Bank Mail going to Incorrect Address

Hi All,

I changed address around six months ago and duly updated by bank records. I noted that no bank documents were coming my way, then on a separate subject I had a complaint with the bank and their written responses were not coming to me. It appears all my mail was sent to my original address and has either went missing or been scrapped/not forwarded by the current occupier.

Some of the information was of quite a sensitive nature and it alarms me that this has went to the incorrect address and possibly been seen by someone else. I have flagged this with the bank who have effectively said "it's not our responsibility and errors occur from time to time". I am not impressed with this response, do I have any rights at all?

Comments

• alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    How did you update bank address? Online? Phone? Branch? If bank's fault don't "flag" the issue. raise a written complaint headed as such. If no satisfactory reply escalate to the Ombudsman.

Under Data Protection laws the bank has a duty to keep records accurate. Information Commissioner may also be interested.

You may get a small payment for your inconvenience but if you have not suffered a financial loss that is all.
  • alanq wrote: »
    How did you update bank address? Online? Phone? Branch? If bank's fault don't "flag" the issue. raise a written complaint headed as such. If no satisfactory reply escalate to the Ombudsman.

Under Data Protection laws the bank has a duty to keep records accurate. Information Commissioner may also be interested.

You may get a small payment for your inconvenience but if you have not suffered a financial loss that is all.

The address was changed for me in branch.

I would not have thought any financial compensation would be due as this would only be seen as a data protection breach which the bank have already advised is minor.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The address was changed for me in branch.

I would not have thought any financial compensation would be due as this would only be seen as a data protection breach which the bank have already advised is minor.

If they have made a mistake then they'll typically pay you £25-50 for their error.
  • bigadaj wrote: »
    If they have made a mistake then they'll typically pay you £25-50 for their error.

That would be something, I have contacted them already on the data protection breach, I will outline again it is important.
  • Redirection of mail is a service anybody moving home should pay for.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,041
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Redirection of mail is a service anybody moving home should pay for.

That is such a no brainer as you usually end up forgetting something.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • The bank have just reiterated the above and advised they cannot be held responsible for letters going to old addresses as errors happen and I should have got said forwarded to my new address.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,829
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The bank have just reiterated the above and advised they cannot be held responsible for letters going to old addresses as errors happen and I should have got said forwarded to my new address.

Well, yeah, they can, it's their mistake if you changed it in branch and it didn't get actioned. While it is a good idea, obviously, to pay for redirection, if you've changed your address with them and they've not updated it then that is still their mistake.

Is this their response to a formal complaint (i.e. have they given you FOS rights in a letter?) If so, it's a bit surprising they've not given you £25 as a bare minimum, not least since a small goodwill payment reduces the chance of you going to FOS and costing them £550 whether they uphold your complaint or not.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • The bank have just reiterated the above and advised they cannot be held responsible for letters going to old addresses as errors happen and I should have got said forwarded to my new address.
    Complain to the bank again about their failure to act in your instructions.

Then complain about the oik who gave you the information quoted.

Ask for compensation for each.
  • The bank have back-tracked a little and issued an apology along with a £75 goodwill gesture, however they have advised this is the maximum I can expect for a data protection breach.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure