Leaving car in gear while parked- yes or no?

Comments

• iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    I've even heard of people parking gearbox only while on the flat.

I do this, especially in the winter. In really severe cold there can be issues with the brakes sticking. This certainly used to happen in the days of rear drum brakes.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • epninety
    epninety Posts: 563 Forumite
    If your car is shunted 10ft down the road, the state of the gearbox will have no effect on the scrap value of the remains.
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Will only leave in gear if on an incline (as well as wheels turned into and touching the curb if really steep).

VW group cars and the ford van I have insist that you press the clutch before it allows the engine to start - I assume to encourage leaving the vehicle in gear and to ensure that it doesnt jump forward when started.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Interestingly if you take the Eurotunnel they tell you to park in first gear with the handbrake on.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Always in gear.

No the impact wont hurt the gearbox. the tyres will lose grip long before that happens. Unless you have a rare car that will break its gearbox before it can spin its wheels.
    Otherwise known as a FIAT
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    In Saab cars, well maybe older ones only. You can't take the key out until it's parked in reverse gear.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Saw an accident once caused by someone leaving the car in gear when parked. I was at a large supermarket carpark. I was waiting in our car while the wife was shopping. A car parked opposite but one space down from us. An older woman and her daughter got out and went into the shops.

When they arrived the older woman was driving. They came back to the car and this time the older woman got into the passenger seat and the younger one into the drivers seat. She wasnt in the car properly, had the door open and one leg out but started the engine. Car leapt forward into a bollard. Front of the car was trashed, driver in floods of tears with an obvious and visible broken wrist and an injury to her leg.

If its only ever you who drives the car then whatever, but if you share the car with someone else then its a bit risky. Obviously the younger women should of been in the car properly and should of checked the gearstick but we all make assumptions and we all shortcut checks from time to time.
  • securityguy
    securityguy Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    In Saab cars, well maybe older ones only. You can't take the key out until it's parked in reverse gear.

To my certain knowledge (as I've owned them) true for 96, 99, old 900, new 900, all 9-3, all 9-5: mostly cars with ignition on the floor. Not true for 9000, as it has the ignition on the steering column. For autos, they lock in park. It started on cars like the 96 with a column shift and then when the shift went down to the floor on the 99 the ignition lock went with it. Later cars (9-3, certainly) have a steering lock as well, done by solenoid, but on most of the older stuff the reverse lock is instead of a steering lock.
  • agarnett
    agarnett Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2017 at 4:58PM
    It is quite an entertaining subject this, and just shows how wide a spectrum of skill and in understanding of the mechanics there is amongst the licensed driving public!

There is of course no right answer for everyone. There may be a more consistent answer if we were discussing just one make and model.

I have driven so many different cars that I long ago lost count. Thesedays I hire a different one almost every week and they vary quite a bit in the handbrake department. Some are manual, some are auto. Some are an interesting mix or something else! I am thinking of a 9-tronic Merc at one end, and a Toyota hybrid at the other. The Merc I would generally trust to sort itself out as its onboard computers are the business. The Toyota I would set the handbrake in most cases.

Fairly obviously, automatics should be left in "Park" but many modern ones do that automatically when they recognise you have switched off. Whether you use the handbrake depends on whether you are a letter of the law fanatic, or can make a reasoned judgement based on your knowledge of whether the car can possibly move on the slope you leave it on.

Older manual cars are probably the main thing we are talking about in the thread. I almost always leave those in first gear on the flat with no handbrake if I am leaving it for any length of time. I add modest tension handbrake if there is any noticeable slope. If it is a very steep slope I also give an extra notch on the handbrake, steer into the kerb, and I might even select reverse gear instead of first.

Some handbrakes, even on more modern cars are very mickey mouse ... not so much long levers with buttons, but silly switch-like controls (but nevertheless mechanically operating). I am thinking of a Citroen I used to own moons ago which "let go" when the missus parked it on a steep slope. She always made sure it was left in gear too when parking after that.

I too am conscious of the possibility of a less conscientious driver jumping into a manual car after me. If I know it is a possibility e.g. when returning a hire car or handing over a car to a neighbour, I do not leave it in gear (to avoid exactly the sort of accident that MataNui describes). In that case, if I have to leave the vehicle on a slope, I might give it an extra notch on the handbrake.

I would never leave my own car for any length of time with handbrake yanked on needlessly. As has also been said, many brake mechanisms can get semi-locked on/stuck on especially in damp cold winter conditions.

And just to add an alternative not yet discussed, I have another vehicle which is long term stored in a large building with other vehicles. In that case I leave it out of gear and no handbrake on so that third parties could push it or tow it out of the way if there was a fire for example.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    To my certain knowledge (as I've owned them) true for 96, 99, old 900, new 900, all 9-3, all 9-5: mostly cars with ignition on the floor. Not true for 9000, as it has the ignition on the steering column. For autos, they lock in park. It started on cars like the 96 with a column shift and then when the shift went down to the floor on the 99 the ignition lock went with it. Later cars (9-3, certainly) have a steering lock as well, done by solenoid, but on most of the older stuff the reverse lock is instead of a steering lock.

...and just to confuse matters further, one of the Saabs that I owned also had its handbrake on the front wheels!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure