropped by and we got talking about food - nope, I don't live near to Pippi (regrettably :() - and I was reminded that i have 2 perfectly good pumpkins/squashes that I have yet to decide what to do with constructively. I had actually started looking this morning at recipe inspiration - but do you know what, dear reader. I set it to one side in order to do some sorting/tidying up! :rotfl:

What an effect these diaries have ;)

I was thinking this morning that the 'menu-planning' that i am doing at the moment is better than trying to come up with a certain dish, everyday for 30/31 days. It's been a revelation to me - I'm enjoying the 'soup' of Tuesday, or the '
    with rice' of a Wednesday, 'bake' of Sunday or 'curry' of Saturday. It seems to make me much more creative with what I have, rather than going shopping for great long lists of things, and still having an empty fridge half-way through the month.

Right, I'm going to have a last blitz at the tidying up and then I'm going to start tea.

Greying X

• Good Evening :hello:

Well, tea has been made and scoffed. Not very exciting, but lentil and vegetable, as stipulated :D I shoved a tub of Harira out of the freezer in too, to bulk out the lentils, and use up a portion that would otherwise have only really served 1. The harira had been made a couple of weeks ago with the kala chana, you can see a couple in the picture. Harira is usually made with meat or meat stock. I have no idea where my veggie version comes from, but the nearest ingredient wise, with the exception of the caramelized lemons, can be found HERE. I also added in a stockpot, along with some chopped carrots and some chopped parsnips that I had bought from mrL. I also threw in some little sweet peppers that Great Uncle 'Topher had given me. And I threw in the last of the merguez spice that I had made additional of for the hummus. The base of the soup was onion, celery and garlic. Served with a dollop of natural yoghurt, a drizzle of pomegranate molasses and some onion seed. So a mish-mash rather than a recipe, but a hearty soup/stew - just right for the weather and no additional purchases needed to put a bowl of good food on the table :j Picture here;

035_zps8rtufrrm.jpg

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

unexpected preloved gifts for Baby Greying - generous and 'green' :D

progress with tidying up/decluttering - OK so I've not got out of one room yet, but everything I touched today was ditched/recycled, homed or rehomed :D

Baby Greying's giggles - spontaneous, responsive and uninhibited :D

Ta for popping in, reading and revelling in me mash :rotfl:

Greying X

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport