student loan written off at 60?

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,070 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    er... 1998??

If you started your course in 1998 (i.e. did A Levels in June 1998), then you're on the new system
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • mboro
    mboro Posts: 294 Forumite
    Mikeyorks wrote: »
    ....... you've just become 'permanently unfit to work?' ;)

OMG I just spat tea over my laptop.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::D

sorry, I cant be off any help in this thread but that quote really made my day.:T
  • PinkPig
    PinkPig Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    So basically those who did their degree between 1998 and 2005 got a really cr*p deal!!

Pre-1998 the repayments were fairly horrible, and post-2005 top-up fees came along and so most people have about £2000 a year extra debt! So, all things considered, 1998 to 2005 people aren't doing so badly.
  • I had a pre-1998 loan that i always deferred payment to. have just checked on new online service and it says that loan was repaid in full.
  • andyrules
    andyrules Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    I had a pre-1998 loan that i always deferred payment to. have just checked on new online service and it says that loan was repaid in full.

Are you over 60? Sorry to be cheeky but you sound like you weren't expecting that!

Just to clarify a bit of the link by Martin - for the pre-1998 loans, if you were 39 when you took out your loan but then took a further one out for your next year, then they lump it all together and you wait till you're 60, not 50.
  • andyrules
    andyrules Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    PinkPig wrote: »
    Pre-1998 the repayments were fairly horrible, and post-2005 top-up fees came along and so most people have about £2000 a year extra debt! So, all things considered, 1998 to 2005 people aren't doing so badly.

more like £3-3.5k :(
  • PinkPig
    PinkPig Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    andyrules wrote: »
    more like £3-3.5k :(

The 2005 fees (before "top-up fees") were a fixed rate of £1,175, and top-up fees were introduced as a maximum of £3,000, so the extra isn't as much as that. Impressive thread revival!
  • I took out student loans 1992-1995 I have always been able to defer repayments however, there was one year where due to moving around a lot i was too late to defer and had to pay them some money. How does this affect when my loan is written off?

• papalaz
    papalaz Posts: 120 Forumite
    edited 28 October 2009 at 1:43PM
    Does anyone know the answer to that last query? Im in the same situation, pre 1998 loans, always deferred except for one payment when i was late getting form in. Are they written off after 25yrs? when u reach 50? or 60?
    (i was in my 20's when i took out the loans)
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    As far as I know, arrears and charges aren't written off at the same time as the ordinary loan. Haven't they been chasing you for these?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure