Using Credit Card to pay off chunk of mortgage

Options
Hi all,

As the title suggests, taking advantage of credit cards balance transfer offers to pay off a chunk of mortgage and duck the interest on it - anybody ever done this, have any advice, pros, cons, pitfalls?

I've a clean MBNA credit card with a 15.5k limit, Im thinking of paying a chunk of this from my mortgage. Would there be financial penalties if I used the card to pay money to a financial institution like when you withdraw money (or would the bank even accept a card payment)

Any advice on the best card to transfer to, obviously the longer the period, lower the % transfer fee, and how much they would give me are the three main points to consider for this, I've got a very good credit rating with no other loans, card debt or other finance apart from the mortgage. I was thinking about Halifax but their offers are for new customers and I already have a Halifax card (nothing on it) and wondered if I could complain as a loyal customer etc etc and maybe could get the terms of the offer, also could offer to open a bank account with them as leverage.

And does anyone know what kind of percentage monthly min fee I would be looking at?

Any other advice please go ahead, even if it's don't do it :-)

Thanks

Comments

• chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Options
    only you can answer that question, too many factors.
    credit card rate and if 0% then for how long and what do you do when that ends.?
    Mortgage rate?
    any transfer fees and if so how much?
    Min repayment on CC?
    Over what period of time?
    How the reduction would affect your mortgage term/mortgage repayments?
    can you afford both payments?

without the facts its impossible to comment but gut reaction says that longer term it will be hard to beat your mortgage rate for credit.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd be highly surprised if your mortgage provider would accept credit card payments. Even if they did, it would likely be classed as a cash advance, so you'd pay interest on it from day 1.

What may be a possibility would be to get a Money Transfer card, use that to deposit money into your bank account, then pay that towards your mortgage. Just do the sums to see if the Balance Transfer fee would make it worthwhile. And obviously, make sure you pay it off in full just before the promotional period ends.
  • stoopyftm
    Options
    chappers wrote: »
    only you can answer that question, too many factors.
    credit card rate and if 0% then for how long and what do you do when that ends.?
    Mortgage rate?
    any transfer fees and if so how much?
    Min repayment on CC?
    Over what period of time?
    How the reduction would affect your mortgage term/mortgage repayments?
    can you afford both payments?

without the facts its impossible to comment but gut reaction says that longer term it will be hard to beat your mortgage rate for credit.

Yeah, I understand this, but paying anything off at 0% interest is going to be cheaper than my mortgage whether its reduced term or reduced payments, in the long run. The repayments would be over the length of the card 'offer' usually min 2 years IIRC then anything left transfer to another card

And as long as the repayments aren't more than around £500 pm I can probably afford it, or have the means to take on another couple of shifts if Im struggling.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    stoopyftm wrote: »
    Yeah, I understand this, but paying anything off at 0% interest is going to be cheaper than my mortgage whether its reduced term or reduced payments, in the long run. The repayments would be over the length of the card 'offer' usually min 2 years IIRC then anything left transfer to another card

And as long as the repayments aren't more than around £500 pm I can probably afford it, or have the means to take on another couple of shifts if Im struggling.

All sounds like a bad idea to me. A lot of "probably maybes" in there !
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

As the title suggests, taking advantage of credit cards balance transfer offers to pay off a chunk of mortgage and duck the interest on it - anybody ever done this, have any advice, pros, cons, pitfalls?

I've a clean MBNA credit card with a 15.5k limit, Im thinking of paying a chunk of this from my mortgage. Would there be financial penalties if I used the card to pay money to a financial institution like when you withdraw money (or would the bank even accept a card payment)

Any advice on the best card to transfer to, obviously the longer the period, lower the % transfer fee, and how much they would give me are the three main points to consider for this, I've got a very good credit rating with no other loans, card debt or other finance apart from the mortgage. I was thinking about Halifax but their offers are for new customers and I already have a Halifax card (nothing on it) and wondered if I could complain as a loyal customer etc etc and maybe could get the terms of the offer, also could offer to open a bank account with them as leverage.

And does anyone know what kind of percentage monthly min fee I would be looking at?

Any other advice please go ahead, even if it's don't do it :-)

Thanks

I do this as part of my stoozing efforts. I have a flexible mortgage so I can always pay the card off at the end of the 0% period if I can't transfer it to another 0% deal. It needs to be a 0% Money Transfer offer, not a balance transfer offer, and they usually have a fee. You need to do the maths to see if the MT fee is less than the mortgage rate you are paying.

The percentage monthly fee depends on the card - some are 1%, some 2%, some 2.5%
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was thinking about Halifax but their offers are for new customers and I already have a Halifax card (nothing on it) and wondered if I could complain as a loyal customer etc etc and maybe could get the terms of the offer, also could offer to open a bank account with them as leverage.

I highly doubt that this would be successful. If you don't use the card or pay it in full every month, you're actually costing them money (in terms of the admin to maintain the account) so you don't really have leverage. Opening a bank account is unlikely to change that either unless you had the account with a high balance for some time, but even then...

It's a bit like me complaining to TSB that I no longer get the contactless cashback as I have had the account for a few years now. I didn't waste my time, I just opened a new account with another bank. You'd be as well just taking out a new card with a different provider.
  • stoopyftm
    Options
    I'd be highly surprised if your mortgage provider would accept credit card payments. Even if they did, it would likely be classed as a cash advance, so you'd pay interest on it from day 1.

What may be a possibility would be to get a Money Transfer card, use that to deposit money into your bank account, then pay that towards your mortgage. Just do the sums to see if the Balance Transfer fee would make it worthwhile. And obviously, make sure you pay it off in full just before the promotional period ends.

Yeah, thanks, that's not an option I thought of.
  • stoopyftm
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    All sounds like a bad idea to me. A lot of "probably maybes" in there !

Fair enough I understand that it's not something to be entered into lightly, I work in finance so Ive worked through everything from my end to see if it's feasible, and barring some maybes beyond my control like redundancy etc Im confident I can handle repayments etc.

I was looking more for advice by anyone whos tried this and recommendations on cards etc or where to or not to look.
  • stoopyftm
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    I do this as part of my stoozing efforts. I have a flexible mortgage so I can always pay the card off at the end of the 0% period if I can't transfer it to another 0% deal. It needs to be a 0% Money Transfer offer, not a balance transfer offer, and they usually have a fee. You need to do the maths to see if the MT fee is less than the mortgage rate you are paying.

The percentage monthly fee depends on the card - some are 1%, some 2%, some 2.5%

This is great advice, thank you very much
  • stoopyftm
    Options
    Don80 wrote: »
    I highly doubt that this would be successful. If you don't use the card or pay it in full every month, you're actually costing them money (in terms of the admin to maintain the account) so you don't really have leverage. Opening a bank account is unlikely to change that either unless you had the account with a high balance for some time, but even then...

It's a bit like me complaining to TSB that I no longer get the contactless cashback as I have had the account for a few years now. I didn't waste my time, I just opened a new account with another bank. You'd be as well just taking out a new card with a different provider.

Right, I understand thanks. Sounds like Im barking up the wrong tree and money transfer card is the best bet
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure