I'm eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge

Middy
Middy Posts: 5,394 Forumite
OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
. Milk
. Fruit/Veg
. Bread
. Yoghurt
. Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
. Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
. I ran out of food
. I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.

Comments

• mymerrywidow
    mymerrywidow Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i will join you, but i wont be buying milk as i have 12 pints in the frezzer and wont be buying bread either as i make my own. but yes it will be fun and am so looking forward to defrosting the frezzer and not have to do it quick as the food is starting to defrost. :o
    i wonder what is lurking at the back of those cupboards/freezer. cant wait to find out :eek::eek:
    life is like a loo roll. the nearer the end you get, the faster it goes.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I will join you too, if I may,its about time I used stuff up rather than looking at it,my trouble is cant resist a bargain and keep topping up.

I make my own bread,yogurt etc and have a few weeks worth of long life milk and cheese

Are you starting today.
    Slimming World at target
  • flutterbyuk25
    flutterbyuk25 Posts: 7,009 Forumite
    I'll join you too as I am moving in 6 weeks so need to eat up freezer contents and some cupboard stuff to save lugging it all to the new place (which is only accross the car park but involves 6 flights of stairs down and 6 flights of stairs up!!). I will only need to buy fresh fruit/veg, cheese and yogurts as I make my own bread and have lots of long life milk already. I do SW but most of itis SW friendly so should be ok!

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • mouseymousey99
    mouseymousey99 Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    I'm doing the same this week. We had some huge bills so I have $10 (my sterling button isn't working) to last this week. Not so bad, I bake too. The old bread so has been turned into bread & butter puds (with almonds and apricots) today I made a summer pudding & thats in the fridge for tonight. Tonight is Korma, chicken for himself & I'm veggie.
    Quite interesting to see what is lurking in the back of the cupboard and the freezer.
  • alandbailey
    alandbailey Posts: 444 Forumite
    I have one large upright freezer, one commercial sized chest freezer and one medium fridge/freezer. I cannot resist a bargain and all are crammed to overflowing. What makes things worse is that I use to buy for a family of 4 adults - now I live alone and after weightloss surgery, eat very little. I think I am buying food as a substitute for comfort eating.:o At least I can give my leftovers to my chickens or even cook some of the stuff just for them. :j
  • i will join you, but i wont be buying milk as i have 12 pints in the frezzer and wont be buying bread either as i make my own. but yes it will be fun and am so looking forward to defrosting the frezzer and not have to do it quick as the food is starting to defrost. :o
    i wonder what is lurking at the back of those cupboards/freezer. cant wait to find out :eek::eek:

you be careful at the back of them cupbroads too much angel d
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm due to go on holiday soon and have been trying to eat everything in the greenhouse
    It's salad with everything, i'm getting quite use to lettuce on toast.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    May join people in this. I'm a bit of a food hoarder lol. I'm also trying to save money so will eat pasta, rice, pasta, rice lol. Potatoes go off too quickly!

My brother's moving in with his girlfriend and being replaced by someone else so instead of sharing 2 drawers in the freezer I will only have 1! So need to condense it down. I may need to buy potatoes to go with some of the stuff though. I rarely buy bread and milk - they tend to go out of date and mouldy, so my challenge is to eat things before they go out of date!!!
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I suppose Sharon you need to go back to the way they use to shop, you know using the local shops for just a few things at a time. What you really need is a bigger freezer
    I see what you mean now, your brother and his g/f are moving in with you, that's why you have less room. I thought at first you meant he was moving out, and in with his g/f
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I suppose Sharon you need to go back to the way they use to shop, you know using the local shops for just a few things at a time. What you really need is a bigger freezer
    I see what you mean now, your brother and his g/f are moving in with you, that's why you have less room. I thought at first you meant he was moving out, and in with his g/f

He is moving out, we use to shop together, so we had 2 drawers between us. But somebody else will be moving in who I won't be shopping together with. So that means I will have 1 drawer, not 2. It will mean the freezer will go down more slowly though.

I can't afford to buy a freezer just for me lol. I'm moving out in less than 3 months, so will try and find a place with 2 fridge/freezers!

I've still got lots of cupboard space and lots in it! 8 tins of Napolina Chopped tomatoes for example (less than half price they were :D)

Btw my local shop is the supermarket it's 5 minutes walk away!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure