Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

Company Pension and on zero hours contract

I'm on a zero hours contract covering for somebody on long term sick and have received a letter stating I will be auto-enrolled into their pension scheme on July 1st. Is this possible ?

Comments

• Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Yes, it is possible.

However they have not said they will auto-enrol you. They have said that you may be enrolled and they will assess you based on your earnings in July. So if you do enough hours in July to hit the earnings limit, you will be auto-enrolled. If you don't do enough hours, you will not be auto-enrolled until you do.

If you don't want to be in a pension scheme, you will be able to opt out and get your money back.

Pal
  • auldblerk
    auldblerk Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    The letter states that they will auto-enrol me on that date but thanks for your reply.
    Cheers.
  • I believe the letter may be misleading or worded confusingly.

It sounds like they have deferred your automatic enrolment for 3 months (just guessing based on dates)

Either you have hit the earnings trigger this month, or it's you companies staging date, and you should have been added to the pension scheme this month.

But Employers can postpone this for up to 3 months, in your case 1 July.
    On that date they will have to evaluate your earnings again and enrol you if they are high enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure