Supermarket Car Parking Ticket

I went to our local supermarket on Saturday, had a drink and something to eat in the cafe and then looked at the clothes and left.
The store is next to Bolton Wanderers Football club and as they were playing at home on Saturday the parking is restricted to one and a half hours. I know that now but I did not know that then.
I have received a parking ticket for being there for 1.33 hours - £50 or £30 if I pay in 14 days.
I have visited the store and explained things to the duty manager but because I have no receipts I have to pay it.
I am a regular custimer at this store and feel I have been punished because I did not buy anything(except food)
What should I do?
Has this happened to anyone else out there?
Please help!
Bolton

Comments

• firespire
    firespire Posts: 795 Forumite
    I think you will have to accept you broke the rules as you stayed for longer than allowed even if you didn't notice the time regardless if you bought things. Every car park anywhere near me seems to have a waiting time and I always make an effort to find out what if it is a new car park that I haven't used before even in areas that you wouldn't think there would be need to control parking just as I do every time I park on the street - check restrictions. These car parks are managed by outside companies that only make money when they catch people. The duty manager seemed great to try to get you off if you could a produce proof of purchase. I don't mind to much if they keep the car parks free for genuine customers like me and the waiting time is displayed clearly, if they didn't do it you wouldn't have been able to park and do shopping / have meal on a match day. If they caught you at 1h 33m it usually means you had been parked longer as if it is the system where a man goes round on foot they take about 10 minutes to register cars in. I think you will just have to eat your chips/jacket potato quicker next time.
  • davey69_2
    davey69_2 Posts: 41 Forumite
    I would say that the car park is probably not managed by the supermarket so they wont be able to help!? To be honest with you, I once got a ticket in a supermarket car park, and I just ignored it!! It is not from the council, and the cost of these private companies taking you to court for the ticket would be more than the ticket is worth so I think they are chancers a little bit and rely on people who get the ticket and just pay up!? But of course it is a bit of a risk :confused:
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If they have cctv,and you presumably know the time,their cameras should show you entering and exiting.Presumably you were in the store for 1 and a half hours though?

If the store was prepared to let you off with proof of receipt,they no doubt will let you off with proof of being there .Problem solved.
  • rosysparkle
    rosysparkle Posts: 916
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have a look on the parking forum of consumeractiongroup.com website.

From what you say you can ignore the ticket as no contract was formed, but there are some very knowledgeable people there who will be able to tell you for sure.
  • dounome
    dounome Posts: 355 Forumite
    I would refuse to pay it, but im just pig headed and dont think they have a right to issue tickets in store carparks. They should spend more time chasing able bodied people who park on disabled bays and skip into the store.
  • Horasio
    Horasio Posts: 6,676
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Another moneyspinner designed to annoy us in everyday life.

Boycott the place and go somewhere that doesn't have petty parking rules
    An average day in my life:hello: :eek::mad: :coffee::coffee::coffee::T :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :p :eek::mad: :beer:
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    CCStar wrote: »
    Another moneyspinner designed to annoy us in everyday life.

Boycott the place and go somewhere that doesn't have petty parking rules

I disagree. The OP has already stated that the car park is next to a football ground. If there were no parking restrictions in place the car park would be full to bursting with football fans cars. Ergo, there would be no room for genuine shoppers to park.

If there are signs clearly visible then unfortunately the OP will have to pay up and learn a valuable lesson. It is a shame the OP did not keep the receipt from the food they ate in the store.
  • blondie7
    blondie7 Posts: 377 Forumite
    I personally think if the supermarket has a restaurant and you eat there and then you browse the clothes isles and then you do your shopping this can take more than 1 1\2 hours so I do think the store can do something if they are wanting you to use their facilities if they cant do anything then why have all these things in store. I would go back and see the store manager and point the above out to him.
  • TITEASCRAMP
    TITEASCRAMP Posts: 1,744 Forumite
    Who has issued the ticket Asda or Bolton MBC? or where you on tesco's
  • firespire
    firespire Posts: 795 Forumite
    Have a look on the parking forum of consumeractiongroup.com website.

From what you say you can ignore the ticket as no contract was formed, but there are some very knowledgeable people there who will be able to tell you for sure.

I can't believe 'no contract was formed' can work, surely a car park looks nothing like the public highway you would be stupid to to not realise someone owned the car park and their rules you have to follow. There is a car park near me where you can stay 30 mins free, 1 hour is £2 or something etc., I can't believe anyone can stay longer after the 30 min free period and claim 'no contract was formed' for them to avoid paying the charges levied for staying after the free period. I can see this working on a bit of land near a highway that looks like it could be part of the highway and isn't clear but surprised it applied in car park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure