What's the 'protocol' on responding to PMs?

I'm posting on this board in case there's an offical MSE line - but I'm interested in personal opinions too.

If you get a PM, how do you respond? Is there a protocol? Does that include simply ignoring them?

Or is there an expectation that you will reply - even if it's just to say "Thank you for your message" or "I am happy to discuss your concerns on the boards - even if it is just to thank you for your message?"

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    There is no any 'protocol'.
  • I would respond or not as I saw fit. If it is a nasty pm I would report it. Is it a pm that you feel like responding to? Is there a problem with it.
  • coolcait
    coolcait Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    edited 16 April 2014 at 10:33PM
    I would respond or not as I saw fit. If it is a nasty pm I would report it. Is it a pm that you feel like responding to? Is there a problem with it.

Thanks, folks - that's helpful feedback.

It's a question which has crossed my mind a few times when I've received PMs.

If it's a nasty PM, or one which is trying to provoke a reaction, then I just ignore it. If it goes beyond that, then I'd have no qualms in reporting.

However, when it is a PM asking for advice then I don't feel right just ignoring it. My preference is to answer that kind of question on the boards - not least so that others can offer further advice and comments, and correct anything that I've got wrong.

But, if the person has chosen to PM rather than post, maybe they feel it's too sensitive for the boards... Dilemma.

Hence the question.

If there's no particular protocol, then I'm quite comfortable just making my own judgment call on PMs, as and when needed.

Thanks to you both for helping me get that clearer in my own mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure