Baby steps to mortgage freedom for beanielou.

Comments

• Butti
    Butti Posts: 5,014
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Watched a programme this morning on Billionaires and the problems they have. Basically trust and paranoia and a very large security bill. Did have some comedy gems - the bloke they spotted in the back garden. They thought he was a burgler. Turns out he was an assassin.

See, there are some problems we DFW'ers don't need to worry about!
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,099
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Beanie do you have a local mobility shop where you can go to look at scooters or they bring them to you? The shop brought a selection to our house for Mr SA to try (although his is rented). They often do refurbished ones for around £375.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £227.29/£600 March NSD:9 March Surveys £
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,817
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Beanie do you have a local mobility shop where you can go to look at scooters or they bring them to you? The shop brought a selection to our house for Mr SA to try (although his is rented). They often do refurbished ones for around £375.

Went today.
    Was a bit of a disaster.
    I cannot lift even their lightest weight one enough to get in the boot.
    To have a hoist fitted is £1, 300.
    All happened at wrong time as I have not long got the new car.
    I could have cried & nearly did.
    The whisper (or similar name) which they dont do but had one in for repair was so light weight it is liable to tipping which you could see. It was in for repair as had tipped & broken & injured person on it :eek: :eek:
    Gutted to be honest.
    Not sure where to go from here.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    Ambassador
    Butti wrote: »
    Watched a programme this morning on Billionaires and the problems they have. Basically trust and paranoia and a very large security bill. Did have some comedy gems - the bloke they spotted in the back garden. They thought he was a burgler. Turns out he was an assassin.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Every cloud...........
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    We're having a hoist fitted for £200 and that's a heavy weight one, a lighter one is only £175 currently on the scheme. Look at swapping the car - they will help you find the right car and hoist for you. Honestly it's a life saver x
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • beanielou
    Ambassador
    Unfortunatly I have only had car about five weeks.
    I was hopping when car ordered that I would not need scooter so soon.
    As you know last big fall I had was not the best & really shook me up.
    Also I had no idea that so called light weight scooters so heavy.
    To be fair the mobilty place we visited were helpful & honest & would not have let me buy the scooter anyway. Not many places you could say that.

• beanielou
    Ambassador
    Pooky wrote: »
    We're having a hoist fitted for £200 and that's a heavy weight one, a lighter one is only £175 currently on the scheme. Look at swapping the car - they will help you find the right car and hoist for you. Honestly it's a life saver x

Thanks as always Pooky.

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite

An "I failed ninja school" assassin apparently.

99df8d080a58012cef080a08c8db5f19--super-funny-aunty-acid.jpg

beanielou wrote: »
    Went today.
    Was a bit of a disaster.
    I cannot lift even their lightest weight one enough to get in the boot.

Yes, they do all seem rather heavy. And again I can't understand why. A full-size carbon road bike weighs 8kg, which shows what's possible.
    The whisper (or similar name) which they dont do but had one in for repair was so light weight it is liable to tipping which you could see. It was in for repair as had tipped & broken & injured person on it :eek: :eek:

Yes, those two front wheels close together didn't look that grand.
    Gutted to be honest.
    Not sure where to go from here.

Pooky's hoist is a possible path forward.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Beanie, so sorry the times are so troubled for you :( I wish I knew a way forward that would help.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Guessing thast the cost of the hoist fitting depends on the car it's being fitted to although could be wrong on that? Some thoughts though
    - have you contacted the motobility people about potentially needing to get the car changed? If I remember correctly the scheme is meant to take account of the fact that folk have changing needs.
    - Where is the quote you've had for getting the hoist fitted from? if main dealer then ask in the mobility shop whether they have suppliers & fitters they can recommend?
    - As a short term measure might one of the wheeled walker frames with the seat fitted be a help? Means when you are out and about you can at least stop and take the weight off if you need to without having to try to find a chair? That in turn might allow you to do more and so stay more active without getting yourself to the point of exhaustion that I imagine makes falls more likely? (And I imagine would be light enough to easily get in and out of the car?)

I'm certain there is a solution out there - we just have to find it.

No assassins here, thank goodness!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills