Do you tip in restaurants?

Comments

• Oddjob
    Oddjob Posts: 590
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You could ask the same question about tipping at hairdressers too.
    When I go, I have the owner do my hair. I have never tipped them, I am paying for the service they are giving me by giving them the price they are asking.
    I don't tend to tip in restaurants either, although I might round the bill up. Like others have said, the person should be paid by their employers to do the job, if they did an exceptional job, I would tip them as a thank you. They should do a good job as a norm and shouldn't need to be tipped for just doing their job.
  • I generally tip around 10% based on service received.

Table staff are generally paid minimum wage, work unsociable hours and are on their feet a lot, often having to deal with complaints about the food that they haven't actually cooked so if they give me good service then they deserve it IMO.

Also, from a purely selfish point of view, it makes me feel good to give someone who deserves it a good tip.

I always try to tip in cash where possible. So, even if i'm paying the bill by card, i'll generally leave the tip in cash after paying given some restaurants deplorable practice of skimming charges from staff for tips made by card.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    AndyBSG wrote: »
    Table staff are generally paid minimum wage, work unsociable hours and are on their feet a lot, often having to deal with complaints about the food that they haven't actually cooked so if they give me good service then they deserve it IMO.
    Do you also tip call centre workers (customer service, not sales people)? They are often on minimum wage, with no commission and have to work unsociable hours, plus they get a torrent of abuse from customers.
  • AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    glider3560 wrote: »
    Do you also tip call centre workers (customer service, not sales people)? They are often on minimum wage, with no commission and have to work unsociable hours, plus they get a torrent of abuse from customers.

Exactly how would I tip someone on the other end of a phone?

That said, my attitude to tipping isn't just restricted to restaurant staff if that's what you're getting at.

As a rule i'll generally tip takeaway delivery staff a quid or so, I also tip removal or delivery men at my discretion(obviously not someone just delivering a parcel but if they were delivering something that took a lot of manual effort such as a bed to go up a flight of stairs, etc)

At Christmas my cleaner and postman also get a tip off of me.

No, i'm not rolling in money by any means but after getting made redundant roughly a decade ago and finding myself on the breadline for a couple of years, living in little more than a squat and carrying out pretty much every low paid, soul destroying menial job I could find just to make ends meet I know what it's like.

For me a fiver here or there makes little or no difference to my standard of living but to someone in one of those sort of jobs every few quid can make a difference.
  • d70cw6
    d70cw6 Posts: 784 Forumite
    God no, never tip. !!!! those guys.
  • Depends on the place, I hate it when you have to go to the bar, order food and then when it comes to pay it asks for gratuity.

However I do tend to tip depending on the service.

OCD insists I round it up to the nearest £1 though ;)
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    On holiday (normally one of the Greek islands) then usually. About 10 - 15% with rounding (or whatever change/lower denominations i have on me). I do this because i find the service and food is generally excellent.

In the UK i very rarely tip. In fact havent in the past 12 months at least. The food (even in the expensive places locally) is at best mediocre and the service is typically god awful.

I guess its a value thing with me. In Greece i pay not a lot and get great food and great service. I feel its worth more than my bill. In the UK its expensive but poor quality and i feel its not worth whats on the bill in the first place.
  • kmjamal
    kmjamal Posts: 5 Forumite
    In my opinion one should tip because waiters do not get paid as what you are getting paid in a job (say £6000) But what waiters are getting paid? Its not as high as you are paid. Its everyone opinion if they get good service they tip if not they walkout without the tip.
    Love is Life!
  • Yes if I feel it was worth tipping for.
  • Oddjob
    Oddjob Posts: 590
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    kmjamal wrote: »
    In my opinion one should tip because waiters do not get paid as what you are getting paid in a job (say £6000) But what waiters are getting paid? Its not as high as you are paid. Its everyone opinion if they get good service they tip if not they walkout without the tip.

I do a good job but I probably earn less than they do, no one tips me as usually I am not in a position for anyone to be able to tip me.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback