They've Stopped my Incapacity Benefit!

I am so upset at the moment as I have been getting IB for a number of years because I suffer from depression. I recently went for a medical where the doctor asked me questions such as 'do I drink in the mornings' and 'did I have a good night's sleep the night before'. Well, it just so happened I had had a good night's sleep the night before and I never drink in the mornings. I told him, though, that I frequently wake up early in the mornings and find it hard to enjoy books or music like I used to etc.

However, I found out yesterday that my IB has been stopped because I received my P45 through the post. I rang to ask why they had sent me this and they said I had failed my medical (they hadn't sent me a letter to say I'd failed and that my IB was being stopped!).

Im in absolute bits as I suffer from panic attacks and all the usual symptoms of depression and there is no way I can go back to work. Yet someone sitting behind a desk somewhere has decided I "haven't got enough points" in order to still get the IB!!!

I am going to the CAB on Monday to see how to appeal but Im so scared and upset about this. My husband will have to come with me and lose at least half a day's wages. How easy or hard is this to sort out? Ive heard it can take months and in the meantime Ive lost my money (my husband earns too much for me to get income support). Im finding it difficult to think straight and just can't think how Im going to get on without the support of IB.

Comments

• You are doing the right thing in going to CAB as you must appeal and they will help you,but appeals can take time
  • beachbeth wrote: »
    I am so upset at the moment as I have been getting IB for a number of years because I suffer from depression. I recently went for a medical where the doctor asked me questions such as 'do I drink in the mornings' and 'did I have a good night's sleep the night before'. Well, it just so happened I had had a good night's sleep the night before and I never drink in the mornings. I told him, though, that I frequently wake up early in the mornings and find it hard to enjoy books or music like I used to etc.

However, I found out yesterday that my IB has been stopped because I received my P45 through the post. I rang to ask why they had sent me this and they said I had failed my medical (they hadn't sent me a letter to say I'd failed and that my IB was being stopped!).

Im in absolute bits as I suffer from panic attacks and all the usual symptoms of depression and there is no way I can go back to work. Yet someone sitting behind a desk somewhere has decided I "haven't got enough points" in order to still get the IB!!!

I am going to the CAB on Monday to see how to appeal but Im so scared and upset about this. My husband will have to come with me and lose at least half a day's wages. How easy or hard is this to sort out? Ive heard it can take months and in the meantime Ive lost my money (my husband earns too much for me to get income support). Im finding it difficult to think straight and just can't think how Im going to get on without the support of IB.

You can appeal. Ask for form GL24 "If you think our decision is wrong". Get it in as quickly as possible, it must be in one month from when you where disallowed, if its going to be late you must give your reasons why. Use the word "I wish to have my claim reconsidered and if necessary appeal" this way a decision maker will look at it to decide if they can give you any more points.

I f the decision maker doesnt revise your claim it will be forwarded onto The Appeals Service, you can claim reduced rate Income Support while you wait on your appeal to be heard.

Hope this helps.
  • beachbeth wrote: »
    though, that I frequently wake up early in the mornings and find it hard to enjoy books or music like I used to etc.

I don't get this part. What difference does it make that you don't enjoy books or music like you used to?

Sue x
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    I don't get this part. What difference does it make that you don't enjoy books or music like you used to?

Sue x

I assume you haven't had depression?

DLA is about the care and support that you need due to being unwell. From what the OP has said, they need support and encouragement to do everyday tasks such as, for instance, reading.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • dmg24
    I f the decision maker doesnt revise your claim it will be forwarded onto The Appeals Service, you can claim reduced rate Income Support while you wait on your appeal to be heard.

The OP's husband works full time and therefore they will not be eligible for IS.

beachbeth, hopefully CAB will be able to help with your appeal. If not (not all areas have sufficient resources to help), feel free to post back and we'll do what we can to help x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    dmg24 wrote: »
    I assume you haven't had depression?

DLA is about the care and support that you need due to being unwell. From what the OP has said, they need support and encouragement to do everyday tasks such as, for instance, reading.

I think you may have got mixed up here as the OP was talking about IB rather than DLA but I see where you are coming from anyway.
  • they did this to me too back on may this year with no notice and it had been 9 MONTHS since my docs interview. I moved the same day it was stopped and was due to give birth to my first baby by the time id realised and it was over the month ( i explained the situation ) though i did appeal and after 6 months of waiting to hear about my appeal which i thought id be contacted about by letter, i called and they told me that my appeal hadnt been successful so i said i wanted to complain as no one bothered to tell me that.

Unfortunately these people just dont care.

You need to get on to it asap and take it as far as you can if you are feeling upto it. It is so unfair.

Also request a copy of the doctors report as when i got mine it was completely made up.I remember feeling at the time the doctor was foreign and didnt understand what i was saying properly.

I wish i had been more in top of it but with the move and having a baby it just escaped me.

Good luck and let us no what happens.
    :A
    £2 savers club 2009 051-£16
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2009 505
  • dmg24
    healy wrote: »
    I think you may have got mixed up here as the OP was talking about IB rather than DLA but I see where you are coming from anyway.

Oops, yep, blame eating pizza and trying to type at the same time! ;)
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Hi, I really sympathize with your situation as the same happened to me a few years ago - and I know how terrifying it can feel. I was lucky to find a great person to help me through the appeal - through a local family's unemplyed project, but your local MIND should have the same sort of advice and support on offer. I think it made the appeal panel take me more seriously because I had sought out support - aknowledged that the appeal process would be frightening on my own. This person talked through the questions with me, and on specific points that i could elaborate on, and accompanied me to the appeal.
    The points system is flawed - and makes a lot of assumptions and generalisations about what constitutes mental illness or inability to work. My advice would be to make sure that you are really honest and descriptive about your WORST days - as this is the bottom line. Certain things like eating disorders for example aren't really taken into account in the initial medical. The appeal should give you the chance to get past the points system and have your voice heard.
    I won my appeal. I can't say it was pleasant or not anxiety provoking - but not hiding how difficult I found the process only served to validate my depression to the panel.
    I wish you lots of luck. CAB is a great start. Remember you are not alone, and CAB people will have met lots of people who have gone through the same thing and gone on to win their appeal.
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Appeal within one month.

I would suggest you claim Employment Support Allowance while waiting on the IB appeal no harm in trying, 0800 0 55 66 88.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure