Get ready for a Conservative/DUP coalition

Comments

• CEON44
    CEON44 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    It is indeed a dilemma and as I said I dont feel I have had much choice in my vote. I have become very unsettled lately of the large swing in Nationalist voters moving to SF. To me this says that some friends/neighbours/work colleagues believe that their best option is voting for murderers, terrorists etc. This shift I believe is why a lot of unionist voters have left the UUP. Both the UUP and SDLP are now sinking ships and at some point will disappear leaving both sides with only two options, vote for your colour or dont vote at all.
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The greatest free electioneering for the DUP was Michelle's speechmaking at commemorations for dead bombers, killed at loughgall and clonoe. Sit back and watch the votes come in.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    It's all wound up with the voter's dilemma of wondering what the point is in voting for a candidate unless everyone else does. Therefore vote for the candidate seen as the likely victor. These days that's the DUP or Sinn Fein. Vote while holding your nose.
    As above, the Sinn Fein/ IRA approach of the last forty years or so has been far from conducive to reasonable politics. Do you know anyone who was persuaded to alter their views by their antics? Since the united ireland was the radical option, the fact that there has been an absence of change in voting patterns towards some bright future where you can forget your past ( copyright, bob Marley) is their fault, not that of those who have failed to be persuaded.

We used to have a boarder in our house. We evicted him. The border hasn't changed though.

I haven't looked at the voter demographics yet. I wonder how the pre GFA kids are voting. The one who'd find it hard to make the SF IRA connection. The IRA is gone. It's the new votes coming through now who will make the decisions.

The only protestants I know who have been persuaded to vote SF now, are the ones who got them to successfully complete the DLA forms after their unionist office failed to get the award points.
  • x12yhp
    x12yhp Posts: 801 Forumite
    Sorry to seem like I am targeting but terms like "dup/uda" and "sf/ira" are what puts us here. These terms succeed in polarising opinion. Unionists hear the ira link and assume they need the dup to counter that. Nationalists hear uda and think sf is their option against. The use of these terms pushes people to vote for the parties, not the opposite.
    Always overestimating...
  • qwert_yuiop
    x12yhp wrote: »
    Sorry to seem like I am targeting but terms like "dup/uda" and "sf/ira" are what puts us here. These terms succeed in polarising opinion. Unionists hear the ira link and assume they need the dup to counter that. Nationalists hear uda and think sf is their option against. The use of these terms pushes people to vote for the parties, not the opposite.

Except during the troubles, when things were nasty, neither dup nor sinnfein polled well. Extremism has prospered post GFA.
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    Am I right in thinking that Protestantism was set up just so Henry viii could remarry?

In the same way that catholicism was set up just so they could have unleavened bread in the Eucharist...
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Surely holding the balance of power can only be good for us in NI in terms of finance for health, schools and infrastructure as well as during the Brexit negotiations.

Why so much negativity is beyond me.
  • qwert_yuiop
    Cotta wrote: »
    Surely holding the balance of power can only be good for us in NI in terms of finance for health, schools and infrastructure as well as during the Brexit negotiations.

Why so much negativity is beyond me.

Possibly. AF would need to remember that after another early election, Mr. C may be in number 10. Better not get too deep with the tories.
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Possibly. AF would need to remember that after another early election, Mr. C may be in number 10. Better not get too deep with the tories.

Agreed but Corbyn is in dangers of doing exactly what Mrs. May did in that he assumes he will win if there is another election - whilst it may only lead to awakening sleeping Tory voters.

In addition to this JC is being a little arrogant in feeling that finishing second entitles him to setup a government and lets face it if JC wins another election he won't be favourable to any Unionists regardless of what happens now.
  • qwert_yuiop
    Cotta wrote: »
    Agreed but Corbyn is in dangers of doing exactly what Mrs. May did in that he assumes he will win if there is another election - whilst it may only lead to awakening sleeping Tory voters.

In addition to this JC is being a little arrogant in feeling that finishing second entitles him to setup a government and lets face it if JC wins another election he won't be favourable to any Unionists regardless of what happens now.

Well that would be Sinn Fein's moment to turn up in Westminster.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport