Warning and advice about LCS Utility Investigation Civil Enforcement Debt Recoveries

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 September 2011 at 5:54PM
    Even though it has been 5 months since I had this bad experience with LCS. which has caused me a lot of distress. As I was worried that I would be taken to court or that they would send bailiffs round and take away my furniture. And the leters I got from LCS were very frightening and caused me a lot of worry.

But I was lucky that I am with the council who were very helpful and gave me the letter that British Gas and LCs wanted to prove that I had moved out of my old address on 6th December 2009. And once LCS saw the letter they were satisfied that I was not the person that owed the dept and closed my case.

But what worries me is-what if I had not been with the council at my last address,and I had been with a landlord who sold the property and had gone to ground and I did not know where to find him? What would have happened to me then? As some people are with private landlords and letting agencies,who sell the property and go to ground. Indeed at my first flat I had,the landlord sold the property and the letting agency is not there any more. But that was long before I was with the council and I thankfully did not have any problems then.

But thank God I was with the council when this problem with LCS happened and so I was able to get that letter from them to prove that I was not living at my previous address.But now I am thinking of moving again,but I may have to get a private flat. But because of this experience I with LCS and British Gas-I am worried that the same thing might happen to me again.

And one of my worries is that what if it does happen again? Or it happens to some one else who is with a private landlord who sold the property and gone to ground,and so they CANNOT get a letter from the landlord to prove they are not living at their old address?What happens then? As British Gas never told me my account at my old address was still open.I only found out 18 MONTHS LATER when they sprung it on me out of the blue,though LCS a third party.

But it should never had happened to me,if my account at my old address was still open by their mistake. They should have just told me 18 months ago when I first moved into my new address. They should not have gone behind my back to the depts people. There was NO NEED FOR THAT. All they had to do,was just tell me then,18 months ago themselves. And I would have got the papers or any other information British Gas asked me for there and then. And they could have just closed that account at my old address as it should have been closed.

But instead they never told me a thing,they just went behind my back to LCS the depts people-without giving me a chance to even explain to them their mistake. And I did give them a final meter reading the day I moved out of my old address. And they told me at the time they did close my account and they did send me the final bill for my old address. Which said I was in credit. What happened to me was wrong and even though it has now been sorted out. What about all of the distress it has caused me? I wish I could sue British Gas for what they did to me. It is not right.What they did was cruel and spiteful.Going behind my back to the debts people and all for nothing.

Now because of all this I am afraid to move house now in case British Gas do it to me again. Barbara.
  • annbarbs wrote: »
    ... Now because of all this I am afraid to move house now in case British Gas do it to me again. Barbara.
    Get rid of British Gas as your supplier, then! After this, why are you still with them?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • :DiIhad this. i phoned british gas as they had sent it to the occupeir at my addrewss but with a name of a house sidewinds i think it was, So being the dutiful citizen i phoned then told them they had wrong person wrong house address etc next thing i know i had an associated address on my experian account that was nothing to do with me, lovely people!!!
    Mum 30k/29000
    BC1 11500/11300
    BC2 10500/10300
    BC3 6500/6400 NW 950/800 Next 600/450
    Here we go a again!!!:mad: DFD Oct 2016 hopefully!!!
  • System
    edited 20 September 2011 at 5:28PM
    Get rid of British Gas as your supplier, then! After this, why are you still with them?

Well,when I first moved into my new flat British Gas were suplying the electric which was fine by me. But Scottish Power supplied the gas. And Scottish Power were charging me twice as much as British Gas did. So I switched to British Gas. As British Gas prices are cheaper for gas and electric than a lot of other energy supliers. So if I changed to someone else they might charge me more than what I am paying now.

But you are right,if this does happen again,maybe I should change my energy supplier as I have never heard of a mistake like this happening with other companies. But next time I move I will write a letter to both the billing department of British Gas and home moves department of British Gas to confirm my move. And when I move into my new address, I will talk to both departments to make sure that they do close the account properly at my old address,should I move in the future.

And I would advise anybody who is moving home to write a letter to British Gas to confirm you are moving and put the date you move out. So that way they have written confirmation from you that you have left your old adress. But of course there is no guarentee they won't make the same mistake again. But all you can do is write a letter telling them you are moving or have moved. And then ring both departments to make sure they close your account at the old address. That is all you can do. And also keep any papers from your old adress,e.g,eviction letters from your landlord,letters from housing benefit,as proof that you have moved out. Barbara.
  • System
    edited 16 October 2011 at 8:13PM
    As you know I have been very upset with what British Gas have done to me. So much so that it has effected my mental health. As I am worried that the same problem could happen to me again the next time I move home.

So I decided to take the matter higher and complain to the Head Of Complaints Department at British Gas. I spoke to one of the managers and I told him what had happened to me with British Gas and that they went behind my back and put LCS onto me. And that although it is now sorted I was not happy as British Gas should not have gone behind my back to LCS in the first place. The manager already knew my case and about my previous complaint. Which was to the complaints department, but not with the head of complaints department.

I told him I was able to prove I was not living at my last address because I was with the council. And so I could get a letter from them to prove I was not living there. But I told him that one day I might want to get a private flat with a landlord. And what if I was in a position where the landlord had sold the property? And two years later they,British Gas come to me claiming I owe money for a previous address I no longer live at and I cannot get a letter from the landlord to prove I am not living there? What then? I told the manager that I was considering going to the energy ombudsman about the way I have been treated. As I did not want British Gas to do it to me again.

What the manager told me next was very reassuring,he told me that if I could not get a letter from the council or landlord to prove I was not living at my previous address,they would accept my tenancy agreement at my current address or something else.

That made me feel better and he also advised me that what happened to me was very rare, and that I was the unlucky one it happened to. And he also advised me that next time I move,I put it in writing the date that I moved out and include the final meter readings. That way they have a letter from me and not just a phone call which can go unrecorded.

But what made me feel even better was that he told me British Gas are sending me a compensation cheque for £50. And I got the cheque in the post for £50 from British Gas on Friday with a letter of apology.

So I feel better knowing that I don't have to get letters from my previous landlords to prove I am not living at my old address. And the manager even said that even if they took me to court, the court would find out that I was on benefits and that I was not living at the old address. As you cannot hide from a judge. So LCS would loose in court.

So I have got the cheque and it is true that my bills with British Gas are very low for both my gas and electric. Which is why I do not want to switch. As if I join another energy supplier they may charge me more money for my duel fuel.

So because British Gas have said sorry and that £50 does help. This time I will give them the benefit of the doubt. But if it happens again. Then I will have to think about changing my energy supplier. Barbara.
  • dc61
    dc61 Posts: 43 Forumite
    I've been receiving correspondence from a company called Robinson Way. They have rung me at work (no idea how they have my number or details or indeed my NEW name!). It's one of those calls where it rings, you answer and you have to "press any key to continue". You then go through to the call centre. As it was a call at work, I was obliged to press any key. I was met with an arrogant young man who demanded to know my current address - no preamble or anything. I refused to give any details. He quoted an address I lived at in 2003 and said I had been living there ever since and owed United Utilities over £6000. I pointed out the date I moved out and the fact that they were informed in writing. I also pointed out that I moved completely out of the area at that time!!

They wanted to see a copy of my tenancy agreement from 2003 showing the date from and to together with a copy of all my subsequent addresses since then. I pointed out that I was hardly likely to have kept a tenancy agreement from so long ago but they just poo poo'ed it. Eventually I informed them that I have to have CRB clearance for my job and that they had accepted my address details and the fact that I had moved from the address all that long ago.

In the end, I refused to cooperate any further and put the phone down. I then got a letter saying "further to our conversation, please contact us on receipt of this letter to confirm it has reached the correct recipient"!!! I was livid, how did they get this address, especially as I changed my name in 2008! Anyway, I ignored it and then got another one of the phone calls which I refused to "press any key". I then got a really threatening 'we are taking you to court letter' and I rang them. The 'boy' I spoke to immediately apologised and said it was all a mistake, he couldn't understand why I had been contacted by them in the first place and that I would hear nothing further about it!! Now what is that all about!!!

Anyway, hopefully that is the end of the nonsense with them but the posters on here are right, bully boy tactics which are extremely frightening and intimidating especially in these tight financial times.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I know this thread is a bit on the old side originally - but really the one over-riding thing for everyone here to remember is:

IT'S UP TO THEM TO PROVE YOU OWE THE MONEY... NOT FOR YOU TO PROVE YOU DO NOT!

Granted sometimes it's easier to prove you don't, but please do not feel bullied into it!
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • System
    dc61 wrote: »
    I've been receiving correspondence from a company called Robinson Way. They have rung me at work (no idea how they have my number or details or indeed my NEW name!). It's one of those calls where it rings, you answer and you have to "press any key to continue". You then go through to the call centre. As it was a call at work, I was obliged to press any key. I was met with an arrogant young man who demanded to know my current address - no preamble or anything. I refused to give any details. He quoted an address I lived at in 2003 and said I had been living there ever since and owed United Utilities over £6000. I pointed out the date I moved out and the fact that they were informed in writing. I also pointed out that I moved completely out of the area at that time!!

They wanted to see a copy of my tenancy agreement from 2003 showing the date from and to together with a copy of all my subsequent addresses since then. I pointed out that I was hardly likely to have kept a tenancy agreement from so long ago but they just poo poo'ed it. Eventually I informed them that I have to have CRB clearance for my job and that they had accepted my address details and the fact that I had moved from the address all that long ago.

In the end, I refused to cooperate any further and put the phone down. I then got a letter saying "further to our conversation, please contact us on receipt of this letter to confirm it has reached the correct recipient"!!! I was livid, how did they get this address, especially as I changed my name in 2008! Anyway, I ignored it and then got another one of the phone calls which I refused to "press any key". I then got a really threatening 'we are taking you to court letter' and I rang them. The 'boy' I spoke to immediately apologised and said it was all a mistake, he couldn't understand why I had been contacted by them in the first place and that I would hear nothing further about it!! Now what is that all about!!!

Anyway, hopefully that is the end of the nonsense with them but the posters on here are right, bully boy tactics which are extremely frightening and intimidating especially in these tight financial times.

It is quite likely that this was a scam. I and other people have had calls where it is an automated voice that tells they are from so and so,press 1 or 2 on your keypad. NEVER do that. Just put the phone down at once. And also you will find that if you dial 1471 which tells you the phone number of the last person who rang you. If it says we do not have the callers number to return the call. Then it is a call from abroad and not a call from the UK.That is trying to con or scam you. Barbara.
  • I have also recently received a letter from LCS claiming i owe them £714.02 for a british gas bill of an address ive never lived at. I experienced the same as you regarding speaking to the company. I found them persistant and rude and started asking questions and providing proof of tenancy agreement and bank statements which i obviously dont feel comfortable giving them my bank statements. They said they investigated it and said the information i gave and what they have match and that i was living their and need proof otherwise. I contacted british gas several times and didnt really help me and all they said was they've sent the debt to a debt recovery company and when i asked which company he didnt want to tell me, and when i asked him can you not send them proof that my name is not registered with them on that billed address the guy said it has nothing to do with us and that i have to send them proof.
    I think this company is scamming people have stolen details of customers. I help this helps and the company is LCS (Utility investigations civil enforcement debt recoveries)
    1st floor west wing, town centre house, the merrion centre, woodhouse lane, leeds, LS2 8LY
  • Hi everyone,
    I am looking for some advice on dealing with debt collecters named Robinson Way.
    I moved out of my parents house 2years ago and lived in an apartment on my own for 6months, then I moved into a house with my partner where I have been living for the past 1n a half years.
    Recently, I have been getting calls on my work phone from Robinson way, they ask me straight away if I live at 12 Canal View (the apartment) So I say to them who is this and why are you calling me? They then say they cannot give me any information until I confirm whether I live at the apartment or still do live there. So each time I tell them I am not giving any information until they give me a reason for calling me! Which they do not. I am not aware of any debt at my old address?
    They also call my partners mobile phone during the day while he is sleeping as he works night shifts. I have no idea where they have got his mobile number from! I am getting very sick of it now.
    I would be greatful if someone can give me some advice on the following,
    should I be giving them any info ie, if I lived there/my new address.
    should they actually be calling me are they breaking any laws?
    will this go against my credit rating?

thankyou so much for your help:)
    Gemma
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family