The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Kefir making as alternative to yoghurt making.

Comments

• maering
    maering Posts: 25 Forumite
    >As I have joined the yahoo thingy

Suggest you ask there !

Yes semiskimmed will work

Mel
  • patcat
    patcat Posts: 92 Forumite
    I use skimmed milk, comes out fine.
  • nikibella
    nikibella Posts: 227 Forumite
    Hi
    I make kefir like yogurt, using a couple of tablespoons from a glass of storebought kefir stirred in half a liter of milk and it turns out well.
    I also succeeded in making bread using just kefir instead of (water and) yeast and it rose well, exactly like when you use yeast.
  • MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    nikibella, you say "storebought" kefir. Where did you buy it please?
    I have just found this thread and really want to start making kefir, it sounds great. If I can buy some nearby then I can start quicker - tomorrow even.
    I am so impatient lol.
    MrsB

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • nikibella
    nikibella Posts: 227 Forumite
    I'm sorry, I don't live in the UK so I can't be of any help to you.
    I bought it in an organic food shop in Italy where I live (also here it's very rare to find, in fact) Try to visit your local health food store, may be they have it.
  • MrsBartolozzi
    Forumite
    thanks for replying Nikibella,
    :( that you are not nearby, but I will try my local health shop.

It's only a game
  • dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    nikibella, you say "storebought" kefir. Where did you buy it please?
    I have just found this thread and really want to start making kefir, it sounds great. If I can buy some nearby then I can start quicker - tomorrow even.
    I am so impatient lol.
    MrsB

Hi Mrs B

The store bought Kefir is not regenerative - you can't propagate from it. You need real Kefir.

Why not join the Fermented Foods Yahoo group? Someone there will be happy to provide you with some Kefir. Most people prefer you to collect it so it stays in good condition, but some will post it for the price of the postage. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Fermented-foods-UK/?yguid=277703364

Failing that, a guy called Dom in Australia provides really high quality stuff, and his website is a goldmine of information - almost too much! http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html#obtaining-kefir-grains

Unfortunaletly, it's against the rules for anyone to offer anything on monesysavingexpert, even for free, otherwise I expect someone would have been along to offer to share already.

Kefir is excellent!
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It really does sound interesting stuff ~ next on list to try.
  • If there's a Russian shop anywhere near you Mrs B you might be able to get hold of it, you can buy cartons of kefir everywhere in Russia (my flatmate loved it when I lived in St Petersburg, and was hardly ever seen without a carton of the stuff, also been to Siberia and literally every shop sold it even there) so they might import it? Enjoy!
    2007 Bronze Olympic Challenge: Total £1057.34 :j
    DFW Nerd 269: Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts
  • MrsBartolozzi
    Forumite
    No Dundee is not quite cosmopolitan enough for that lol - although many shops sell Polish food as there are a lot of Poles about here. Maybe I can have a closer look...

I have applied to join the yahoo group but have had no reply yet :(

It's only a game
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills