PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2014 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• I would love to join please. I tried this once last year but didn't complete it. I've started a debt free diary as really need to sort my finances. So, very low spend month all round in September.

I'll start on payday fri 29th if that's ok with a budget of £150 for the month. Much less than usual so I'll have to work hard at this, starting with using what I already have!
    January grocery challenge £0/£300

DFW2017 #49 £356/£8031
  • hello everyone,

could i please join you all for September, at the moment im feeding myself and DH but trying to get a good food stock built up for christmas and make two food hampers to help my DD and DS a little too.
    Could you please put me in for £250 for september.

Need to make a meal plan next i think . My month will start on the 1st September to the 29th. I do include all toiletries and cleaning prducts in my monthly budget.
    sealed pot member no :081:o 2011- £306.68 2012-£304.36 2013- £387.44 2014 - £441.43 ;)£482.30 2019 £655.58
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    I'm back in again for the first time in ages please!
    I had a bit of a practice run in August and am now ready to jump back on board.
    There are 4.5 weeks in September and I'm starting a new job on the 1st and won't get paid until around the 20th (a week later than currently) so a real need for economising :(

I'm off on hols today for a week and will do my first shop for Sept on the 31st August as I'm back to work the next day.
    I'm shopping for myself and a greedy little dog and take packed lunches to work so its pretty much all food, toiletries, dog stuff, household bits, cleaning products etc included.

I'm going to try to stick to £120 (and maybe hopefully come in around the £100 mark but don't want to put too much pressure on myself to start with).

Thank you to all that run the thread and contribute!
  • lynsayjane
    lynsayjane Posts: 3,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Hi all,

Please can I join in? It's been a number of years since I really paid attention to spending and saving, I got a significantly better job after treading the DFW path. With no debt and higher income I got a bit too relaxed. Glad to say I'm not in debt (excusing mortgages and student loans) but I do want to start being more penny wise again.
    I've lost the habit of meal planning and shopping listing and can spend as much on myself as some of you do on couples/families, almost four times what I did a month back in the old days!

For September I'd like to budget £100 for food shopping (including cleaning and toiletries). There's only me and no animals so I think if I pay attention this should be manageable!

Thanks and good luck!
    LJ
    x

ETA; payday here is 28th Aug so my September will run from then till 29th Sept.
  • bramalfie
    bramalfie Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm in for the first time. Trying to get the debt under control so trying to watch what we spend elsewhere!!

I have no idea what we spend on groceries at the moment so the budget for this month is going to be a wild stab in the dark and then we can work on reducing it going forward.

There's only 2 of us and a few animals but I'm not including their food in the budget, but toiletries and cleaning stuff is included.

I'm hoping that £50 a week is realistic which will make a monthly budget of £200

Edited to add: Our month runs from 21st to 21st so I started yesterday but not got yesterday's spends to hand.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I'm going to be on holiday for most of September so won't be taking part this month.

Denise
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Nsd today first of many hopefully
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Hi everyone,I really need to bring finances under control, I seem to say this a lot to myself, but as my debt doesnt seem to get any better I really need to take control and start afresh so I thought I would start with the food bill ,it isnt that its miles too high, but I have a lot of food in my stocks which needs using up and I need to menu plan so that Im eating properly and not existing on toast and biccies.

So Im going to set a target of 20.00 a week, my payday is every four weeks and at present its already gone, so it seems easier if I do it weekly.

Well here goes, I will menu plan tomorrow and see how much money I have until next pay day to make sure I can afford 20.00 a week.

Nannyg:)
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• In again for this month....going to reduce by £50 this month though and see how it goes!

So, £250 for me please - my month runs from 1st - 30th September :D
    Mortgage 12.12.12 £55842 12.12.13 £42716 14.12.14 £28837 13.12.15 £25913
    Mortgage OP £50/£600 House Fund £420/£5000
  • Habibiboo
    Habibiboo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    edited 23 August 2014 at 9:29AM
    :wave:

Hello ... after a summer of feeding students as well as ourselves, I need to get back to a realistic budget for two of us (occasionally more if DSDs are staying, but this can change from week to week).

I'd love to join in the challenge with £150 for September please? I'm hoping this will cover our needs for the month as well as getting extras to put by for winter stores etc.

This does include toiletries, cleaning and household bits, but not pet food - I have a separate purse for my hens and hounds!

Stash busting 2014 45 / 60 (balls of yarn)!
    2014 Sealed Pot #2136 ?/£500
    House: Decluttering 322 / 365
    Original mortgage [STRIKE]£149,000[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£117,750[/STRIKE];[STRIKE]£112,500[/STRIKE] MFW 2014#69 GOAL 1: [STRIKE]£109 K April[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 2: [STRIKE]£103 K by Sept[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 3: < £100k by end of 2014 MF goal: Nov 2020 - 4 years early
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure