Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End

Comments

• M271 wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback.
    As it takes in my experience 4 to 6 weeks to typically change suppliers, if there isn't a Collective Switch available at the beginning of September I'll go with a competitive company on the cost comparison tool. Even a few unnecessary weeks at BG standard rate would blow any marginally cheaper deal cost advantage.
    I'll watch this space with interest as all of the best deals at the moment are with small companies which I will need to evaluate carefully before selecting.

I agree, it's the first time I've seen all of the reasonable deals being with the new smaller companies, and looking at other comparison sites, their customer service quality is often very questionable.
  • M271
    M271 Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    r2015 wrote: »
    I'm on the SG MSE collective as well and SG gave me a refund of £70 and put my DD up to £105 from £84 so will collect £210 by 3rd Oct.

I'm going on holiday and will probably only use £125 of gas and electricity by then, going on what I used last year for that time. so they will have to refund me £85 if I leave them.

At least I will get an extra 84p from Santander.

This is the second time they have put up the DD, if they had left it at what it was I would have had a zero balance on 3rd October.

They raised my DD as well even though we had a mild winter and I was not in negative territory.

I have not had a bill since February and when they recently asked me to give a meter reading within the next 14 days I get another email back saying that a meter reading is not needed yet! and the same happened with 7 days to go.

I am wary of these 'new' smaller companies with even the ones that currently get good reports could easily be swamped by new applicants if they have a good deal and customer service will suffer. I was previous successfully with OVO but even they seem to be not so competitive now.
  • M271 wrote: »
    They raised my DD as well even though we had a mild winter and I was not in negative territory.

BG raised my DD too a couple of weeks ago, even though I was in credit and it is the low usage time of year. I rang and they said they would reduce it back down. But they didn't. so I rang again and they again said they would reduce it. Maybe it was in anticipation of their 35% increase if I went onto their standard tariff!

At any rate I'll be getting the surplus back on 4 October, but if BG is a company with good customer service, then I dread these small upstarts with bad reputations already.
  • Hi martin998877,

The team here at MoneySavingExpert has been working hard with suppliers to try and get things prepared for a collective later this year. Of course we’re well aware that we’ve lots of Cheap Energy Club users who are coming to the end of a collective deal and have run collectives during September for the past couple of years.

That said, the energy market is pretty tricky right now. We tried and unfortunately failed to secure a national collective in November 2016 and February 2017 and in April could only get a winning deal from a less well-known supplier, Green Star.

We really hope to be able to pull something off, but this is far from guaranteed just yet and as such we can’t confirm the dates of a collective. As soon as we have more information to share, we’ll include it in the weekly email and on the site (our editorial team are working on a guide to go up in the next few days).

I understand this may be a little frustrating, but I can assure you the lack of news on this isn’t because we’re not working away on this.

I hope that helps to reassure you.

MSE Laura
  • M271
    M271 Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    In about a weeks time the Collective Switch ending 3rd Oct will be within the 50 day period without penalty. That's when it will be decision time either to:
    1) Get a deal soon and start the switching process. Maybe could have had a few more weeks at the low Collective Switch rates but the more expensive rate deals are at a lower usage time of year.
    2) Wait until closer to the date for better deals or new MSE Collective Switch but risk having some weeks at the BG variable rate which is much higher than current deals available.

Decisions, decisions!!
  • Yes I am on this tariff but take on board your point re regional variations.
    Alex
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    M271 wrote: »
    In about a weeks time the Collective Switch ending 3rd Oct will be within the 50 day period without penalty. That's when it will be decision time either to:
    1) Get a deal soon and start the switching process. Maybe could have had a few more weeks at the low Collective Switch rates but the more expensive rate deals are at a lower usage time of year.
    2) Wait until closer to the date for better deals or new MSE Collective Switch but risk having some weeks at the BG variable rate which is much higher than current deals available.

Decisions, decisions!!

Just to be clear, if BG is advised that a transfer is in progress by the new supplier in the period up to ‘end of fixed contract plus 20 days’ then you have tariff protection. In other words, you will stay on your present fixed tariff rates until the actual transfer goes through.
  • Ads1
    Ads1 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Hengus wrote: »
    Just to be clear, if BG is advised that a transfer is in progress by the new supplier in the period up to ‘end of fixed contract plus 20 days’ then you have tariff protection. In other words, you will stay on your present fixed tariff rates until the actual transfer goes through.

I wasn't aware of this. When I switched before I was about a week outside my fixed rate deal when the switch went through and I got charged the standard rate for that week. I'll keep an eye out for this in future. Thanks
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Ads1 wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of this. When I switched before I was about a week outside my fixed rate deal when the switch went through and I got charged the standard rate for that week. I'll keep an eye out for this in future. Thanks

Access to Supply Licences on the Ofgem website appears to be down at the moment but this is a response from E.oN to this particular issue:

Quote: Provided we're notified within the Price Protection window (open from the date of the renewal notice until 20 working days after the tariff end date), we'll make sure prices are protected and customers aren't defaulted to our standard tariff. Exit fees don't apply when inside the window either. As long as the account is applied for during the window, we'll continue to protect prices even if the loss date is after the window closes. Unquote

If your new supplier doesn't inform the old supplier before contract end then your old supplier may move you on to its SVT. That said, it SHOULD change you back to your old tariff if transfer in progress notification is received in the period contract end to 20 days. Note: not all suppliers are signed up to 17 day switching. Iresa, for example, isn't and it has 35 days to transfer your supply from the date that it receives your application to switch. More importantly, it takes NO action to inform the losing supplier of a transfer until after the 14 day cooling off period has elapsed.

It follows that if you switched to, say E.oN on the day before contract end that the price protection window would apply but if you chose Iresa it might not. You have to read the small print.
  • peterx
    peterx Posts: 137 Forumite
    Quidco are offering £130 cash back with Npower for a dual fuel Super Fix 2021 switch.I personally am thinking about going for this as i am on the BG collective which ends in October. This will only cost me an extra £10 a month after cash back.What do people think about this long 4 year fix.This could be a winner especially if prices rise.All very confusing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure