PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Going vegan......old style?!

Options

Comments

• Cat72
    Cat72 Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    edited 3 August 2009 at 9:50AM
    Options
    Does it give you reflux (a bitter taste in your mouth, a burning sensation in you chest etc)? You could try something less acidic such as carrot juice or apple juice or tomato juice may be good to try. :)

Quite a lot of people are intolerant of orange- especailly in orange juice form.If that is the case you will be fine with apple juice and just avoid citrus drinks.

HEATHER MILLS NOW OWNS REDWOODS !!

Was thinking how her Vbites products look like Redwoods .I read your article Joyful25 and found a link here where Heather has bought Redwoods .
  • Zahava
    Zahava Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Joyful25 wrote: »
    It's going to be Asda today I think as want to see if we have any Pure cheese (we've got a big store so I'm hoping).

If I don't find any, can anyone recommend a vegan pate? I'm sure there's a mushroom based one knocking around but I can't remember where I saw it.

Joyful, I meant to reply to this before but I forgot :doh:but Asda do three vegan Pâte one is the redwoods vege deli brussels Pât! - £1.34 which is found in the chiller vegetarian section (where they do all the yucky quorn stuff), and granovita vegetable Pâte and mushroom Pâte - 93p and they are found in the freefrom section. HTH. Hope you managed to find the pure cheese slices I'm dying to try them unfortunatly our asda does not stock them and when I asked if they may start stocking them in the future I was met with a shrug of the shoulder...customer service is not their forte :wall:
    All that glitters is not gold
  • Joyful25
    Joyful25 Posts: 91 Forumite
    edited 9 August 2009 at 8:28AM
    Options
    Zahava wrote: »
    Joyful, I meant to reply to this before but I forgot :doh:but Asda do three vegan Pâte one is the redwoods vege deli brussels Pât! - £1.34 which is found in the chiller vegetarian section (where they do all the yucky quorn stuff), and granovita vegetable Pâte and mushroom Pâte - 93p and they are found in the freefrom section. HTH. Hope you managed to find the pure cheese slices I'm dying to try them unfortunatly our asda does not stock them and when I asked if they may start stocking them in the future I was met with a shrug of the shoulder...customer service is not their forte :wall:

Thanks so much Zahava, this couldn't be timed better as I've just popped on here to remind myself what others have found in Asda, as I plan on going later. During my last trip it was just so busy I faffed around a lot, so I need to be more organised :cool: And I've just realised you're 'The Others' as it was you who posted the helpful Asa info, so thanks again!!

Know what you mean about CS. I've worked in retail before, and it was drummed into us, so I'm must admit I'm always on the look out for it. l
    :D
  • Joyful25
    Joyful25 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    Does it give you reflux (a bitter taste in your mouth, a burning sensation in you chest etc)? You could try something less acidic such as carrot juice or apple juice or tomato juice may be good to try. :)

Thanks VeganClaire, for some reason it isn't the acid, I just seem to get backed up, ahem, if I have any.

I think I might be ok with apples, it's been so long since I've drunk any I can't remember, so I might try again :beer:
  • Murrell
    Murrell Posts: 520 Forumite
    Options

Shopping wise, a new Morrison's is opening up near where I work and I'm interested to know if anyone has any vegan tales about it as I'd like to use it as often as I can if it's good value.

Hi,

Morrisons do stock refridgerated vegan items made by redwood as previously mentioned and some of there frozen items are vegan friendly. I love the butternut squash and nut roasts, there is also a couple of nut burgers and falafels. They also stock some linda mccartney foods. My morrisons also has a good choice in there health/free from section, although mainly sweet items. Morrisons own brand free from items generally aren't vegan though. I haven't checked for a long time as the last thing i tried was awful (bakewell tarts). One thing that is bad is that all there bakery bread contains milk and they don't produce a vegan list, dispite several requests from the vegan society that get ignored. I know about the bread as a friend works there and got the manager to ring the bakery supplier to find out for me! Still not a bad store for a vegan though.
    Hope this helps.
    Sandra
  • sunshinesheli
    Options
    The Asda near me has the Pure Cheese slices :) I've not tried them yet though.. the exploding rice milk incident has put me off fake dairy somewhat!!
    Feb GC: £197 :T / £320 Feb £5 a day challenge: £ / £145
    I'm a (rubbish) Flylady!
    Still De-cluttering in 2012!!!
    :beer:
  • Zahava
    Options
    Thanks so much Zahava, this couldn't be timed better as I've just popped on here to remind myself what others have found in Asda, as I plan on going later. During my last trip it was just so busy I faffed around a lot, so I need to be more organised :cool: And I've just realised you're 'The Others' as it was you who posted the helpful Asa info, so thanks again!!

Know what you mean about CS. I've worked in retail before, and it was drummed into us, so I'm must admit I'm always on the look out for it. l

yay! done something helpful, I can spend hours wandering around food shops scouring the shelves for vegan goodies, drives the oh mad (he won't come shopping with me anymore..great no more whinging:)) I was bad enough when I was vegetarian but it has got loads worse since not consuming dairy or egg.

Tesco and Asda do cofresh nut bars that are vegan (not all of them though, the cocunut has egg in it and the fruit and nut has honey) peanut is 20p in tesco and asda, pistashio (really nice as a treat) is 51p in asda and 53p in tesco, sesame is 25p in tesco and 24p in asda and the mixed nut is 44p in tesco but I haven't seen it in asda.

Hope everyone is well, the thread seems to have died down a bit, I wonder if we should do the meal ideas thing again? I for one have been very lazy and I'm not getting much variety in my diet if I'm not eating linda mccartneys and redwoods mock meat then I fall back to cooking what I know which is indian lentils and spinich (very good for you but I'm getting bored with that now too) just need to get inspired again.

Is anyone going to the london vegan festival this year on the 6th September? I'm hoping to get some inspiration there, this will be my first one.
  • Joyful25
    Options
    Heey Zahava, silly question but where are the cofresh bars, in the healthy section, snacks, or cereal bar sections, I'll have a look out for them! :T
    How was the vegan fest? I really want to get one under my belt this year.

I agree totally, haven't been on here for some time, but it does seem a little quiet - I hope everyone's ok??? :confused: I'm in a little rut again, but it's daily rather than weekly - I need a trip to Costco to stock up things then I feel better!

I've a lot to talk about, but will try and keep it to the main points:

Last week went to Amsterdam with mum and sis, unfortunately forgot to take my little list of veggie places to eat. However, I got round this by just asking in the places we did go to. A great cafe near Central Station (the Haarlem soul cafe) did a lovely tom and basil soup, and an Irish bar did me vegan enchiladas (absolutely no hassle to make without cheese - yay!) and I succombed more than once to veggie burger and fries. The city also has Mazo Falafel take-away outlets; a bit pricey but you can add your own salad which I naturally did with gusto.

My sister made yummy not very healthy flapjacks to take (although she did add seeds) - they kept for five days and were brilliant. She adapted a recipe from a Comfort Food recipe book.

I went shopping to Sains on Sat - Cauldron tofu was half price! Linda M sausages under £1! :money:
    I had to pop into Tesco last night, and Alpro large tub yoghurts - 2 for £2! Not really a lot of money saving, as I bought double the quantities I would have normally bought but hey it won't go to waste.

Morrisons has opened up near my work - thanks to posts on here, I've picked up what I call fake sandwich meat; I also went to a great Asda near a couple of weeks ago which was really well stocked.

Well I'm off to try and finish Twilight - anyone on here succomb to the hype?? although it's a bit of a teen read, it's pretty gripping - not usually into vampire stuff but it's pretty addictive xx
  • Zahava
    Options
    Hi Joyful, the cofresh bars are usually found in the asian groceries or world food shelves, I always keep one or two in my bag just incase a situation arises where I'm starving and there are no vegan goodies around.
    Did you enjoy Amsterdam? I love it there but the oh won't entertain the idea of going, he says it's filthy...whatev!
    I didn't get to go to the vegan festival I am v. dissapointed, unfortunatly had the rellies staying and them being meateaters they weren't very interested in going...have no idea why :confused:
    Where is everybody on this thread? [big tumbleweed passes through] how is everyone? still following a vegan diet or fallen of the wagon?
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    Options
    Zahava wrote: »
    Where is everybody on this thread? [big tumbleweed passes through] how is everyone? still following a vegan diet or fallen of the wagon?

I was thinking about this thread today myself (great minds and all that :rotfl:)

I thought you might (or might not :confused:) be interested in what I made yesterday. My DD1 wanted me to make toad in the hole. I've got a couple of vegan recipes for it, but they do tend to be a bit on the heavy side. So I decided to adapt the scotch pancakes recipe from the parsleysoup website.

8oz sr flour
    2 tsp salt
    couple of tsp dried herbs (if you want to put them in)
    350ml soya milk
    vegan sausages (I like the Redwoods ones)

Mix the dry ingredients together, then whisk in the soya milk.

I made it in individual dishes, which fitted one chopped sausage each. I put the chopped up sausage and a bit of Pure soya spread in the tins then put them in the hot (about 220C) oven to heat up, then I poured on the batter (about half filled the tins). I had some left over, so I made some individual yorkies in muffin tins. Then I put them in the oven and cooked them for about 20 minutes. They were much lighter than other vegan toad in the hole batters I've had. It made 5 individual ones and 5 spare yorkshire pudding type things (of course they don't rise the same as proper yorkies). They were very tasty anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure