MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Comments

• Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,665
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    claire16c wrote: »
    What happens at the 34 week midwife appt? The receptionist said it was a double one when I booked it, I know they do more bloods, from my notes it looks like they may discuss your plans about breast feeding, safe sleeping, support, that type of thing? And possibly birth plan?

I've not had any bloods taken again since the 28 week ones. Also even though my notes say they will talk about all these things they don't. Each appointment has been urine, blood pressure, feel the baby's position, listen to the heartbeat and then ask how I'm doing. Then they give me advice about any issues I'm having and are very nice.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • claire16c wrote: »
    What happens at the 34 week midwife appt? The receptionist said it was a double one when I booked it, I know they do more bloods, from my notes it looks like they may discuss your plans about breast feeding, safe sleeping, support, that type of thing? And possibly birth plan?

Claire my notes say the only appointment they take bloods is your 28 week appointment and my midwife friend also said this, so they shouldn't take any blood at your 34 week appointment, it's probably a double one because of all the stuff they will discuss with you!
    Our first baby due 25th May 2014 :T

Maternity leave fund: £3000/£6000 :T
  • claire16c
    claire16c Posts: 7,074
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ooh I'm hoping I don't have to have a blood test then but I'm sure she said something about them re doing them all because she mentioned my border line anaemia might be gone by the next lot of tests and I have a feeling it says something in the notes - let's hope I get the same as you guys though and no tests! :) won't get my hopes up though.

Lush that's so annoying I remember getting promoted in my old job & the person who took over my role was really bad with the things you mentioned and it drove me nuts as I often had problems if she wasn't there finding stuff etc as she hasn't done stuff properly, or people would still be asking me questions instead of her because they didn't trust her and I didn't have time to be doing 2 jobs!
  • I finish work at the end of the month and they haven't found a replacement as yet! It's all a bit messy as a new structure is kicking in just as I leave so I'll have a new manager but my current one seems very reluctant to let me put a handover together.

I have my 32wk scan today, very excited for it. The babies are starting to feel very heavy and a little uncomfortable so will be relieved to check all's ok and see what positions they're in as I'm getting kicks and bumps all over!

I'm intrigued by these "notes" you all mention, mine have no details of upcoming appointments (other than time). I'm meeting with a MW for the first time tomorrow though that was at my request to discuss birth plan.
  • Just had a thought about maternity pay - I'm guessing we get a different tax code to reflect the fact our earnings drop and therefore we pay less tax each month. Anyone know if this is right? For me my monthly income drops by £600 which is just over half so I'm guessing my tax code would need to change to reflect this as my income for the tax year will be £3000+ lower....

Going to investigate this and ask the finance woman at work today. Another reason to love the fact that baby is due just before the start of the new tax year!!
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • Crabapple
    Crabapple Posts: 1,573 Forumite
    claire16, I was thinking when I read your post that the only reason they might take blood is if they were already concerned about your iron levels. Sorry, they might well want to take some to check the anemia. I'm guessing you are on some sort of supplement so they'll want to check if it is working.

Lushlifesaver - no your tax code won't change. Your tax-free personal allowance stays the same but as you will be earning a lot less (if anything) over it then you won't be paying much if any tax.

Had a rubbish night, so glad I don't have work today! Once I've sorted out what should hopefully be the last bits of washing for baby, I'm off to bed again.
    :heartpuls Daughter born January 2012 :heartpuls Son born February 2014 :heartpuls

Slimming World ~ trying to get back on the wagon...
  • Crabapple
    Crabapple Posts: 1,573 Forumite
    There used to be a tax allowance for children (dunno when it was abolished). My brother was born on the 5th April and my dad got a rebate for the entire year!
    :heartpuls Daughter born January 2012 :heartpuls Son born February 2014 :heartpuls

Slimming World ~ trying to get back on the wagon...
  • Will remind work to do whatever it is they may need to do then as otherwise I'll end up paying half a weeks mat pay a month in tax - they aren't always the most on the ball with tax/pay and any updates can often take a while to work down to accounts/finance so I will go to her direct to check!

Bf is back tonight - looking forward to it although it does mean I have some work to do before he gets back otherwise it will look like I don't bother looking after myself or the house when he's away haha! They were also told yesterday that they were adding an extra day to their camp in March; bf wasn't impressed but my theory was that it's not too bad as its early in the month and I will still be working - if they had moved it to, say, the first week of my mat leave I would be less impressed haha
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,665
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 12 February 2014 at 8:36AM
    Lushlifesaver, unless your current tax code is adjusted in anyway already I don't believe it will need changing. Do you have the standard 9440L, as that means you earn £9,440 a year before paying any tax?

I got sent a new adjusted tax code for the first time time yesterday and I was straight on the phone to the HMRC to tell them to put it back as I no longer receive the income it relates to and my employment income will be halved this year. They agreed to do this and will resend it to my employer. Thinking about it though, usually our monthly income is taxed on the assumption that we will be getting that amount each month for the year. That isn't the case for most of us so I wonder how we change that or apply for a refund?

Edit: I've just looked if up and your employer should balance it out through the payroll once you drop to SMP. Just check you P60 at the end of the year to be sure you've only paid 20% on earnings above £9440 (or more if you managed to enter the 40% tax level of earnings).
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • claire16c wrote: »
    Ooh I'm hoping I don't have to have a blood test then but I'm sure she said something about them re doing them all because she mentioned my border line anaemia might be gone by the next lot of tests and I have a feeling it says something in the notes - let's hope I get the same as you guys though and no tests! :) won't get my hopes up though.
    When I've been anaemic, they've rechecked at around 34 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure