How to leave new job during probation?

Hi all, I posted recently about how I was not liking my new job due to basic training (I am a trainnee, entry level position) when I was promised full training, my manager is a nightmare to work with, generally the job is so stressfull it's effecting my health and it really isn't my cup of tea.

The end of september I would have been with them 3 months, also it is the end of my probation period. I plan to hand my notice in tomorrow during my one to one and inform them that it isn't for me, thank them for the opportunity etc.

However, in my contract it states that I can use my holiday as my notice. If I've calculated right I should have 5 days holiday for the 3 months I worked. Should I ask if I can use my holiday as my notice? Ultimately I do not want to go back at all! If I could I would text my manager now and tell her I won't be going in tomorrow or ever! It's really that awful.

Also would anyone know how to bring the subject up with my manager? I'm not to sure if she's going to tell me if I have passed probation or not tomorrow, ideally I'm hoping I havent so it's a mutual decision. I'm 50/50 on if I am, my line manager doesn't seem happy with my work, all her comments are negative, this last week and a half she has cooled off and not responding to emails and hardly checks up with me on the phone ...... also she missed my one to one meeting last week (which I was going to bring up issues I was having) on the other hand she has spokent to me about future work and her and the director is looking for a bigger office for us to move into.

In a way I feel guilty but on the other hand I know I need to escape I feel like I'm being suffocated and feel trapped constantly. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    As soon as you go into your 1-2-1 you need to tell your line manager that the job isn't for you and you are handing in your notice with immediate effect. Give them the opportunity to take that in and to react, then suggest that you could take your holiday entitlement and leave immediately. They don't have to accept that, but as you are still training it would seem to be the most sensible option.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The above is an option, but resigning with immediate effect would be a breach of your contract so you have to think about how you want to end it.

I agree with Tellit that you should be straightforward from the off and say that it's not right for you and you want to leave, and you want your five days of leave to cover your notice period. Thank them for the opportunity and all that.

At the end of the day you might need them for a reference, so personally I'd try to keep it as amicable as possible.

Don't feel guilty, sometimes places just aren't the right environment for you.

Just bear in mind that if you resign it could affect benefit entitlements, so if it would leave you penniless you may be better sticking out the job until you can find another. Indeed it would likely be easier to find a job if you are in work rather than out.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Do check your contract to ensure that there is no provision which says you must repay your training costs if you leave within a certain period of time.

Assuming there is no such clause, you should politely but firmly tell your manager that you are resigning. Thank them for the opportunity but explain that it is not for you. It is always a good idea to leave on the best terms you can.
  • In last thread you said you enjoyed the work? (It was why I felt I couldn't respond)

Even the most stressed boss could retaliate with you are only 25% trained - I worked for someone whose every other word was F or C and was a self confessed bully when in the office, that came out with this nugget, he was the only one that said you've got to listen to me.
    I was totally shell shocked as I would have been like you at one point. Fearing the worse when it just perhaps didn't exist, after being a minute late deliberately and then saying we need a chat. I have learnt to not chuck the tea towel in so early so to speak though, I had been unable to return to similar nature of work of this job I left including the very one before it as to consequences. Had to get into a brand new sector/industry/professionalism.

I know the older me will thank myself, things happen for a reason but it wasn't all roses just walking away.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Masomnia wrote: »
    The above is an option, but resigning with immediate effect would be a breach of your contract so you have to think about how you want to end it.

I said that notice should take effect with immediate effect, I did not say or suggest that the OP should breach their contract. If that had been the intention there would have been no point in suggesting using their holiday entitlement instead of working the notice period.
  • So how did it turn out OP?
  • Hi all, I posted recently about how I was not liking my new job due to basic training (I am a trainnee, entry level position) when I was promised full training, my manager is a nightmare to work with, generally the job is so stressfull it's effecting my health and it really isn't my cup of tea.

The end of september I would have been with them 3 months, also it is the end of my probation period. I plan to hand my notice in tomorrow during my one to one and inform them that it isn't for me, thank them for the opportunity etc.

However, in my contract it states that I can use my holiday as my notice. If I've calculated right I should have 5 days holiday for the 3 months I worked. Should I ask if I can use my holiday as my notice? Ultimately I do not want to go back at all! If I could I would text my manager now and tell her I won't be going in tomorrow or ever! It's really that awful.

Also would anyone know how to bring the subject up with my manager? I'm not to sure if she's going to tell me if I have passed probation or not tomorrow, ideally I'm hoping I havent so it's a mutual decision. I'm 50/50 on if I am, my line manager doesn't seem happy with my work, all her comments are negative, this last week and a half she has cooled off and not responding to emails and hardly checks up with me on the phone ...... also she missed my one to one meeting last week (which I was going to bring up issues I was having) on the other hand she has spokent to me about future work and her and the director is looking for a bigger office for us to move into.

In a way I feel guilty but on the other hand I know I need to escape I feel like I'm being suffocated and feel trapped constantly. Any advice would be great. Thanks

I walked out of my job this morning - the shock and doubt is setting in!!
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Hi all, I posted recently about how I was not liking my new job due to basic training (I am a trainnee, entry level position) when I was promised full training, my manager is a nightmare to work with, generally the job is so stressfull it's effecting my health and it really isn't my cup of tea.

Quoted for records.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    I said that notice should take effect with immediate effect, I did not say or suggest that the OP should breach their contract. If that had been the intention there would have been no point in suggesting using their holiday entitlement instead of working the notice period.

Sorry old thing, misread your post.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • So I handed my notice in yesterday! My line manager was very shocked and said she wasn't expecting at all. She understood why and respected that I was upfront, she knows how recruitment is like marmite some people love it some people hate it. I can give one weeks notice or they have offered that I stay on until I find a new job. I've decided to stay on until I do, just hoping I find one next week and get it. Don't want to be there any longer than I have to
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure