Computer problem.

Options

Comments

• Mista_C
    Mista_C Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Actually no. I put them both in slot one.

I understood that, when installing only one module, you should always use slot one.

I'll try that now.

Ideally, that's what is usually recommended but for this you're not technically installing, just testing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Tried both modules in both slots. Still no video, so I'm thinking on-board video failure.

They provide one long slot (about 4", with a locking catch on one end) and two short slots (about 1"), marked PCEIX16_1, PCIEX1_1 and PCIEX1_2, respectively.

Which one should I install a video card to?
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 16 April 2017 at 11:44AM
    Options
    Which one should I install a video card to?
    What video cards have you got?

Taking a step back; I assume PSU and fans all come on as normal? Have you tried :-
    1. turn switch at wall OFF (leave plug in); or turn PSU switch off it has one; press and hold power button and count to 20; turn switch on - try power.
    2. find motherboard battery - normally CR2032; replace it;

PS. if its an Award BIOS, then 1 long and 2 short beeps is a "Monitor or display card error"
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    What video cards have you got?

I don't have one yet, hence me asking where I would fit it to.
    I assume PSU and fans all come on as normal?

Yes.
    Have you tried :-
    1. turn switch at wall OFF (leave plug in); or turn PSU switch off it has one; press and hold power button and count to 20; turn switch on - try power.

Yes.
    2. find motherboard battery - normally CR2032; replace it;

Not done that, as I don't have any spare CR2023s on hand.

Even with a dead battery, wouldn't I get something on the monitor, if only an error boot message?
  • grumpycrab
    Options
    I don't have one [graphics card] yet, hence me asking where I would fit it to.
    Sorry, I thought you had one - my mistake. A PCI Express x16 (for the long slot) is probably the easiest to source (don't know about x1); ebay cheapest?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Mista_C
    Mista_C Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Before you go spending money on a card have tried resetting the CMOS settings?

If you look on your board, usually near the 2032 battery, you should see a jumper with 3 pins. Move the jumper on to the opposite side for a second or so then swap it back.

I don't expect it to work in all honesty but it's worth ruling out before spending money on something that might not resolve the issue (it should clear NVRAM at the same time).
  • grumpycrab
    Options
    Mista_C wrote: »
    If you look on your board, usually near the 2032 battery, you should see a jumper with 3 pins. Move the jumper on to the opposite side for a second or so then swap it back.
    eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    A PCI Express x16 (for the long slot) is probably the easiest to source

So this one would do?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GeForce-Graphics-Express-TurboCache-Technology/dp/B008SIFQ00/ref=cm_wl_huc_item
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 16 April 2017 at 5:23PM
    Options
    I found some CR2032 batteries, so I changed the CMOS battery, and did a reset too.

Still nothing. :(

I'm thinking it's the video.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Iv got a box of old video cards and you are more than welcome to one (no charge) if you want ..

Iv got nothing that is going to blow you away but if it works then at least you know where the problem is and can source one to suit your needs ..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure