Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

Comments

• koeman
    koeman Posts: 2 Newbie
    my family recently experienced a 3 and half hour delay with this crowd and were dealt shockingly so sod em i thought i'd stick a claim in for the massive inconvenience (we had to cancel a family meal to celebrate my 30th and my daughters 2nd birthdays as we were so late home). When we boarding the captain and flight crew told us that routine maintenance wasn't completed in time so was running late, therefore i deem this as completely avoidable on TC's part.

anyway!

i have just sent the template letter with the mileage, delay and confirmation of our booking etc giving them 14 days to reply.

Whats the next step should i not get a reply within 14 days? do i resend it? or move straight to legal proceedings?

i see a lot of people saying its taking months for a response...
  • loudmouth
    loudmouth Posts: 232 Forumite
    I sent a recorded letter to Thomas cook claiming for delayed flight.28 days later (Saturday) I received an email enclosing a voucher for £1050. I replied straight away asking them to send me a cheque instead, they have as yet not replied. Do you think I should phone them?If so does anyone have the number I should use?
  • tigertrumps2
    tigertrumps2 Posts: 41 Forumite
    edited 7 June 2013 at 1:38PM
    I have been notified that the above flight was caused by " a technical defect and also by operational changes performed by the flight operator". T/C refused the claim when i persued it on my return back home, after 6 months CAA have just emailed saying that my case has been closed as a fellow passenger took T/C to court and the outcome was in there favour !!!!!!! How can this be, court action is my next step and Watchdog notified to, any suggestions guys

Thomas Cook Flight Vegas TCX124 10.11.2012 33 HOUR DELAY
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have been notified that the above flight was caused by " a technical defect and also by operational changes performed by the flight operator". T/C refused the claim when i persued it on my return back home, after 6 months CAA have just emailed saying that my case has been closed as a fellow passenger took T/C to court and the outcome was in there favour !!!!!!! How can this be, court action is my next step and Watchdog notified to, any suggestions guys

Thomas Cook Flight Vegas TCX124 10.11.2012 33 HOUR DELAY

Suggest you read various threads regarding the validity of the CAA - as useful as a chocolate teapot at best. It is really up to you to read through the threads and the FAQ's on page one and decide if you have a strong enough case/will to take them on :)
  • koeman
    koeman Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hmm I also didn't send the letter recorded. Wondering if I should send another...
  • Pooch_2
    Pooch_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hi I have never posted on a forum for advice before so please bare with me. I applied to Thomas Cook for compensation for a flight from Dalaman to Manchester September 2012. We where delayed just over 5 hours. I have received a reply (see below) stating i am not in the qualifying period and I don't know what to do now. Do I just accept that they will not pay out or can I fight it more. Please help x

I am writing in response to your letter regarding your recent travel arrangements with Thomas Cook.

Initially, I would like to apologise for the disruption to your flight plans. Please be assured that a lot of work goes on behind the scenes to ensure that any delays are kept to an absolute minimum, as we do fully understand the inconvenience and frustration these can cause.

I can see that you are making a claim for a payment under Regulation 261/2004. Having carried out a full investigation it would appear that your flight was not delayed for the qualifying period specified in the regulation. In view of this a payment is not applicable under the rules of the scheme.

Please be assured that on-time performance is a key measure for us as a business, and we constantly review our operations to ensure we deliver the best results, and service. I would like to offer our apologies for any inconvenience you were caused on this occasion and I hope that despite this, your stay was found to be an enjoyable one.

Kind Regards,
  • tigertrumps2
    tigertrumps2 Posts: 41 Forumite
    111KAB wrote: »
    Suggest you read various threads regarding the validity of the CAA - as useful as a chocolate teapot at best. It is really up to you to read through the threads and the FAQ's on page one and decide if you have a strong enough case/will to take them on :)

So the CAA are a total waste of time then ??. As far as i am aware TC are aware and thought the CCA were there to protect the public !!!!! I guess the next stage is the Small Claims Court then
  • bennmark0
    bennmark0 Posts: 27 Forumite
    loudmouth wrote: »
    I sent a recorded letter to Thomas cook claiming for delayed flight.28 days later (Saturday) I received an email enclosing a voucher for £1050. I replied straight away asking them to send me a cheque instead, they have as yet not replied. Do you think I should phone them?If so does anyone have the number I should use?
    try 0844 8798136 and there is an option for flight delay
    or 01274 387943 this is there litigation office
  • About 4 weeks ago, I used the template on MSE and sent it to TC.

I had no communication from them - I followed up with their customer service people, who were friendly enough, but I didn't get anywhere to even start the conversation on my problem.

I used the CAA template, wrote a letter and was about to post it..........

An email arrived, with a voucher for the full amount I'd claimed. I have since booked two flights to Tenerife later in the year - and have had the full refund using the voucher.

I have to say, it would have been a better experience with more communication, but I regard the outcome as a result!

In summary, my impression is of a helpful company, that needs a slightly better comms approach!

:j:j
  • BTW - I did not have my booking reference!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure