PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What Type of Washing (Laundry) Cleaning Product Do You Use?

Comments

• THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Tesco non-bio powder-it doesn't upset DDs ecezma. There may be other powders that are ok but I'm happy with that one and not inclined to risk experimenting.

I have some non-bio tablets which I take if we go on holiday-less messy than powder
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Fairy tablets. I've got sensitive skin so am reluctant to chop and change in case I end up with something that makes me itch. I keep meaning to get the powder as it's cheaper, might do that next time I need some, I was worried about the faff of measuring some out and spilling it everywhere.

OH uses some sort of liquid for colours. Yes, we use different washing detergents :p. I'm worried about trying his and I think liquid gunks up the machine. He refuses to use my powder on his clothes as it says it has some sort of bleaching agent in and he wears a lot of black clothes.
  • lobbyludd
    lobbyludd Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    THIRZAH wrote: »
    Tesco non-bio powder-it doesn't upset DDs ecezma. There may be other powders that are ok but I'm happy with that one and not inclined to risk experimenting.

I have some non-bio tablets which I take if we go on holiday-less messy than powder

this is what I use, for exactly the same reason, other own brand and label non-bios are horrible for her - except waitrose, and that is too pricey. I've started using soda crystals and vinegar on towels and things that get a bit over dirty - interested in the soap nuts though - how are they for sensitive skin?
    :AA/give up smoking (done) :)
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I use a tablespoon of Daz, about the same of soda crystals and a splash of vinegar in the softener drawer. I buy when on offer and a box lasts me months!
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    For whites, sports stuff and OHs dirty work clothes (he does a manual job) I use powder. Buy a big box of whatevers on offer and it lasts me months.

For everything else I use supermarket own brand liquid. I am a big Aldi fan but not keen on the smell of their liquid, just a personal thing I guess.

With both I use less than recommended.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I used to use powder, whatever was on offer but am currently trying out HM powder which seems to be working well - didn't want to make the gloop because of having to have it laying around somewhere. DH is completely unaware that i'm not using powder from the shops but if he realises I'm sure he'll say something along the lines of "surely we're not that skint!" LOL.

Denise
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    joedenise wrote: »
    I used to use powder, whatever was on offer but am currently trying out HM powder which seems to be working well - didn't want to make the gloop because of having to have it laying around somewhere. DH is completely unaware that i'm not using powder from the shops but if he realises I'm sure he'll say something along the lines of "surely we're not that skint!" LOL.

Denise

I make my own now but that reminds me of a time i used to refill a large brand box with a basic brand and soda crystals, i got caught out when after DH did the shopping he wanted to return the brand powder he picked up because it was faulty it had loads of blue bits in :D while i was at it i also confessed that the hand soap, shampoo and most other bits we had were all "carp" basic brands that he had failed to notice, he shut up once i called him a closet snob:rotfl:
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    mysk_girl wrote: »
    I used gloop for a while, I used an old nappy bucket - would that be small enough? A 4l batch would cost about £1 and last a month or more. I stopped making it when I had a difficult pregnancy and then a very small baby, but she's 5 months now - I need to start again!

Thanks mysk_girl, looks like I'm probably better off sticking to my current method if it's £1 a batch. As I said I'm not quite half way through a box which has lasted 8 months so far, for less than £5, I only do an average of one wash a week :)
    joedenise wrote: »

Denise

HM = home made powder joedenise? How do you make it, and can you give an idea of cost/quantity please? Ta :)
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 26 April 2013 at 5:40PM
    Someone has suggested liquid or gel clogs up the waste water areas of the machine and pipes.

It's also been suggested Soda Crystals fade colours...

Has anyone else heard this?
  • Willowpop
    Willowpop Posts: 856 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I use formil powder from Lidl.
    PAYDBX 2016 #55 100% paid! :j Officially bad debt free...don't count my mortgage.
    Now to start saving...it's a whole new world!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure