DPF Regen ??

Comments

• MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    That regen method wont work if its clogged with ash rather than soot. If it was soot your car should regen itself with the sort of driving you do. The best way is to have it off the car and flushed. That will remove soot and ash.
  • kram
    kram Posts: 136 Forumite
    A regen may work for a bit but there are companies who will clean & refurb it professionally you take it off & send by courier to them.

I would definately look at other options as it can turn into an expensive hobby if it aint done right to begin with & then you end up going back to the garage again.

I hope you get it sorted.
  • verityboo
    verityboo Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    If the dpf is full of ash you need to send it to a company like this to be properly cleaned out

http://www.ceramex.com
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 October 2017 at 10:11PM
    AndyPix wrote: »
    This is quite expensive so i was wondering if anyone has had any results from the various fuel treatments that can be added to the diesel tank ??
    Putting additive in the tank still requires the car to be driven for a long enough period at high revs to get the DPF filter hot enough to do a regeneration.

In short you need to take it out for a drive on a motorway where you can maintain at least 50MPH and do it in a low gear so you're doing around 3000RPM or so and do that for at least half an hour to an hour. Chances are that although you've been doing motorway driving its been chugging along in top gear.
    daveyjp wrote: »
    It will have regen during the runs, but DPFs can only regen so many times before getting blocked with ash from the combustion process.

This isn't true, it depends on the types of journeys they do. The ones on the DAF CFs we have at work which are now 3 years old on well over 600,000km and do a 400 mile night trunk most nights are still on 0-1% on the dashboard display.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    AndyPix wrote: »
    ^^ Thanks for that - I thought as much ..

If found a decent garage near me that can do it "in situ" (still on the car) by heating it up extremely hot and monitoring it carefully during the process ..

They say this will be roughly £135 plus the dreaded (maybe a little more depending on the state of some seals and whatnot in my engine)

This seems good to me as most other quotes have come in around the £400 mark but that involves removing the unit from car ..

Do you see any drawback to doing it this way ?
    (apart from risk of setting car on fire obviously)

I like to save a quid where I can ;)

i personally would pay for the DPF off and a full dip of the DPF being done in to a solution that cleans it. That solves your problem for once and for all IMHO. Heating it sounds like a glorified attempt at a regen, and as for pressure washing it.... :rolleyes:
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Go to a dodgy back street garage, pay them to take the DPF off and jet wash it.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There are proprietary treatments that are not snake oil. Terraclean have devices and fluids to attach to cars and sort it out.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/wisemanmotors/videos/?ref=page_internal

shows it in action (3rd video - messed up link or Facebook being unhelpful) - it's not pretty!

I think it is reasonably expensive tho'
  • debtdebt wrote: »
    Go to a dodgy back street garage, pay them to take the DPF off and jet wash it.

Or an even dodgier back street garage that will remove it and reprogram your engine management to work without one. Surprisingly (or maybe not), there seem to be quite a few when you do a google search, perhaps trading standards and VOSA are short staffed?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 October 2017 at 8:22AM
    There are proprietary treatments that are not snake oil. Terraclean have devices and fluids to attach to cars and sort it out.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/wisemanmotors/videos/?ref=page_internal

shows it in action (3rd video - messed up link or Facebook being unhelpful) - it's not pretty!

I think it is reasonably expensive tho'

We were talking about fuel additives to clean the dpf when we talked about snake oil. Is theirs a fuel additive?
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    motorguy wrote: »
    We were talking about fuel additives to clean the dpf when we talked about snake oil. Is theirs a fuel additive?
    No, but in the general context of talking about dodgy fluids and dodgy backstreet garages, it seemed appropriate to be clear that some cleaning systems that use fluids do work and are legit.

I think the general point is, that with a blocked DPF you have to do something, and although there may be some hacks that might work, having a proper clean might work out cheaper than going for the hack and finding that it hasn't worked and being then charged for a full clean.

My experience is that there are dirty engines that have been modified to work with DPFs as a solution and they are prone to DPF issues and there are newer engines that were designed to run cleaner. The OP doesn't say how old his Beemer is, but I suspect it might be an early DPF model - cruising on a motorway should be perfect DPF territory unless he is thrashing it with lots of foot to the floor acceleration which produces soot. Apparently, blocked DPFs can then cause high oil level warnings as fuel is forced into the oil system so not worth messing with.

I drive my 220 Merc in all sorts of unsuitable conditions - short town journeys) and don't do a massive mileage and yet haven't had a hint of DPF issues, I think because it was designed for DPF at the start and I don't floor the accelerator (and it is automatic and can manage engine revs appropriately so it is always working efficiently).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure