NZ Car Hire Insurance CDW and SLI cover?

I have booked a hire car for a 4 week trip to NZ and not opted for the hire company's insurance with a view to book my own through Money Maxim as recommended by MSE.

I'm a bit confused as to whether I need CDW and SLI as in the T&Cs of the hire car company http://www.ezicarrental.co.nz/terms-and-conditions it states the following All rentals are covered under this policy but carry an excess liability of between NZ$2,000 – NZ$3,500 depending on the category of vehicle rented. We provide customers the option to purchase optional excess reduction products to either reduce the excess liability to between $250-$350 or to waive it entirely (to $NIL). These options and excess liabilities are presented in full through the booking process.

Do to the length of time that we have the car for Money Maxim comes back with mostly annual policies that have worldwide CDW anyway, I'm not sure about the SLI cover though, can someone advise please?

Comments

• SLI is not a requirement in New Zealand.
    Do be careful with car rental in New Zealand. Some people plump for an older car in order to save money, only to find that cars older than ten years aren't covered by car hire excess insurance policies.
    Perhaps some more detail on what you are getting, paying and from where picking up and dropping off.
  • TRBob
    TRBob Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the info, it's a 0 - 1 year old Toyota Corolla, pick up in Christchurch drop off at Auckland, $1300 NZD for just under 4 weeks and ferry ticket for the car and 2 adults.
  • TRBob wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, it's a 0 - 1 year old Toyota Corolla, pick up in Christchurch drop off at Auckland, $1300 NZD for just under 4 weeks and ferry ticket for the car and 2 adults.

Looks ok. As long as you are happy with that.

Don't skimp on the insurance.

http://www.insurance4carhire.com/worldwide-car-hire-excess-insurance are well established.
    https://www.quidco.com/insurance4carhire-com 25% rebate via Quidco.
    £37.50 for an annual policy with a reliable company is good value.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Do you have personal injury insurance? If you are seriously injured in New Zealand through an accident not your fault you can not sue for compensation,
  • TRBob
    TRBob Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you AlwaysHere I will have a look at that.

Thanks for the info comeandgo, my wife and I have a Debenhams annual travel insurance gold policy which has the following;

Personal Accident - Cover up to / Excess
    Permanent Total Disablement £20,000 Nil
    Loss of Limb(s)/Eye(s) £20,000 Nil
    Death £20,000 Nil
    Personal Liability £2,000,000 £150
    Legal Expenses £15,000 £150
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income