PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Ten a Day challenge, join me

Comments

• I've only just seen this, though someone was mentioning "10 a day" this afternoon.

I have a question about celery - three sticks is a portion. Is this three whole sticks, or three pieces out of one of those packs of 'trimmed celery', which are considerably shorter? I had two big sticks with my cheesy pasta tonight (plus a serving of butternut squash), and this seemed quite a lot.
    (Odd meal I know, but I came in not feeling like cooking!)
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    800g of mostly veg, some fruit a day, wow! I'd like to try it just to see if I can and keep it and my other nutritional needs such as fats, protein and carbs within that. And CALORIES!

I love my veg, but it's one thing that takes more time than anything else to prep. I also love my meat and fish and tatties... Looks like the tatties are going to be a major loss.

I'll give it a go on next week's menu plan. All and any ideas welcome on making that menu plan up.

It would be really helpful if we could come up with a decent priced, realistic menu plan for that kind of consumption that tastes good and is filling, nutritionally sound, fulfilling etc
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    katkin wrote: »
    800g of mostly veg, some fruit a day, wow! I'd like to try it just to see if I can and keep it and my other nutritional needs such as fats, protein and carbs within that. And CALORIES!

I love my veg, but it's one thing that takes more time than anything else to prep. I also love my meat and fish and tatties... Looks like the tatties are going to be a major loss.

I'll give it a go on next week's menu plan. All and any ideas welcome on making that menu plan up.

It would be really helpful if we could come up with a decent priced, realistic menu plan for that kind of consumption that tastes good and is filling, nutritionally sound, fulfilling etc

Ill will miss tatties too but a carrot and swede mash isn't too bad and of course sweet potato counts. I`m going to try to make a bubble and squeak type thingy.
    Slimming World at target
  • It's interesting to see how everyone is doing with this. I have just started trying to up my fruit and veg intake, but wasn't aiming for a particular number. I have recently started eating porridge for breakfast, which I have with fruit and nuts; before that I was't eating much fruit.

Today's menu:

Porridge with banana, raspberries and ground almonds (2)
    Mid morning snack of some baby carrots with a few walnuts (1)
    Wholemeal pitta with peanut butter and a salad of spinach, sweetcorn, carrot and red onion (probably not enough of everything for 4 - perhaps 3?)
    Afternoon snack of an apple (1)
    But then tea was pretty much a re-run of lunch, except with potatoes instead of pitta bread - so not sure how to count it (another 3, or not?)

Ah well - it is an improvement on my previous diet, and I will try to get more variety :)

Partly it's remembering to keep buying different veg.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I love root veg mash as a sub for "ordinary mash" - I do equal weights of tatties, carrots and parsnips tried other combos but this one hits the spot for me so 2/3 of a portion is veg that counts. Still gives the tattie hit but not too sweet for my taste. :)I like celeriac too but pricey addition as I can only get wee ones for over £1:(
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Thanks for the great ideas. Since I love my veg, salad and fruit I think I can do this within 1,200- 1,500 cals.

Can we thing of the cost, how to make it as cheap as possible and easy to do, taste good too. I'm lucky enough to have a good stock cupboard of herbs, spices and condiments but it you'll be great to get an agreed menu plan out there that maybe MSE could promote in response to this 10 a day call....at what cost?

I don't always have much to space £s on extras, if I can manage this minimally and whatnot I think there's something in that for us to promote to help others.

Thankfully I love cabbage!
  • I would say variety is key rather than specific quantities of stuff. A salad with 6 items is better than a salad with 3 items, regardless of quantity. Also, eat a lot of colours and you know you have had a good variety.
    Mixed veg beats just peas.
    I was told that your own 'portion' is what will fit in your own hand.
    So, a handful of mixed veg = 1 portion. 1 handful each of 3 different veg = 3 portions. Different hands for different folks.

Today-

Breakfast - banana and cream = 1
    Lunch - salad - tomato/cucumber/pepper/beetroot [w/cheese, sausage and eggs] = 4
    Dinner - cabbage, peas, potato [with pork chops] = 3
    Dessert - banana and cream = 1 [does two bananas count as only one banana?]
    Mixed red fruit tea at bedtime = 1 ... maybe

Total = 8, 9 or 10 ...
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    meg72 wrote: »
    What list are you using?

On everyone I have looked at comes out as 5.

100g mushrooms 1
    1 tomato 1
    100g baked beans 1
    100g pineapple 1
    1 banana 1

Mushrooms and Banana are both on the lists. Mushroom is a veg and banana a fruit.
    Forget the "list", look at the nutritional content. This is where a bit of common sense comes in.

I wouldn't touch the beans either as they are swimming in sugar, ditto the pineapple.

Mushrooms (protein) and tomatoes (f) are nutritionally sound choices though. And the banana is under-ripe, so that's much better than dark.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • In terms of eating 10 a day, no-one needs to eat 10 FULL portions of veg or fruit.
    So long as the body is getting 10 different fruits and veg a day and has the different vitamins and minerals to work with, you will feel much healthier.

You can take 10 a day in one glass.
    Blend
    spinach
    carrot
    garlic
    cucumber
    celery
    apple
    banana
    parsley
    blueberries
    kale

Easy....job done and if this is on top of your normal meals, you will feel great.
  • VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Forget the "list", look at the nutritional content. This is where a bit of common sense comes in.

I wouldn't touch the beans either as they are swimming in sugar, ditto the pineapple.

Mushrooms (protein) and tomatoes (f) are nutritionally sound choices though. And the banana is under-ripe, so that's much better than dark.

It doesn't matter whether something is protein or carbohydrate.
    The only thing that matters is the micro-nutrients that the foods contain.

But I agree that beans shouldn't be included because the sugar outweighs any goodness the beans might have.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure