I'm eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge

Comments

• Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    It is nice Tracey and makes a change.
    Thanks for reminding me, I panicked when I saw your post as I just remembered I bought some gammon steaks and bacon from Lidl and put in fridge in garage over Xmas to create space. Just checked and Feb date, so all is well and I'll have Viking gammon on Wednesday with roast veg.

Nearly a NSD, popped into Sainsbury's to maybe get some bread reduced, but was too late. Anyway, noticed they were reducing their mixed nuts (basic ones) from £2 to 60p and took the last packet. Scanned at till at only 10p!!!! Pity there wasn't any more as the birds would have got a special treat, probably donate these to the birds anyway. Nothing else, though they had loads and loads of cartons of brandy butter for 10p.

Bacon, eggs and mushrooms for breakfast tomorrow as hubby's off in morning and I'll bake some part-baked rolls. Possibly pizza later with wedgers. I should really not put anything else in freezers for a week or two and save pennies..............we'll see. I've got 3 packs of fish fingers and I'll have some this week, hubby can have kippers or smoked cod. Only bought the fish fingers because of coupons!!!

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • 'Found' a whole chicken buried in the freezer so had that for dinner yesterday roasted with garlic and lemon. The remains have had some mushrooms and a nice thick gravy, using some of the lemony/garlic juices, to make a base with a crunchy mash topping.
    Was lovely!

Tomorrow I'm going to use some double cream reduced from the fridge with chicken/garlic & herbs to make a pasta bake. Should use up some of the pasta mountain I have.

Have some stale bagettes so may make a little garlic bread to go with the dinner. Toasted sandwiches at lunchtime can be made out of some of the panini rolls that are a little stale now, too. (all reduced)

Failing that a bread and butter pudding would go down very well for a teatime treat.

Need to make something lovely and sweet for the cake tin as we are all out of cake for supper time. Have lots of oats and coconut so may have to work those in this week. Flapjacks, digger biscuits maybe.

Pleased with my spends so far. Going to plan. :)
  • Lynsey - that viking gammon sounds good!!

lynnysinger - I will have a go at the drop scones, but I think I will do them for breakfast, as I often struggle to find stuff that they will eat and I bet they would find them quite a novelty.

I made chilli and I have got soooooo much of it!! There was only 300g of mince but I added carrot, celery, onions, tomatoes and kidney beans and it made loads. It was lovely tasting and I don't know whether to freeze it or eat it again tomorrow.

DD1 had corned beef hash, so I have half a can of that left for the sandwiches tomorrow.

After the meal tonight I offered apple pie or crumble but that was not what they wanted. I made up a sachet of Carnation rice pudding which I got BOGOF before Christmas and I have to say it was one of the most disgusting things I have ever tried. I don't like to throw food away but that went into the bin! DD2 has just made herself a ham sandwich because she said that she was starving because I haven't got any food (or rather cr*p) in!!

Looks like it will be NSD tomorrow too so I have got a loaf in the breadmaker for butties for lunch and I microwaved too many potatoes for the hash tonight so I will make wedges with them for tea tomorrow with something out of the freezer.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    and I still have loads of my hm butter which I made from 17p creams the other night!!

Ooh, how do you make butter? I don't have any cream but I'm intrigued!
  • Kirri wrote: »
    Ooh, how do you make butter? I don't have any cream but I'm intrigued!

I bought 7 600ml tubs of cream, each reduced to 17p in Tesco. I whipped the cream (in batches as my bowl wasn't big enough for all at once) until the cream separated into buttermilk and butter - it happens all at once after you've whipped for a while (about 4 - 5 minutes) you need to put a tea towel over the bowl when it starts to separate or the buttermilk with splatter everywhere! Then I turned the butter into a collander in the sink to drain the buttermilk and then ran the cold tap over the butter and really washed it well, mixing with my hands to make sure that I washed all the buttermilk out (it goes rancid quickly if you don't wash it). Then I put it back in the (washed out) bowl and added a bit of salt and then made it into blocks about the same size as half a pound of butter and wrapped each one in baking paper, put this in a freezer bag and froze it. I got about 10 blocks of butter from my tubs, but I only used 6 as I made whipped cream out of one and froze that. Cost me £1.02 for the butter and it tastes lovely - works out at just over 10p a pack!! It's a bit messy but worth it if you can get reduced cream!
    Jane

• Sounds good recovering, i thought it had to be done in a food processor, but i have a hand whisk so will give it a try :)
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I bought 7 600ml tubs of cream, each reduced to 17p in Tesco. I whipped the cream (in batches as my bowl wasn't big enough for all at once) until the cream separated into buttermilk and butter - it happens all at once after you've whipped for a while (about 4 - 5 minutes) you need to put a tea towel over the bowl when it starts to separate or the buttermilk with splatter everywhere! Then I turned the butter into a collander in the sink to drain the buttermilk and then ran the cold tap over the butter and really washed it well, mixing with my hands to make sure that I washed all the buttermilk out (it goes rancid quickly if you don't wash it). Then I put it back in the (washed out) bowl and added a bit of salt and then made it into blocks about the same size as half a pound of butter and wrapped each one in baking paper, put this in a freezer bag and froze it. I got about 10 blocks of butter from my tubs, but I only used 6 as I made whipped cream out of one and froze that. Cost me £1.02 for the butter and it tastes lovely - works out at just over 10p a pack!! It's a bit messy but worth it if you can get reduced cream!

I never knew you could do that with cream! Thanks for explanation, I shall investigate further, it sounds quite hard work though!! Is the buttermilk useable too or is that literally all washed away in the process?
  • lindseykim13
    lindseykim13 Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    Kirri wrote: »
    I never knew you could do that with cream! Thanks for explanation, I shall investigate further, it sounds quite hard work though!! Is the buttermilk useable too or is that literally all washed away in the process?

you can pour the buttermilk out and keep for baking, i (well mostly dh) have just spent this evening making butter from reduced cream with the jar method as we don't have a blender. Just shake it in the jar until in sepperates. :)
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I tried doing this last week but I couldn't get it to turn into butter

Tried a whisk, and tried a food processor - using double cream - but it never moved on from a whisked state even though it did seem to turn colour. Was trying it for ages.
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • Frogletina wrote: »
    I tried doing this last week but I couldn't get it to turn into butter

Tried a whisk, and tried a food processor - using double cream - but it never moved on from a whisked state even though it did seem to turn colour. Was trying it for ages.

Did you whisk for long enough? I seemed to be whisking for ages and then all of a sudden it "went" - I didn't think the food processor worked but I used an electric hand whisk.
    Jane

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure