Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• PaulF81
    PaulF81 Posts: 1,727 Forumite
    Options
    we have done pretty well out of sticking to variable with a 2000 litre tank. we used less than 30% (600 litres) for hotwaterband ch Over the winter period. played the market pretty well, I reckon with falling prices we have price per kwh less than comparable oil contracts. Plus, gas hob!
  • alexjj
    alexjj Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Recently moved to Avantigas from Calor. In Angus, Scotland, price is 39.4 p/l for first 6 months then 41.4 p/l for next 6 months. £32 per year standing charge.

Great prices compared to Calor but customer services seem slow and the online account functionality is circa 1997 websites.

I initially overestimated the amount of gas I'd use when setting up my account with them, ending up with a direct debit about £100 more than my Calor (priced at 50 p/l). After studying my Calor bills I had an accurate usage number to tell Avantigas but getting them to change my direct debit amount seems to be more complex than solving the Euro crisis. Two months later, after paying out ridiculous amounts they are still not willing to change my direct debit.

I provided them with my annual estimate - usage from January to December. That was 3000 litres. They didn't believe me - virtually said I was wrong!! So I list each date and volume that was offloaded. They say if I do a rolling year it's 4500 l (hence proving I was wrong). Oh I'm sorry I didn't realise when you said year you meant 12 months after an arbitrary point during the year...

They want to do a year (half of my contract!) of manual payments first before going onto their top up system.

Plus when you phone it's not customer services who deal with direct debit amounts but the credit management team, but no-one answers, I leave a voicemail and no-one calls back.

It'll get sorted out eventually and the lower price makes up for it, but Calor was certainly a lot more customer friendly!
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 May 2012 at 11:12AM
    Options
    sk240 wrote: »

Hi sk240,
    I see you were trying to set up a Flogas users' group on Facebook. There's already a group called Flogas Sufferers (here) - though it doesn't have too many members. And maybe is not what you want!

AND Flogas itself is on FB - so you can 'like' them! Or post a comment. See here.

People might also like to see a write-up about the people on a North Devon estate who got Dominic Littlewood off the telly ("Don't Get Done, Get Dom") - referred to on the forum a few times - to help get their very different Flogas prices down. See http://www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk/BBC-s-Dom-helps-Winkleigh-campaigners/story-12153047-detail/story.html

Briefly, according to the write-up from January 2010, different users, on the same metered estate, were paying from 35-47 ppl, with surcharges from 2-8.9 ppl, and standing charges from 12-18p. The programme was repeated earlier this year.
  • sk240
    sk240 Posts: 474 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 31 May 2012 at 8:26AM
    Options
    Hi sk240,
    I see you were trying to set up a Flogas users' group on Facebook. There's already a group called Flogas Sufferers (here) - though it doesn't have too many members. And maybe is not what you want!

AND Flogas itself is on FB - so you can 'like' them! Or post a comment. See here.

People might also like to see a write-up about the people on a North Devon estate who got Dominic Littlewood off the telly ("Don't Get Done, Get Dom") - referred to on the forum a few times - to help get their very different Flogas prices down. See http://www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk/BBC-s-Dom-helps-Winkleigh-campaigners/story-12153047-detail/story.html

Briefly, according to the write-up from January 2010, different users, on the same metered estate, were paying from 35-47 ppl, with surcharges from 2-8.9 ppl, and standing charges from 12-18p. The programme was repeated earlier this year.

Yeah i saw the flogas sufferers one, but as you say it wasn't really what i was after.
    It does appear that although everyone moans on here about them, they are reluctant to comment or do anything about it.
    With all of the recent news about facebook being a good place to get customer service, i thought it was worth a try.
    I have successfully got a small discount on our estate, but where one man is weak a group is strong, the group just don't seem to want to join.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/306046739474473/
  • fleurh
    fleurh Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    (Re-posting to the sticky Bulk LPG thread)
    Hi everyone

When we moved into our house in Feb 2010, we became LPG users for the first time. In all innocence I signed up to the 2-year contract Calor offered. 2 years and a new, £6,000 central heating system later, we are mercifully out of contract. I have been shocked by how expensive LPG is, and particularly how Calor seem to have carte blanche to raise fuel prices, while contractually tying you into onerous penalty fees that make it financially non-viable to break your contract early. At one point I contacted Countrywide following a visit to this forum, and was told that yes, they could offer a price about 15p cheaper than Calor, but I would have to wait until I was out of contract.

When that day came (Feb 2012), I contacted Countrywide to complete the switch. However, we now received more bad news - apparently our tanks contravene buildings regs [Approved Document J [5:13]], and so no other supplier will take us on until the issues with the tanks are rectified. When I contacted Calor, they offered to sort out the tanks for £100, but I would have to sign up to a further 2 year contract. This is exactly what I was trying to avoid.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do next? I've written to Calor pointing out that the tank maintenance was their responsibility, and that therefore I should not be required to sign a new contract or pay anything to get the maintenance done - but so far have had no reply. I also took it up with the surveyor (we got a full house-buyers survey - no mention made of tanks contravening building regs) - so far they are giving me the brush-off, but I will keep pushing here also. I am continuing to pursue Calor for a response, but it feels like I need an Ombudsman or other regulatory body behind me before they will take any notice. Can I sue them for non-maintenance of the tanks??

Any and all help much appreciated.
  • bry54
    bry54 Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    See Little Vermin's post 1398 made on 13/4/12.

I'm in a similar situation as yourself , but now changing from Countrywide to Calor.
  • crazyz
    crazyz Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    You don,t say what is the matter with the tank, but I would say £100 to fix is not the true cost to them, maintenance charges are only for the tank they are not for any siting issues, but obviously they are asking you to sign a contract to claw back the money spent on the re-site.

They have to continue supplying you to in or out of a contract, why not ask another company, although they can not take it on its current location it sounds like it is fixable so maybe they would move it free of charge (civils done to yourself) to gain your business, the saving you achieve will probably cover your civil costs in the first year, this will make you free to move anywhere in 2 years time.

Maybe a switching document from another may influence their decision? they probably do not want to loose your custom

fleurh wrote: »
    (Re-posting to the sticky Bulk LPG thread)
    Hi everyone

When we moved into our house in Feb 2010, we became LPG users for the first time. In all innocence I signed up to the 2-year contract Calor offered. 2 years and a new, £6,000 central heating system later, we are mercifully out of contract. I have been shocked by how expensive LPG is, and particularly how Calor seem to have carte blanche to raise fuel prices, while contractually tying you into onerous penalty fees that make it financially non-viable to break your contract early. At one point I contacted Countrywide following a visit to this forum, and was told that yes, they could offer a price about 15p cheaper than Calor, but I would have to wait until I was out of contract.

When that day came (Feb 2012), I contacted Countrywide to complete the switch. However, we now received more bad news - apparently our tanks contravene buildings regs [Approved Document J [5:13]], and so no other supplier will take us on until the issues with the tanks are rectified. When I contacted Calor, they offered to sort out the tanks for £100, but I would have to sign up to a further 2 year contract. This is exactly what I was trying to avoid.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do next? I've written to Calor pointing out that the tank maintenance was their responsibility, and that therefore I should not be required to sign a new contract or pay anything to get the maintenance done - but so far have had no reply. I also took it up with the surveyor (we got a full house-buyers survey - no mention made of tanks contravening building regs) - so far they are giving me the brush-off, but I will keep pushing here also. I am continuing to pursue Calor for a response, but it feels like I need an Ombudsman or other regulatory body behind me before they will take any notice. Can I sue them for non-maintenance of the tanks??

Any and all help much appreciated.
  • fleurh
    fleurh Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hi crazyz

The issues raised by Countrywide when they surveyed our tanks were:
    1) safety cut-off valves corroded, no longer working
    2) service pipe metal, building regs require plastic
    3) position of tanks too close to property boundary, wooden fence, and over-hanging leylandii hedges

As Countrywide are unwilling to discuss taking our account over until the tank issues have been fixed, I assumed that other suppliers would react the same way, however perhaps it would be worth contracting a few to see if they're willing to do a deal including replacing the tanks.

Following other advice on this thread, i've emailed Sharon at the OFT so she has a record. Citizens Advice recommend sending a breach of trust letter to Calor, as the contact stated their duty was to maintain the tanks without requiring us to sign a contact extension to guarantee that maintenance.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else took the breach of trust route, did you have any success?

Cheers
    Fleurh
  • crazyz
    crazyz Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Of your problems the first one they should fix, as this is a safety issue and if there was an emergency at your property and they we unable to turn of the gas this would be a problem.

Point 2 metal pipework the HSSE have brought in a ruling that all metal pipework must be changed, this is why Countrywide wont take it on but if you are moving the tank then this can be done at the same time, pipework is easy to fix.

The main problem is too near the boundary, the regulations state that it must be 3m from the boundary, although this can be reduced by a fire wall one meter from the vessel , but if you do this the fence and hedges must be removed, or maybe you can extend the base and move it away from the boundary, there are options but will need some civil works which I am afraid is at your cost.

There are options of screening, or maybe when you move it go to an underground tank, but this would not be free as most companies charge for an underground tank

I would explore other suppliers as it does not cost you anything for them to come out
    fleurh wrote: »
    Hi crazyz

The issues raised by Countrywide when they surveyed our tanks were:
    1) safety cut-off valves corroded, no longer working
    2) service pipe metal, building regs require plastic
    3) position of tanks too close to property boundary, wooden fence, and over-hanging leylandii hedges

As Countrywide are unwilling to discuss taking our account over until the tank issues have been fixed, I assumed that other suppliers would react the same way, however perhaps it would be worth contracting a few to see if they're willing to do a deal including replacing the tanks.

Following other advice on this thread, i've emailed Sharon at the OFT so she has a record. Citizens Advice recommend sending a breach of trust letter to Calor, as the contact stated their duty was to maintain the tanks without requiring us to sign a contact extension to guarantee that maintenance.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else took the breach of trust route, did you have any success?

Cheers
    Fleurh
  • alfa*alien
    Options
    Hi all,

I moved into a property last week with a bulk LPG gas bottle in the garden (completely new to me). The previous owners used flow gas. I went onto uklpg.org and put in my post code and found 3 suppliers in my catchment. FLOGAS, CALOR and AVANTI GAS.

Flo gas wanted a standing charge of £115 then lowered to £84 and wanted 49.9 protected for 6 months with no price protection therefter. Oh this is without VAT!!!! They would not negotiate on the ppl!?!:eek:

Calor Well, i didn't even entertain them!

Avanti Gas proved a totally different kettle of fish. £63 standing charge with 43.9ppl for 12 months then after ensure it will not rise more that 5ppl on any 6 months. All this includes VAT oh and deliveries included. Guess I'll be going the Avanti route then.:j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback