Experiencing my first mini dip as a new(ish) investor

Comments

• talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    After over 25 years of investing in Peps and ISAs, this is not a mini dip - it's just normal noise. If that worries you get into defensive funds to limit falls. To me a dip is between 10 and 20% which recovers relatively quickly, a crash is beyond 20% and may take a few years to recover, just keep reinvesting those dividends.
  • talexuser wrote: »
    After over 25 years of investing in Peps and ISAs, this is not a mini dip - it's just normal noise. If that worries you get into defensive funds to limit falls. To me a dip is between 10 and 20% which recovers relatively quickly, a crash is beyond 20% and may take a few years to recover, just keep reinvesting those dividends.

Yes, just relax. And be careful what you wish for...

...in those rare and fleeting periods of stability and nice, normal market growth, people soon start grumbling about a "worrying lack of volatility". When the volatility index is nice and quiet, it's "a sure sign" that something terrible is "highly likely" to happen, completely unforseen. Out of the woodwork come the book-selling doom-mongers, handwringers and panic merchants, and everything starts to get wobbly all over again.

So we just sit quietly to one side, and carry on as normal.
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It is worth noting that one of the reasons endowments went on to fail is that the 90s actually had very low levels of volatility. The growth was generally quite steady but then followed by two major crashes double the size of the typical crash.

The lack of early to mid-term volatility meant that regular contributions were not benefiting from being bought at lower prices. So, when the crash did come, it was bigger and hit those with regular contributions harder.

Volatility is needed for investment returns to be higher. Stability can be more damaging than good.

If you consider the activity of the last few days to be a dip, I would be more concerned about whether you are investing within your risk profile. Because when a real blip comes, it will be more than the last few days.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Jeems wrote: »
    The numbers are very red and lots of minus signs but I dont feel concerned. I'm still up this year (just about).

But wow, does the strengthening of the £ and the potential interest rate rise really affect share prices that much? Will things settle down? When the £ was strong and interests rates at 5%+, I imagine share prices didnt tumble daily. How did the market react then?

What can I expect in the near future with continued £/interest rate rises?
    Hi...I'm not sure how long 'new(ish) investor' implies but, if I had only recently started my investment journey then I would be hoping of lots of market weakness / retraces / crashes / stagnation for years to come; that way I can build a larger holding in investments before a hopeful more sustained run.

So, whilst it's not enjoyable seeing red and minus signs, If you are a new(ish) investor embrace the retrace :rotfl:
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • A few things:

Interest rates up, equities down and fixed interest takes a bath.

Perhaps look at VIX - CBOE to better understand volatility vs events http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/index/vix

Peak to trough of +/- 10% is not unusual, perhaps not watching fund portfolio performance too often will help avoid overreaction and stomach ulcers.
  • chiang_mai wrote: »
    A few things:

Interest rates up, equities down and fixed interest takes a bath.

Sometimes, I really wish that people didn't use idioms.
    (idiomatic) To lose a large amount of money in an investment. Shareholders took a bath when the company went bankrupt.
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£4212.06 / £10k) (42.12%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)
    Save £12k in 2014 #192 (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
  • TrustyOven wrote: »

Do you disagree that fixed-income investors have the potential to lose money as interest rates rise?
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 September 2017 at 2:31PM
    A diverse portfolio can dampen volatility. That's why you should have cash, stocks, bonds, property etc. If you can't deal with a 20% drop in the stock market every 5 years then you will be in for high blood pressure and white hair. Choosing a suitable asset allocation can reduce the volatility of stocks and also allows you to rebalance. This gives you something to do in troubled times rather than dwelling on falling prices and panic selling.

If you are retired and in drawdown a 20% fall in your portfolio could be dangerous if it occurs early in retirement. So there needs to be a plan for that scenario and it's obviously why annuities were once the default way to fund retirement.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    TrustyOven wrote: »

Why do you wish this?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    A_T wrote: »
    TrustyOven wrote: »

Why do you wish this?
    Presumably because using them to explain the reason for, or projected impact of, an economic or market event to people who aren't familiar with the movement of markets or the effect that's being described, will have to go look it up (an idiom being something with a meaning not determinable from the individual words used).

For example if something 'takes a bath' is that a good thing because it becomes the cleanest and most desirable thing in the room and everyone is impressed by its performance more than the dirty tired things around it, or a bad thing because it looks like it's going to drown? The latter of course.

If a fund or market index is 'tanking' or 'in the tank' does that mean it is powering along so strong that it'll ride roughshod over its rivals and knock you out with its performance like a WW2 behemoth? Or does it mean it is in the process of diving into a big tank of water in the manner of a circus clown? The latter of course.

If your equity or sector of choice is going gangbusters is that just as negative for its performance as it was for the criminal underworld gangs getting busted? Or does it mean it's loud, and packed with great initial excitement, speeding forward with great and immediate success, just like the 60-80-years-ago US 'Gang Busters' radio show used to open with a blaze of sound effects and great vigour. The latter of course.

One might say it would help communication if we didn't allow people to use idioms, though that would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater in terms of any goal to retain a high quality of discussion (ok, that's more of a metaphor than an idiom...)

Ahem, back on thread :)

In terms of the economics of an interest rate rise and its basic interplay with currency: prospective increased rates being offered create international demand for pounds and that 'supply and demand' effect increases the cost of pounds measured in other currencies. Or looked at the other way round it strengthens the buying power of sterling relative to other currencies and each [foreign currency unit] is worth fewer pounds. Unfortunately it means that if your portfolio gives high exposure to international assets and revenue streams denominated in those [foreign currency units] (non-pounds), those non-pounds will be "worth" fewer pounds when you translate their market value back to pounds (the currency you want to eventually spend).

That's one reason why many people building their assets to live and retire in the UK would choose to have more than 10% exposure to UK, unlike the OP who prefers less.

On the bonds side of things, if you have long-dated government bonds which are paying out a fixed amound of pounds per year in interest rate, and the world is in a period of ultra-low interest rates, those long dated safe bonds will be very valuable and people will pay quite a bit more than the 'face value' at time of issue, to buy them on the bond market now.

But when QE is withdrawn and / or interest rates rise, there is a drop in demand for those bonds - nobody wants to pay the previous highly inflated price of £300 for a bond paying £2 a year interest for the next 40 years, when they could just go out and buy a new bond paying £2 a year interest over the same timescale which only costs them £100; or alternatively put their money in an AA rated bank for 3% interest. Hence a drop in value of certain bonds and bond funds (some more than others depending on the duration and credit quality).

And finally some other factors at play if/when the interest rates go up:

a) it is harder for companies to borrow money from banks or money markets to get hold of cheap cash to pursue their long-term investment objectives which woukld have helped them grow their business or defend their market position, so it stifles corporate performance by increasing their expenses or limiting their investment power - not good for the market value of the company ;

b) likewise the higher cost of consumer credit (credit cards and loans and overdrafts) and greater expenditure on fixed monthly costs such as mortgage interest, means people have less money in their pocket to buy goods and services from companies and so the company's prospective income stream (and thus its market value) is suppressed;

c) generally if investors can get higher fixed returns from bonds or bank interest they will not want to pay as much for variable returns from dividend-paying or variable equity-based returns, reducing demand for company equities with a consequential reduction in market price for those equities.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure