PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Anyone here vegan?

Comments

• lovelovinghorses
    lovelovinghorses Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 October 2017 at 11:03PM
    Very happy Vegan here, nearly 10 years :) And I am a Coeliac to.
  • My step-daughter was vegan for quite a few years. We supported her in this choice, but we worried that she wasn't getting all the vitamins and minerals that she needed (especially as she was pregnant/breastfeeding for part of this time).

I was also worried that I would give her something non-vegan by accident. Who knew pesto was off limits!! There are a lot of hidden animal products - chip shops normally cook in veg oil but occasionally we would come across one that used traditional beef dripping for example.

We ate a lot of jacket potatoes...
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • debtfreeforlife
    debtfreeforlife Posts: 215 Forumite
    edited 28 September 2017 at 10:47PM
    I'm vegan most of the time - vegetarian when I'm staying away from home and someone else is doing the cooking for me. My brother-in-law is gluten-free and accommodating both of us is just impossible! I eat a mostly whole food diet with some replacement foods - I love Alpro Go Ahead and use the almond milks. I'm going to try and make my own almond milk at some point soon though...

Cheese isn't an issue for me. Partly because I hate the dairy industry practices that result in cheese, partly because I'm slightly dairy intolerant anyway so lots of cheese isn't great for me anyway, and partly because I just feel much healthier without it.

Dandy-candy - I would say do what you feel is best for you. How about trying to switch just one thing? Maybe every now and again other than buying cow's milk, you buy rice milk/almond milk/soy milk. You might find the switch easier than you think. I didn't find dropping dairy from my ceral/tea difficult at all, and I didn't find it hard to stop eating eggs. The hard thing about veganism is that you then miss out on all of the processed foods that have milk/eggs in! But it doesn't need to be all or nothing. Transitioning slowly was key for me.
  • Thank you for all the replies :)

I absolutely agree about the aggressive stance being off putting, I've looked into veganism a couple of times in the past 20 years and could never get through the website/literature because it was so vitriolic that I just stopped reading. Now that it's more mainstream I have found there are actually lots of helpful friendly websites.

I did a beekeeping course a few years back and would love to keep my own at some point, until then I buy my honey from one of the course teachers who leaves plenty for the bees. It didn't make any sense to me that people take it and then feed the bees sugar water, especially as honey is more than food, its medicine too.

I'm lucky being in London as there's lots of choices to explore, I still need to decide what to do about b12. I've seen vegan supplements but I assume they are synthetic? I eat organic eggs at the moment and part of me does prefer the idea of keeping to natural sources but I don't think there is a vegan natural one?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I did a beekeeping course a few years back and would love to keep my own at some point, until then I buy my honey from one of the course teachers who leaves plenty for the bees. It didn't make any sense to me that people take it and then feed the bees sugar water, especially as honey is more than food, its medicine too.

If you fancy beekeeping, learn about Warre and Top Bar hives and natural beekeeping.
  • I am transitioning. I gave up eggs no problem. I use almond milk in drinks. Cheese is more of an issue, though vegan cheeses are getting better than they were.
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My son and I have made the change now, we're on day 3 and it's been fine so far. I've bought a milk that's coconut and rice and it's the nicest one we've tried.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Considering you are Vegans, what are your moral views on killing plants to live?
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Animals eat way more plant matter to convert to muscle tissue for humans to consume :(
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    robin58 wrote: »
    Considering you are Vegans, what are your moral views on killing plants to live?

I don't think here is the place for that discussion. If you want to start a thread on it I'd head over to the Moneysavers Arms :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure