Have you ever been stranded anywhere?

And for how long

I dont think I have properly but I would say when I missed a train and had to wait 2 hours for another

Comments

• busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Mallorca for an extra 7 days after the Ash cloud.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Florida after a dodgy charter airline went belly up in the 1990s. Think that was around 40 hours... took ATOL a little longer in those days, and we were stuck at the airport.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    No I haven't.
  • No I haven't either, and I don't think waiting 2 hours for a train is stranded lol��
    travelover
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 3 October 2017 at 7:33AM
    No I haven't either, and I don't think waiting 2 hours for a train is stranded lol��

And was it a train abroad?

This is the 'Overseas Travel' board.

The OP has a habit of starting threads asking questions like:
    'How...?'
    'What....?'
    'Who....?'
    'Have....?'
    but never comes back to the thread.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    A few days in Italy when a Ryanair flight from Frankfurt-Hahn had multiple bird strikes on approach, then came down hard and blocked the runway.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20081110-0
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I took a late night drive 15 miles from home one night about 11pm, to "bump into" some mates who were night fishing .... got to the deserted riverbank to discover that they weren't there at all. No worries, I'd go into the small town 2 miles away and fill up with petrol to go back to my home town.... except they didn't have a 24 hour petrol station, so I had to kip in the car until they opened.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    three times;

1996 in Brussels by the Eurotunnel Fire, We got a heads up via the BBC from the missus at home, went early to the station, ignored dim Railway staff advice to "await news", dashed to the airport and got the last affordable flights. Just as well; it was closed for months

2006 in Italy when London airspace was closed for three days by the lemonade-bottle-bomb terror plot which resulted in the "temporary" ban on liquids in hand luggage. Again, the missus in London was ahead of the news and tipped us off. So we got to the airport first but kept the hire car; were at the front of the queue for alternative flights and ended up driving from Puglia to Rome and spending an enjoyable but unexpected few days there with the god-children.

Another time, after a weekend in Barcelona, when the annual French Air Traffic Controllers strike cancelled a flight home from Girona; Next days' were full (a UK international match at Nou Camp), so we settled for an enjoyable extra 2 days in Girona itself with a subsequent bung from the travel insurance company. No sweat as we'd just retired so got a slightly longer pensioners' celebration.

And that doesn't include
    - falling asleep on the airport floor at Athens over 50 years ago,

- Brittany Ferries cancelling a car-ferry sailing back from Spain in 2105 (again, an enjoyably extended few days in our favourite Spanish hotel on the Insurance Company and the Ferry Co)

- waiting an hour and a half for the Isle of Wight ferry cause they were so busy this summer!

Better to travel hopefully...

(but with my track-record, maybe not with me?)
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Nearly.

Our rental car broke down in Mesa Verde National Park, southwestern Colorado. Another visitor gave us a lift to the visitor centre. The park's excellent security officer then spent most of the day on the phone to the rental car company, the car manufacturer (it was still under warranty) and a garage and a towing company in Cortez, and finally got them all to agree to a tow to the garage and subsequent repair, all at no cost to us. Then he gave us a lift back out to where the car was, and waited until the tow truck arrived to make sure all was ok. And he gave us half his lunchtime cake as well!
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 3 October 2017 at 3:40PM
    California for 8 days when that unpronounceable Icelandic volcano erupted in 2010.
    Virgin sent us to a very fancy hotel just along the road from Disneyland for 5 days then moved us to Long Beach for the remaining days.
    Some people were having meltdowns and behaving in a pretty embarrassing fashion :(
    We just made the most of our unexpected bonus 8 days expenses paid holiday! It was awful! :D :rotfl:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business