The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Comments

• Hi, I was hoping some of you might be able to help. I am a medical student and as such don't have much money to save away, but want to start giving it a go!
    As it is i have approx £250 i can put away and then perhaps another £50 per month to put away at the MOST. However, I would also like easy access to my money and if needs be withdraw everything whilst gaining the largest return. Im not sure how best to go about this. I presume i dont pay tax so could go for one of the savings account but as i have so little money and would like as much access as possible I'm not sure what to do next. Hope someone can give some advice as all the research I've done on the site has overwhelmed and bamboozled me slightly!!

may thanks,

MoneySavingMedStudent
  • djbd1973
    djbd1973 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You could put £250 a month into an instant access cash ISA which will give you tax free savings up to £3k until the new tax year, and then you can save up to £3.6k a year tax free.

I would start there myself.

lets see what other people suggest too

Good luck
    Gordon Brown ate my hamster
  • Rafter
    Rafter Posts: 3,850 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MSE Dan,

Please stop recommending accounts with overseas banks as best buys without warning that they are not as safe as most big UK banks and Building societies.

Although the government has guaranteed retail deposits, there is no fund in place and customers could be waiting years for their savings and will lose interest in the interim.

Much safer to put your money in a large UK institution that the government will bail out straight away as they did with Northern Rock.

R.
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not sure if it's been spotted but there is an inconsistency and in fact an inaccuracy in the article as it stands currently:

"Top rate, but only offline access. 6.55%

West Bromwich’s Star Easy Access Account is the best payer on the market at the moment with a huge 6.55% AER, although it can only be managed by phone or branch. This rate is guaranteed to be at least 0.5% higher than UK [URL="javascript:displayHiddenBlock(1)"]base rate [/URL]until 1 Feb 2009. "

then

"Guaranteed Rates

Base Rate Guarantee: West Bromwich’s Star Easy Access account, my overall top pick, pays 6.55% AER currently and is guaranteeing to beat the [URL="javascript:displayHiddenBlock(1)"]base rate[/URL]by at least 0.3% until January 2012, making it the top guaranteed account. "

But on the West Brom page it states "
    Guarantee that the rate will be at least Bank Base Rate + 0.50% until 01/02/2009, and at least Bank Base Rate until 01/10/2009." So Martin's got the second part wrong. Would be good if this could be corrected to avoid confusion.

Also it would be helpful if it could be mentioned in the article that the Brom saver only permits 12 withdrawals a year without penalty as this is a restriction that the other top picks don't have.
  • Interestingly, I've just had an email from icici saying my account is up and running, despite the previous one saying the cheque from the joint account wasn't acceptable... I'm going to log in to check ifthe account has a balance other than nil!

Jenni
    What good's the sky when you have no days to watch it by?
  • I have gone back to NR. 6.49 on silver savings
  • TomJ
    TomJ Posts: 224 Forumite
    Hi, I was hoping some of you might be able to help. I am a medical student and as such don't have much money to save away, but want to start giving it a go!
    As it is i have approx £250 i can put away and then perhaps another £50 per month to put away at the MOST. However, I would also like easy access to my money and if needs be withdraw everything whilst gaining the largest return. Im not sure how best to go about this. I presume i dont pay tax so could go for one of the savings account but as i have so little money and would like as much access as possible I'm not sure what to do next. Hope someone can give some advice as all the research I've done on the site has overwhelmed and bamboozled me slightly!!

may thanks,

MoneySavingMedStudent

You have to consider whether you want the most right now, or to maximise your future savings income. If the later, then go for an ISA; growing your ISA pot now means a greater proportion of your savings will be protected from the taxman in future years. If you want as much as possible for potential immediate use, I would look at the LloydsTSB Monthly Saver. It pays 8%, although you can only have it open for a year; you can make withdrawals without penalty.

You say you presume you don't pay tax; as long you earn less than £5,035 from all sources this year this is true. However, your bank won't know this unless you tell them and will therefore deduct tax from any interest earned; make sure you pop into your branch and fill in the relevant HMRC form to allow them to pay you all of your interest.

NB If you are above the tax threshold, an ISA would have to pay more than 6.4% to give you more than an 8% savings account. However, the tradeoff I mentioned between benefit now and in future tax years still applies.`
    I am not a financial advisor or other expert. All posts are purely my thoughts at the time for discussion, not advice. Bear in mind, even most of this disclaimer is ripped off another forum user. Please check out the facts first before doing anything.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,520 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Some of you can say all the bad things you like about NK (what has Branson got to do with it?) I still think that its' 1 year bond is the best product on the market at the moment, and have just transfered 30k into it through my wives acount, as she is a non-tax payer
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • anandp
    anandp Posts: 279 Forumite
    I didn't seem to have a problem with ICICI either.

Opened a sole HiSave account and with a cheque from a joint account - seemed to open straight away.

The issues with mistaken emails are probably the case of an employee not quite in the know, then overuled by a senior person.

I think someone mentioned not recommending overseas banks - and in the most, I'd agree especially after the Northern Rock stuff, but once that overseas bank has a proper presence in the UK, i.e. more than 1-2 branches, regulated by the FSA and adopted the Banking Code, you're fine.

ICICI and IceSave have both done that!
    Interested in property investment, web tech, social media, forex, equities. Also a proud father & entrepreneur of sorts.
  • im on a selfbuild project and have 70 grand to put away from my mortgage.i will need to draw on it from time to time to buy materials to build my house,,so i need instant access.any ideas where to go without any withrawl penalties?????
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback